Hello
I came across this during a Web search which I found good amd feel could be helpful to other New users who are converting from Windows and want an easy guide of how Linux-Lite does the tasks you are used to . It is for Lite 1.0.2 but the basics appear to be the same .
http://www.itdesk.info/linux_lite_basic_...ndbook.pdf
Colin
Looking for a spot of help please.
Converted my old business xp esprimo to LL 1.0.8, connected printer via USB, perfect printing! Can even print from my eos laptop and bohdi netbook over WiFi.
BUT
Can not scan?
LL scanner app just doesn't accept the fact that there is a scanner attached?
Any ideas?
Cheers!
Hi,
On my system, Rsyslogd sometimes stops logging to files. It's random and happens maybe every other week. It doesn't coincide with any changes or updates.
I found a diagnostic that told me to run the following command:
/usr/sbin/rsyslogd -f/etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf -N1
The output is:
rsyslogd: version 5.8.6, config validation run (level 1), master config /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf
rsyslogd: WARNING: rsyslogd is running in compatibility mode. Automatically generated config directives may interfer with your rsyslog.conf settings. We suggest upgrading your config and adding -c5 as the first rsyslogd option.
rsyslogd: Warning: backward compatibility layer added to following directive to rsyslog.conf: ModLoad immark
rsyslogd: Warning: backward compatibility layer added to following directive to rsyslog.conf: MarkMessagePeriod 1200
rsyslogd: Warning: backward compatibility layer added to following directive to rsyslog.conf: ModLoad imuxsock
rsyslogd: End of config validation run. Bye.
So, it looks like I have to add -c5 as the first syslogd option.
The problem is, I have absolutely no idea how to do this. Can anyone help please?
I have found a nicer themed IRC client that you may want to look into. The QwebIRC client looks really dated and I thought that this might help to make IRC a little more user friendly to use. Also: No Captcha Phrase Required to Enter! Makes it easier on the visually impaired. This is Free and Open Source, fully coded and scripted in JavaScript. No Adobe Flash Used! It is called Kiwi IRC.
Their main site is here: https://kiwiirc.com/.
They also have a GitHub page if you want to look at that here: https://github.com/prawnsalad/KiwiIRC.
Lastly, here is a link I set up for you to directly connect to chat.freenode.net, port 6667, on channel #linuxlite. Nickname is left blank for user to choose.
https://kiwiirc.com/client/chat.freenode...ocommunity.
If you would like to setup another link to directly connect to a network, it is as simple as changing the URL to match the IRC server and channel.
-http://kiwiirc.com/client/chat.freenode.net/channel_name-
IRC Server Channel Name
(no # number sign prefix before the channel name)
Substitute the IRC Server (if needed) and then the "channel_name" to the respective IRC channel to directly connect to (do not put a # number sign prefix on the channel name). I added dashes in the link so that it isn't clickable. Copy and Paste the URL without the dashes and substitute the appropriate information.
That is really it! Hope this helps others get support on IRC instead of having to get support to use IRC!
Update: Since the #linuxlite IRC channel closed down recently, I updated the link to instead connect to the #linuxdistrocommunity.
The built-in speakers on my laptop seem to have stopped working since i installed Linux Lite 1.0.8. S i've posted the sound portion from a system report. Hope this helps.
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC271X Analog [ALC271X Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Help Please 
Have clock on desktop showing dd/mm/yyyy and time 24hrs bottom right hand side screen, Task Bar ?
However saved mail record on Thunderbird has mm/dd/yyyy. On Thunderbird Help it states that TB takes time from the PC's clock
What have i done wrong. Is there any way I can change this? Don't want to have to reinstall.
Thanks.
Just downloaded and took a look at Lite 2.0 Beta and it looks and works faultlessly (and fast). Glad to see it's based on 14.04 LTS "Trusty" so will be supported for quite a while. I still have Lite 12.04 LTS on two desktops but when I find time to upgrade to this newer version I'll definitely do so. Still no boot up on my old non-pae laptop (Pentium M) so will have to pass on that one until I replace the CPU. How do you get so many good things packed into 699 MB?? Mystery of the ages. Cactusneedle in Arizona, USA
Hi,
I am new to this OS.
I have a fresh installation of Linux Lite v2.0. The logging function in /var/log/syslog is not working--in fact, most of the logs show 0 bytes, despite me getting acquainted with the OS all day long.
I use iptables and depend on syslog to monitor network activity. Is there some configuration I must apply to enable logging?
Also, my iptables configuration is not being restored at boot-up from /etc/iptables.rules. I am following the same steps that always work on Ubuntu--placing the restore command as a pre-up instruction in /etc/network/interfaces. It would be nice if I didn't have to retype the iptables rules after each login! Does anyone know where I should put this command?
Thanks in advance.
Hi first of all thanks to all responsible for the new Lite 2.0 have been using it since it first came available for download as yet no major problems.
I have been having trouble uninstalling Libre Office suite once i have done the uninstall i am left with the icons in the office menu,
Clicking the icons do nothing as the software is no longer there i would just like to delete the icons as well as the software.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Some people had concerns about UK locale support:
Quote:Is there a fix in 2.0 for the "Locale Change" issue...
Changing the locale to "English UK" causes the main menu items names for "Install Updates" & "Help Manual" to change.?
Did a virtualbox test on this using Lite 2.0 Beta 32bit. I'm in the states so I'm not exactly sure what to look for after the change to UK locale. The only change I noticed was "trash" changed to "rubbish" in the file manager. I didn't notice any main menu item changes for "install updates" or "help manual."
Here's what I changed:
language support > language tab > drag English (United Kingtom) to top of list
language support > regional formats > change "display numbers, dates, currency ... " field to English (UK)
apply system-wide
Did I do this correctly? If there's anything else I can test let me know.
