You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Install Updates could not fetch the package cache - Could not get lock

Author (Read 843 times)

Re: Install Updates could not fetch the package cache - Could not get lock
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 12:57:19 AM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
Any software installation or update process (like a manual update, a background update or running a package manager (like Synaptic) requires exclusive access to update resources and will lock them while running to prevent another update process starting.  If one update process has locked the resources and a second one tries to start, the second will not be able to get the resource and will generate a message like this.

Usually all that is needed is to wait until the first process completes (or close Synaptic) to release the resource.
Depending on the speed of the connection and the size of the updates, the resource may be locked for a significant time.  This is especially the case after a fresh installation as many updates may be being processed.
If the problem does not self-resolve when the first process is finished, it is possible that something (like an interrupted update) may have broken the mechanism and more investigation will be required to clear the lock.
clueless

Install Updates could not fetch the package cache - Could not get lock
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 07:44:30 PM »

milo1303s

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 6Gb
Could someone please help me out again This is what I'm getting now

===========================
Install Updates Error log
===========================
Install Updates could not fetch the package cache information lists.
Go to https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/ and paste the log below into the Software - Support - Updates section for assistance.

============ Log ===========

Reading package lists...
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock. It is held by process 5343 (apt-get)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

How do I fix this

Thank you Bob C.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 12:57:03 AM by stevef »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section