You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

New user

Author (Read 5731 times)

Re: New user
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 08:37:43 PM »

skippy95

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi, drrdf. As to the autostart files and directories, I have a custom LXDE setup so most of my autostart files/directories do not match to the default. The one directory I am certain matches is /home/[username]/.config/autostart which contains .desktop files of programs that are autostarted. You can delete any program file from that directory that you do not want autostarted. Sorry I can't help more.

This may sound strange, but you might try completely removing numlock then reinstalling to give numlock a new configuration. My thoughts are: numlock came preinstalled and any programs having dealings with numlock knew that (for example, Lite Tweaks and LightDM). If you completely remove and then do a new install of numlock, the mystery setting that keeps turning it on might dissapear, note I said maybe:)

Command to completely remove numlock:  sudo apt-get purge numlock
(Purge removes all configuration files for that package.)
To error on the side of caution, I would reboot so other programs that have dealings with numlock see that it is no longer installed and adjust accordingly (hopefully).
Now reinstall numlock:  sudo apt-get install numlock
Then go to Lite Tweaks and ensure that numlock is turned off.

I cannot promise this will work, but at this point, almost anything is worth a try. When I was using straight up Ubuntu, I did this once or twice for some programs and it actually worked, but then other times it didn't seem to change anything. Please let us know.

Good luck, skippy95
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:55:26 AM by skippy95 »

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 10:40:51 AM »

drrdf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD 4200

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia
Hi newtusmaximus,

Thanks for your further reply. I will try what you suggest, Thanks.

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 10:38:50 AM »

drrdf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi trinidad,

Thanks for your reply. I can assure you that I am using the same BIOS default numlock setting in all installations. It may be that this problem in Linux Lite only occurs with certain hardware  I have just noticed after searching that there are several other earlier topics posted on this forum concerning the same problem with numlock settings.

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 10:31:18 AM »

drrdf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi Jerry,

No, I have just tried setting the BIOS to numlock ON and it does not make one iota of difference to Linux Lite. Despite all the options in Linux Lite being set to set to numlock OFF they are still disregarded and Linux persists with setting to numlock ON at log in. Thanks for your help.

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 10:15:22 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Many laptops actually hibernate rather than shutdown thus making certain changes can be confusing to new Linux users. Generally, (even though this is not a normal Linux function) NICs and a few other functions still run a while after shutdown. If you are confused by certain changes not taking effect immediately, try the following. To shut a laptop down completely press the shift key down and hold it before clicking shutdown, click shutdown and don't release the shift key until the laptop goes off. Laptops conveniently have battery power and many modern lap BIOS have this feature OEM default. It doesn't matter whether or not Windows is still on the machine. Numbers lock is often an issue on laptops because of  fn keys some even with triple functions. Common sense and knowing your laptop usually makes numbers lock a non-issue. Install the suggested default. Other things that can mess up changes to installs on machines that hibernate for a while at shutdown are dysfunctional cmos clocks and drive changes. Because of the nuisance of battery removal with laptops, it's best to reset the BIOS to factory default first, set the cmos clock, shutdown, restart and then make the changes you need to the BIOS, and then install Linux via a media boot.

Also any Linux system using lightdm will display the same issue with numbers lock, and you should always use whatever the BIOS default is for numbers lock during installation. The fact that you are having the same issue on several machines tells me you are not using the BIOS default numbers lock setting during installation. I'm approaching 100 installs, and have only had to deal with the numbers lock issue once, but then I always default the BIOS and set the clock before installing LL on any machine that I am preparing for someone else.

TC 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:30:53 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 10:14:32 AM »

drrdf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi newtus maximus,

Thanks for your reply. I will try that on the laptop; but of course there is exactly the same problem on my desktop PCs.

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 10:10:37 AM »

drrdf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your reply. "Numlock is a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Have the system enable it at login and you have people question your motives, have it disabled, the same effect. Either way, one side will not be happy." Well I take your point, but this is not an instance of one or another as you claim. It is an instance of the supposed facilities in the OS not setting the numlock option to what the user prefers and selects, and indeed in the case of laptops and some desktop PCs distorting the keyboard so as not to permit log in with some alpha characters, so as to always enforce numlock ON whatever the user does, selects or wishes.

