You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Grub editor needed

Author (Read 11655 times)

Re: Grub editor needed
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 07:24:06 AM »

nomko

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • My personal Linux site

• CPU: Intel Core i7

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4th. Gen. integr. GPU/Nvidia GeForce GTX860M

Because you can render a machine unable to boot its dangerous if someone is unable to repair can lead to data loss. Repeating the same warning is never a bad thing. Keep in mind LL user base target is new users.

Well....it's not dangerous. It only creates an inconvenient situation where the user is not able to boot it's system. Dangerous are some terminal command lines which can wipe your whole disc including important data/files. Dangerous is crossing a very busy street with your eyes shut.

Data loss while editing Grub? Never heard of that...
My laptop:
MSI GE70-2PE*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160

I don't need Google, my wife knows everything!

My Linux website

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 01:23:46 AM »

shaggytwodope

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Shaggy's Blog

• CPU: Intel i5 4440

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 4600
Quote from: shaggytwodope
Editing grub is dangerous
Please explain.

My input here is, that as long as you know what you're doing, it's not dangerous. Before editing the Grub, best is to save a backup copy in case things might turn to the wrong side. Booting up with a live cd/dvd and it's easy to replace the corrupted Grub with the old (back upped) Grub.

Be careful, can render your machine unable to boot.
This warning makes more sense.

Because you can render a machine unable to boot its dangerous if someone is unable to repair can lead to data loss. Repeating the same warning is never a bad thing. Keep in mind LL user base target is new users.
The Truth is out there.
Be sure to check the Manual out and always report Bugs or feature requests.

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 01:17:44 AM »

nomko

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • My personal Linux site

• CPU: Intel Core i7

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4th. Gen. integr. GPU/Nvidia GeForce GTX860M
Editing grub is dangerous
Please explain.

My input here is, that as long as you know what you're doing, it's not dangerous. Before editing the Grub, best is to save a backup copy in case things might turn to the wrong side. Booting up with a live cd/dvd and it's easy to replace the corrupted Grub with the old (back upped) Grub.

This warning makes more sense.

Quote from: rogeerh
I need a grub editor. I saw a sudo command that was supposed to do it but gedit was not found.
Editing the grub file didn't work.
Before doing anything stupid, what do you want to edit exactly? What command did you saw? Were did you saw it? Provide us with more info please and, if possible, a link to a website you saw that sudo command.

And beside the above, sudo is a terminal input, not a Grub input. In a terminal when you want to run a command which need root, you type sudo first and then the command you want to run. Sudo has nothing to do with Grub. But first provide us with answers on the above questions .
My laptop:
MSI GE70-2PE*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160

I don't need Google, my wife knows everything!

My Linux website

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 10:23:36 PM »

shaggytwodope

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Shaggy's Blog

• CPU: Intel i5 4440

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 4600
Editing grub is dangerous, with that in mind the text editor shipped is leafpad. Replace that with any command in the guide using gedit.

The Truth is out there.
Be sure to check the Manual out and always report Bugs or feature requests.

Grub editor needed
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 10:09:12 PM »

rogeerh

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: dual core

• MEMORY: 4Gb
Hi;

I need a grub editor. I saw a sudo command that was supposed to do it but gedit was not found.
Editing the grub file didn't work.
Any ideas? I installed Linux Lite specifically for this, to dual boot Between Win10 and XP

Roger

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section