You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Installing 3.2 to Dell 5755 Inspiron?

Author (Read 4235 times)

Re: Installing 3.2 to Dell 5755 Inspiron?
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 10:32:42 PM »

PinStripe

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD QUAD 4

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ATI RS780L [Radeon 3000]
I did this... but now I'm having an issue with Bluetooth being choppy and low quality sound. I posted a new topic for this, as well.

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 07:34:17 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
What's wrong with choice I outlined above?

Key question in my mind is "How often do you plan on booting into Windows?"

Sounds like you rarely use Windows, so doing mixed-mode install of LL won't cause much inconvenience to you.  Just set computer to boot in Legacy mode, use LL as you normally would and on the rare occasions that you want to boot into Windows, go into UEFI settings and change to UEFI mode booting.  When done, switch back to Legacy mode so computer automatically starts LL again.

If you plan to frequently switch between OSs, then yes this is cumbersome and will get annoying quickly, (so install Mint); but if you're only going to use Windows once a month it's no big deal.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 02:51:22 PM »

PinStripe

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I've never set my modem for anything other than WPA- Personal. So there should be
no reason it wasn't offered. But I edited the connection and found the option there
instead.

At this point, I see two options for me to do... Either wipe the drive and install LL -OR-
Simply install Linux Mint XFCE under UEFI and not worry about it. Though I have had
the best luck with LL 3.2 out of all OS's I've tried.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 12:20:00 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
@ PinStripe,

You can either wipe-out Windows, set mode to Legacy, disable "Secure Boot" and install LL as only system, or you can keep Windows in UEFI mode and install LL in Legacy mode.

LL can not be installed (easily) in UEFI mode, but you can install it in Legacy mode while keeping Win10 installed in UEFI mode.  What you'll end up with is a mixed-mode dual boot system.  Boot computer in Legacy mode to use LL and change to UEFI mode to boot Windows.  (Grub menu will not offer choice to boot Windows in this setup.)

Boot into Windows and use its Disk Management program to reduce size of main partition (probably "C: drive") to make room for LL installation.  (Just leave resulting space unformatted -- don't make any partitions from within Windows.)  Disable Windows "Fast Startup" (which is on by default).  Disable "Secure Boot" in UEFI Settings/Setup menu.

See this tutorial for installing in Legacy mode on GPT partitioned disk (which is what you have if Windows is installed in UEFI mode).  Ignore warnings at beginning and skip down to "Make your new partitions" step under "Instructions" heading.  Follow steps to make partitions and install system.  When done, computer will boot LL when you choose Legacy boot mode in UEFI/(Bios) Settings and Windows when you choose UEFI boot mode.

Quote from: PinStripe
EDIT: I just booted up into the Live 3.2 edition and tried connecting my wifi and the security option only offers WEP!
What?? Where is WPA??
Double-check your wifi router to make sure it's set for WPA and not WEP.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 11:02:48 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
removed
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:09:04 AM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 10:07:36 PM »

PinStripe

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Well, thanks... but I think that if I were to simply Wipe the drive and disable secure boot and run in legacy,
I will be able to run Linux Lite no problem. Linux Lite IS built on Ubuntu. So I don't see that there would be
any issue there.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 09:55:54 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello PinStripe,

the Dell Inspiron 5755 is certified for preinstall of Ubuntu, it says it may or may not work with standard images - https://certification.ubuntu.com/hardware/201503-16986/

I am not familiar with dual booting, I have only single OS computers, 3 Linux Lite , one Windows 10.
I use VB for other OS within Linux Lite, it may be possible to use windows in VB on Linux Lite instead of dual booting, maybe someone has tried this ?

This computer I bought without any OS installed, it is UEFI, using legacy it runs Linux Lite very well, I needed a lot of help from the community here is the process involved and help I needed, it may differ by system - https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/installing-linux-lite/installing-ll-3-2/

Installing 3.2 to Dell 5755 Inspiron?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 08:08:03 PM »

PinStripe

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I just got this laptop and it does have Windows 10 installed under UEFI.

Can I install LinuxLite if I were to WIPE WinBlows from the drive?

Just disabling UEFI and Secure Boot?

I wanted to do a dual boot, but if it's not possible, then I will wipe Win10 out.
I really don't care for Windows as I have not ran it since the release of Win8.
But still some programs I run require Windows or Mac to run them. I have a
Mac, but I was going to sell it.

What are my options?

Or do I go back to Mint XFCE?

EDIT: I just booted up into the Live 3.2 edition and tried connecting my wifi and the security option only offers WEP!
What?? Where is WPA??
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 08:35:29 PM by PinStripe »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section