I have never met this situation in any other OS so this is clearly a one-off OS problem. My point is that although I have now installed Linux Lite on 4 desktop PCs and on one laptop they all then have the same problem. The supposed facilities in Linux Lite to give an option of numlock OFF if that is what the user prefers do not work; and always ultimately despite these settings Linux Lite always boots up with numlock ON. That to me suggests a bug associated with the supposed option settings, which do not work. What is the point of having these supposed setting options if they do not work?

I have just thought of an outside chance. What if I set the BIOS option to numlock ON? Linux Lite might then reset it to numlock OFF as selected in the all available options?

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 08:53:31 AM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

I too have had the persistent number lock problem on installing on  lap tops.  I am not sure whether there is something retained in short term memory which  resists the tweaks route.  What I tend to do on fresh installations is follow out the Language and keyboard settings after installation, double check tweaks num lock setting,   and then type something in Libre Office to check that all is working OK typewise. Then log off and switch laptop off , leave switched off for say 10 or so minutes  and then reboot.  That seems to do the trick on most occasions.    It is a bit of a hassle; not sure why this all has to be done, i.e. not done at the initial installation stage.    I found this very off putting when embarking on LL, but persisted with the help of the forum. 
Worth the effort in the long run as IMHO  the benefits of LL outweigh the initial hurdles of setting up.
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 08:26:51 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Numlock is a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Have the system enable it at login and you have people question your motives, have it disabled, the same effect. Either way, one side will not be happy.

I begin to wonder whether there is a bug in the Linux Lite code causing this? Thanks for your help.

Not that I can see. It's either one, or the other :)

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 08:03:30 AM »

drrdf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your reply. I had already checked in Lite Tweaks previously and numlock was already set to OFF. The system still evidently pays no attention to that, and on all of my PCs with Linux Lite installed (including one Sony laptop) the systems all default to numlock ON, overriding the BIOS setting of numock OFF. I begin to wonder whether there is a bug in the Linux Lite code causing this? Thanks for your help.

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 07:58:42 AM »

drrdf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi skippy95,

Thank you for your reply. I have tried your suggestion of the line "greeter-setup-script=/usr/bin/numlockx off". Mine was already set to OFF. Nevertheless I deleted the line as suggested. It makes no difference whatsoever, and the system still defaults to numlock ON at log in. (Prior to log in it is at numlock OFF, so clearly something in the OS is contravening that and forcing numlock ON at log in.)

I am not familiar with the autostart files and directories; could you please let me know where to find those and check them? Thanks for your help.

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 06:34:35 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Numlock setting has always been in Lite Tweaks.

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 06:28:26 AM »

drrdf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi newtusmaximus,

Thank you for your reply. I must admit that I had not realised that it was necessary to set some of the same parameters all over again manually which had already been set during the installation process. I had as I mentioned already set the numlock option in menu/settings/keyboard  = untick  number lock, to OFF, but that had made no difference.  I tried all of your other suggestions, but no difference I am afraid. As soon as I log in to Linux Lite it defaults again to numlock ON. So it needs some other solution. Thanks for your help.

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 11:33:45 PM »

skippy95

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Re: numlock
My install had /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf configured to autostart numlock.

To disable numlock if this is your case:
1] Command:  gksudo leafpad /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
Enter your password > lightdm.conf is opened in leafpad
2] Look for this line in the file:  greeter-setup-script=/usr/bin/numlockx on
Remove this line from the file > Save file > Close leafpad
On your next login or reboot, numlock should not be on

If this is the case, then lightdm is overriding your BIOS settings and I don't know as I like that.

Another thought, did you check your autostart files and directories for any entries pertaining to numlock?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:41:53 PM by skippy95 »

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 12:49:17 PM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

Just in case. Have you manually set the Language to English UK and also the Keyboard to  English UK   ( I also delete English USA) and the appropriate layout.   menu/settings/language support.  Also menu/settings/keyboard  = untick  number lock  also Layout = Untick  Use system defaults  - Check Layout is English (UK) &- delete others.  and set keyboard model as applicable for the machine -    Bit trial and error I am afraid.
I usually choose a simple password  on setting up - one that does not use  effected keys. and then change the password later when all set up.    Then work on internet connection wifi setup.

Hope this makes some sense-
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 12:53:59 PM by newtusmaximus »
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section