You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Terminal Confusion

Author (Read 3543 times)

Re: Terminal Confusion
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 03:31:40 PM »

paul59

Using the terminal is often referred to as using the 'command line'. I wanted to take the negative stigma on linux out of using the word 'terminal' as this is often a scary word for newbies. 'Command Line' is just more appealing, and less intimidating. Cheers.

Yup, it's just the number of different terminals that are pre-installed that I was highlighting... maybe if there was just one it would be less confusing (not to me but to those new to Linux)?

Paul

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 05:33:09 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Using the terminal is often referred to as using the 'command line'. I wanted to take the negative stigma on linux out of using the word 'terminal' as this is often a scary word for newbies. 'Command Line' is just more appealing, and less intimidating. Cheers.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 06:12:34 AM »

Kirkx

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce 8500 GT / Nvidia 340.76
I have been puzzled by those "raw" terminals as well. There seem to be at least two of them and they look identical. Try:

alt+f2 - uxterm
alt+f2 - xterm

You can change the size and the title of LXTerminal:

Code: [Select]
x-terminal-emulator --geometry=95x25
Code: [Select]
x-terminal-emulator --geometry=95x25 -t "Window Title"
I have actually changed my Ctrl+Alt+T shortcut to open LX terminal at 95x25.
LL 2.4, Xubuntu 14.04.2, Debian 8, Manjaro

Terminal Confusion
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 04:48:29 AM »

paul59

I'm happy enough using the terminal (having started with DOS) even though my knowledge of the 'command set' is not very broad. That said, I find the different terminals and way they are referred to somewhat bewildering. For example:

I open a terminal using the default ctrl+alt+t and a get an instance of lxterminal with a 'Command Line' title bar.

I decided to change mine to just say 'Terminal' by editing the shortcut and see it is referred to as TerminalEmulator which I believe is the xfce reference to the default program for this task, like 'WebBrowser'.

However, if I execute 'x-terminal-emulator' from the terminal i just opened I get another instance of lxterminal, with window title lxterminal.

If I execute lxterm I get an instance of 'uxterm' which looks like the 'raw' xterminal.

All very confusing (at least to me!) and I wonder if things couldn't be tidied up somehow?

Paul

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section