Linux Lite 8.2 RC1 Released - Click here to read



Posted by: koloss66
03-01-2014, 01:10 PM
Forum: Sound
- Replies (3)

hi
the subject says it all, there is a Little noise in the headphone and i can barely hear the music i tried alsamixer but it didn't work



Posted by: busprof
03-01-2014, 03:37 AM
Forum: Introductions
- Replies (2)

If you've read Valtam's post HERE then you've already seen why I'm offering thanks to the Linux Lite development team and community.  Those are my students in the photos working to provide computers to college and high school kids in our area who can't afford them.  As I said in the email Valtam posted, we are using Linux Lite because it provides the best platform possible for our needs and for the needs of those receiving the systems.  So I'm joining the forum to say "thank you" to the LL community.

I'd like to offer a bit more background on our project.  We've been doing this for almost 3 years now.  When we started, we were using a Debian netinstall CD plus a shell script I wrote to download and install an XFCE desktop environment, applications that would be useful to students (Libreoffice, email, IRC client, and so on) and a bunch of other utilities for printing, photo management....you get the picture.  The script worked out well but we had to constantly test and update it to keep pace with Debian's changes.  When we started this year I was looking for an "out of the box" solution that would eliminate the need for scripting and testing, and Linux Lite came to my attention.  Long story short - Linux Lite is the perfect solution for our needs.

I've been using Linux for longer than I care to admit and I've been involved in one new distro launch/development effort in the past (the project is gone now) so I hope that I can add something to the community.  I'm also using Linux Lite on my "main" laptop (I'm running three different distros on four different systems - don't know why but there it is!).

Thanks again to all of you here at Linux Lite - in particular to Valtam and the developers.  You have no idea how beneficial your work has already been to us and to the young people who receive the systems we rehab.

Cheers!


  *

Posted by: Coastie
03-01-2014, 01:05 AM
Forum: Off Topic
- No Replies

*



Posted by: ohjrson
02-28-2014, 11:58 PM
Forum: Network
- Replies (19)

Hey peeps.
I have a Dell latitude 640 that I have installed Linux Lite 1.08 to. Everything works great except one thing. It is not recognizing that there is a wireless adapter. I know this because when I had Zorn 7 OS on it there was a wireless connection and it did connect to my network. I need help in trying to figure out why this is happening.

Thanks.
LH



Posted by: Coastie
02-28-2014, 09:57 PM
Forum: Suggestions and Feedback
- Replies (20)

Preview does not seem to be working for the last couple of day. When I click preview, it just says fetching preview for a while. I give up and just post then edit if I see any typos, etc.



Posted by: valtam
02-27-2014, 12:20 PM
Forum: Off Topic
- Replies (5)

Some interesting visitor stats for the month of February to the Linux Lite community.

[Image: uCKbNS1.png]

[Image: nucymsm.png]

[Image: b6S4thf.png]

[Image: XyFjtmN.png]

[Image: YzW2vcY.png]



Posted by: otengpinoy
02-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Forum: Video Cards
- Replies (6)

how can i load right display driver? video card is nvidia fx5500. thanks...

[attachment deleted by admin, more than 25 days old]



Posted by: valtam
02-27-2014, 06:02 AM
Forum: Off Topic
- Replies (11)

Got this amazing email today:

Dear Linux Lite Team:

I thought you might be interested to know that we are using Linux Lite to rehab donated systems that will be provided free of charge to students (both college and high school) in our area who can't afford to buy their own equipment. We selected Linux Lite for a number of reasons, but the main factors were:

1.  Linux Lite runs well on older systems.
2.  Linux Lite provides great user documentation available right from the desktop - critical for new Linux users.
3.  Linux Lite is built for long-term support.
4.  Linux Lite is easy to use, even for new users.
5.  Linux Lite provides access to the Ubuntu repos - with a wealth of free/open source software available.

Most of the donated systems are at least 5 years old, with a few even older.  We have successfully installed on 3 P4 machines with 1G of RAM (one with 512MB!) and the systems all run well.  

I'm linking to four photos of some of our students working on a group of 8 desktops.  We finished all 8 during this session, 8 others in a previous session, and have also installed on 3 laptops.  We have a few more donated systems upon which we will install Linux Lite in the next few days.

All 19 completed systems are now in use by the students we selected.

Thanks for providing such a robust, easy to use, easy to install system.

Here are links to the photos.  Please share these with your developers and the Linux Lite community.

[Image: p3n0dZ4.jpg]

[Image: dMPo8fg.jpg]

[Image: hEz9iRD.jpg]

[Image: uZ0e0y7.jpg]

[Image: success.jpg]



Posted by: Mr Plod
02-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Forum: Network
- Replies (4)

Before I converted I was on Windows 7 and the lappy WiFi would pick-up at least 6 of my neighbours signals in addition to mine.
Since changing over to LL I can only pick up my own WiFi, but I have to be very close to it as the signal is very weak.
For example, it is currently showing 2 bars & a signal strength of 51% and the computer is only 2 feet away. If I move away, I lose connectivity after only about 20 feet.


System Brief:

Huawei E5331 Mobile Broadband WiFi



Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter



Wireless Properties

===================

Network Name:    3Mobile

Bit Rate:    72Mb/s

Transmission Power: Unknown

Mode:        Managed

Status:        0

Link Quality:    51

Signal/Noise:    -61/151945464



Security:    WPA & WPA2 Personal



iwconfig

--------

wlan0    IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"3MobileWiFi-b1e1" 

          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: 0C:37Big GrinC:B3:B1:E1 

          Bit Rate=72.2 Mb/s  Tx-Power=20 dBm 

          Retry  long limit:7  RTS thr=2347 B  Fragment thr:off

          Power Management:off

          Link Quality=47/70  Signal level=-63 dBm 

          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0

          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:2436  Missed beacon:0

lo        no wireless extensions.
eth0      no wireless extensions.

System Info Attached
Thanks

Mel..

[attachment deleted by admin, more than 25 days old]



Posted by: valtam
02-25-2014, 11:48 AM
Forum: Linux Lite Software Development
- Replies (1)

Source code available from: https://github.com/linuxlite If you would like to help with these projects, please see here first - https://www.linuxliteos.com/code.html


Placed into 3 categories:

Public, available to install now:
  • lite-usermanager
  • lite-manual
  • lite-welcome
  • lite-software
  • lite-cleaner (known as Lite Tweaks)
  • lite-fonts
  • lite-upgrade
  • whiskermenu
In development phase:
  • nothing
Future:
  • lite-time
  • lite-bootscreen
  • lite-login