You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite 4.0 Final Released

Author (Read 323903 times)

Re: Linux Lite 4.0 Final Released
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2018, 10:56:27 AM »

rijnsma

• Forum Regular
  • Never give up..
    • View Profile
Works fine after some time! Gksu is also there (not anymore in Ubuntu-likes at the moment).
Thanks a lot for the hard work and the great result in a changing world.

Systemback gone. Now how do I make an ISO and/or a pendrive of my system?

But after that, In my opinion this is the most handsome Linux at the moment!  8)
This was curiosity about Linux developement, I use 3.8 until end. Still great too.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:59:29 AM by rijnsma »

« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2018, 06:08:50 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Is it possible to upgrade from 3.8 to 4 without a clean install?  Thanks.

No. Upgrades are within the same series number

« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2018, 05:43:01 PM »

jeffneedle

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: don't know

• MEMORY: 256mb

• VIDEO CARD: don't know
Is it possible to upgrade from 3.8 to 4 without a clean install?  Thanks.

« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2018, 05:17:56 AM »

drrdf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD 4200

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia
Hi Ottawagrant,

Well in part that might be a good thing; but the remaining problem is SSE2. It seems very few 32-bit cpus support SSE2.

I have however found a solution myself. To continue to run a 32-bit PC without SSE2 the best OSs now are Q4OS and LXLE. Then if you use the browsers Midori, Qupzilla, QtWeb or TazWeb they seem to work in these OSs. (LXLE is supplied with SeaMonkey, but I find this slow and clumbsy.) I prefer Midori myself. Interestingly I found that Midori will not run in LinuxLIte on a 32-bit cpu without SSE2 for some reason, and almost instantly crashes. Since the last updates have been applied to version 3.8 I have found that Firefox and Synaptic Package manager continuously crash anyway on my 64-bit PC; this is probably due to faults resulting from changes in Ubuntu, but nevertheless it is all an example of, as real Engineers say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Software nerds have not yet learned that lesson.

Running my 64-bit dual core PC on LXDE there are none of these problems.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:59:46 AM by drrdf »

« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2018, 06:41:46 PM »

Ottawagrant

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Duo Core 2 E8400 @ 3.00GHz

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43
To drrdf- I'm glad that Kubuntu, Lubuntu, or Xubuntu all have, with the Ubuntu 18.04 release, a 32bit version. I would not suggest using Kubuntu if you want a lighter OS. But with Lubuntu & Xubuntu 32bit is their core user base. Supported until April 2021. Can't beat that.
There was talk here about a year ago of doing a stripped down version of Linux Lite. Remove everything except the bare OS. Jerry has no time for it, and was not interested in the project. It was a community/fan based idea, and would have been run/supported by same. NOT for everyone, or someone new to Linux. But I thought it was an excellent idea. Maybe we can beat the drum & get some interest in getting the project going?

« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2018, 05:43:20 PM »

drrdf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Whateverything: Thank you for your reply. What you suggest may be true; but if it is then I would think it goes against the ethos of Ubuntu, which seemed to concentrate on an OS for mainly third world PCs, which tend to be old?

« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2018, 05:39:33 PM »

drrdf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Vera: thank you for your reply. It seems that you have misunderstood my post and the purpose of it. Of course we are all very grateful to Jerry. It may be as whateverthing has posted that Ubunutu have ceased producing a 32-bit version, although I doubt it, since Ubuntu is mainly aimed at third world PCs which tend to be old. My point was in any case not moaning about a 32-bit version being no longer available, but about continuous bloat, which is now an increasing problem amongst more and more Linux distros. I moved over to Linux lite myself because I was previously using Linux Mint for many years but found their continuous bloat too much in the end. Finally I feel that to continue to call this OS Linux lite would be now misleading.

Of course I have investigated other Linux OSs as a result have found two which will run both on 32-bit and 64-bit PCs also without SSE2, and suit my needs. They are both based directly on Debian. My needs are little and I am not a gamer.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 05:19:57 AM by drrdf »

« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2018, 03:47:26 PM »

whateverthing

• Occasional Poster
  • design enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr: KarHutWhat

• CPU: Core 2 Duo P8600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GMA X4500

• Kernel: 4.x
So Linux "lite" has now gone the way of so many of the other Linux distros, ... 32 bit platforms are now excluded ...

It's unfortunate. But as I understand it, the main reason is that Linux Lite 4.0 is based on Ubuntu 18.04, and Ubuntu no longer supports 32-bit architecture. So it's an upstream problem.
=Karl=

« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2018, 10:32:24 AM »

Vera

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Enjoying Linux Lite.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Quad Core 1.6GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon
@drrdf - I understand that you miss the 32-bit version. At the same time, let's remember that Jerry is doing this (i.e. developing a Linux distro) himself on a volunteer basis. Maybe we could all be grateful for how long we had 32-bit, instead of upset that it's no longer being available.

I am sure it was similarly hard for Jerry to say goodbye to 32-bit too, but let's think about how much of his time he is using up. If he would be making 2 versions of each release (one for 64 bit and one for 32 bit) then it would take so much more of his time than just one version. Since there are more and more 64 bit computers around and less and less 32 bit, it makes sense that he'd focus on just the 64 bit version. Anyone else who was working on something on a volunteer basis would probably make a similar decision, just because of how much time they're using up.

If you personally need a 32 bit version, one possible solution is that you could consider putting in the time and effort to learning how to install one of the distros that specialize in multiple architectures and who therefore support 32 bit. For example as far as I can tell from my research, Gentoo is a possibility (see this thread on the Gentoo forums https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1073184-start-0.html). If you feel like this is too much time and effort for you to do, then by the same token it would be rather unfair to expect Jerry to put in the time and effort to develop an entire extra version that many people are not using.

