You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Trouble loading Xwindows during boot

Author (Read 3523 times)

Re: Trouble loading Xwindows during boot
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 10:45:33 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Re-installing packages does not give indication that something is not broken, but it is something else to check off in the troubleshooting process. By bug I was referring to error in the code.

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 10:24:15 PM »

sameck

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I just attempted to use the Synaptic package manager to re-install (Mark for Reinstallation) the light-locker (1.4.0-0ubuntu1) and light-locker-settings (1.2.1-0ubuntu1.1) packages.  As far as the package manager is concerned both packages re-installed successfully and are not broken.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 10:03:23 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

The tell tale sign may be the fact that the "Light Locker Settings" menu will not stay open.  Its window opens only momentarily, barely enough time to read the window heading then closes.

A few people have reported this, I'm wondering if this is a bug in Light Locker. Something I'll look into.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 10:00:32 PM »

sameck

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hey Jerry.

The only setting that has been changed from the default is the Power Manager>On AC>Monitor>inactive timeout setting.  It has been moved to 25 minutes and I only did this after the original problem had become manifest.  The tell tale sign may be the fact that the "Light Locker Settings" menu will not stay open.  Its window opens only momentarily, barely enough time to read the window heading then closes.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 02:49:37 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

You listed a number of issues here, normally these would be split up and tackled one at a time in the appropriate Forum sections. The first we will address is the screen locker. Check Lite Locker, Screensaver and Power Manager settings in Menu, Settings, make sure there are no conflicting settings.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 02:51:54 AM by Jerry »

Trouble loading Xwindows during boot
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 07:48:57 PM »

sameck

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I'm having trouble loading Xwindows during boot.  This became a problem a couple of days ago after I ran the "Install Updates".  It downloaded about 180 MB worth of files as part of the updates.  I reloaded Firefox after the updates installations completed and Firefox duly mentioned that updates would be installed upon restarting.  This worked without issue.  I did not attempt a reboot until the next day and, unfortunately, it has been problematic ever since.  This problem has also occurred after the system has been idle where the screen locker has locked the user account and the monitor has gone to sleep.  The only recourse is to power off the PC.

Generally, it fails to finish loading the Xwindows interface login screen after the OS appears to be loading drivers (using <ESC> at the boot [feather] splash screen).  The mouse cursor appears but the screen stays black behind it.  I attempt the login as if the login screen had appeared but this does nothing.  It doesn't happen every time though.  I am writing this from the booted installed OS but it took 4 attempts to boot before it succeeded.  Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot the problem?  Am I better off simply re-installing the OS?  Is there anything you would wish to learn here.  I am willing to be of service if you would like to investigate this but I don't know whether it would be useful to you or not.

Linux Lite: 2.2 installed on USB 2.0
Brand: MSI
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+
Ram: 2gb
Video Card: GeForce G210
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 10:49:30 AM by Scott(0) »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section