I'm not saying you should be forced to throw out your 32 bit computer if you still like it and if you have environmental concerns about getting a new computer (although if you ARE looking for a reason to get a new machine this is a good time! - most software is only being developed for 64 bit now).  I'm saying instead of having no option but to get a new computer, it might be more up to you to step up and do something about getting Linux for your 32 bit machine, not up to Jerry.
Using Linux Lite for everything now. I put it on my desktop and my laptop. Woohoo!

« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2018, 08:39:55 AM »

drrdf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

So Linux "lite" has now gone the way of so many of the other Linux distros, copying Microsoft with ever-increasing bloat. 32 bit platforms are now excluded and the resource requirements are now increasing. So all older platforms should go to landfill so far as Linux Lite are concerned and with each bloat Linux lite runs slower and slower unless users buy a new gamers' platform. Not a good thing I fear also for energy useage.

I suggest that to continue now with the name "Linux Lite" will be a delusion. It is no longer light or lite. Perhaps the name should now be changed to Linux Waslite with release 4.0 and onwards?

« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2018, 03:13:32 AM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7020U

• VIDEO CARD: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

• Kernel: 5.x
Hi All
I stumbled across this the other day via a youtube post from Joe Collins (an avid Linux user). Later that night i downloaded it on to my laptop and have it running via virtual box with out any issues and its great - i really like the look and features

I have then bought 2x Intel Nucs for a Job where Linux Lite would be great for these in the warehouse - scaled down and easy to use

However although using SSD they are taking close to 1min to boot and there is an error along the lines of 'video card not activated'
So i suspect this is the reason for the long boot time
This also happened after a re-install of the OS unfortunately i have had to revert to another Linux OS

Is this an issue others have had. can you help me rectify the issue?

Regards

To fix the video card not activated message I have made changes to /etc/default/grub

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

Changed the above to
# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
GRUB_TERMINAL=console
Updated grub after saving changes and closing the file

For the long boot. Did you do the following?

sudo apt purge virtualbox*
sudo systemctl stop vboxadd.service
sudo systemctl stop vboxadd-service.service
sudo systemctl disable vboxadd.service
sudo systemctl disable vboxadd-service.service

Then go to Menu, Settings, Session and Startup, Application Autostart. Untick vboxclient.
Reboot and see what the boot time is now.
Life on earth is expensive but it does include a free trip around the sun.

« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2018, 02:46:33 AM »

MrG247

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Celeron

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: unknown
Hi All
I stumbled across this the other day via a youtube post from Joe Collins (an avid Linux user). Later that night i downloaded it on to my laptop and have it running via virtual box with out any issues and its great - i really like the look and features

I have then bought 2x Intel Nucs for a Job where Linux Lite would be great for these in the warehouse - scaled down and easy to use

However although using SSD they are taking close to 1min to boot and there is an error along the lines of 'video card not activated'
So i suspect this is the reason for the long boot time
This also happened after a re-install of the OS unfortunately i have had to revert to another Linux OS

Is this an issue others have had. can you help me rectify the issue?

Regards

« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2018, 06:27:05 AM »

atpersian

• New to Forums
  • IT consultant
    • View Profile

• CPU: intel pentium 3556 1.7GHz 2MB L3 cashe

• VIDEO CARD: 1Gb

Thank you very much to the LL team.
i install linux lite  4.0 14 day ago and after that i get update via command and lite update  even last night but lite system information still show last update 14 days ago.
B R

« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2018, 01:07:31 PM »

Richard B

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Code: [Select]
sudo apt purge virtualbox*
sudo systemctl stop vboxadd.service
sudo systemctl stop vboxadd-service.service
sudo systemctl disable vboxadd.service
sudo systemctl disable vboxadd-service.service

This has effectively halved the LL 4.0 boot-time on my PC. Essential tip when running on bare metal!!! :)
Glad you made use of it :)

Sent from my Mi Max using Tapatalk

Firstly, thanks for LL4 (looking good) and for the above note. To add some figures, using a wiped 500MB HD with 2GB Ram and a Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.4GHz I made fresh installs of LL3.8 and LL4.0, each in half of the HD. Boot figures from Grub to log-in prompt were:

For LL3.8 - 19 seconds
    For LL4.0 = 62 seconds with no tweaks
    For LL4.0 - 28 seconds after following the above.

For "selling" Linux to new users first impressions count. While getting back to 19 seconds would be nice I think over a minute is too long. I think that having a "Speed up startup" entry in Welcome would be a very good thing. And/or a start up option. I'm guessing but I think that most users seeking to preserve old hardware (such as the ex-Vista machine I used) will not be using vbox.
Desktop: Running LL5 on second HD in ACEPC model MK1: "Mini PC 4GB RAM 64GB ROM Windows 10 Celeron J3455 Processor Mini Computer Dual HDMI, Support mSATA / 2.5 inches SSD/HDD 4K, Dual Band WiFi, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0". Don't normally use the supplied W10. Also use LL on netbook (Using xrandr to "expand" the screen) and various old laptops. NAS drive and web server hosted by Raspberry Pi's.

« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2018, 04:50:31 AM »

Paul74

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core I3 M380, core 2 Duo 8400, AMD x64 5000

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Cedar

Thanks for this new release.
I installed it yesterday night without any problem, installation was very straight forward.
I will install it on others 64-bits PC later.
No problem at this time.
LL 4.8 running on Dell Optiflex 760
LL 4.8 running on Asus X52J
LL 4.8 running on Toshiba Satellite C670-14W
LL 3.8 (32 bits) running on HP Pavilion
LL 5.0 running on Samsung RV515

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section