You are Here:
Linux Lite 7.0 RC1 Released - See Release Announcement Section

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Release Announcements / Re: Linux Lite 7.0 RC1 Released
« Last post by Jerry on Today at 04:06:11 AM »
We'll be using @sqwuade lite tweaks file, thank you.

zenity how has webkit disabled in the newer Ubuntu packages, so we put a mark hold on zenity and zenity-common
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/zenity/+changelog
« Last post by Jerry on Today at 04:05:12 AM »
Clear Recently used items now stored in ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml under "recent" type="array" around line 92.

The recently cleared option isn't viewed as a deal breaker for me.
« Last post by sqwuade on Today at 03:46:04 AM »
Try this for a lite-tweaks fix:

Copy the /usr/bin/lite-tweaks file from a 6.6 install and move it to your 7RC1 machine.  B00M!  It's fixed!

Almost... but the "Whisker Menu Recent Apps" tweak won't work.  I have a working copy of the lite-tweaks script with all references to "Whisker Menu Cleaner" removed here:

https://digitalhemi.com/files/apps/Linux/LL7-RC1/lite-tweaks

I'd recommend this version be used in the 7 release, unless we can can get the "Whisker Menu Cleaner" tweak fixed before then.

The version of the lite-tweaks script included in 7-RC1 had all references to the Whisker Menu tweak commented out - but somehow, that's what causes the whole thing to fail.  Once I just deleted all of  the Whisker Menu lines, instead of commenting them out, it worked fine.  You can also uncomment all of the Whisker Menu lines and it will work - and Whisker Menu Cleaner will show up again but won't work.  More info on the reason here:

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=17478
« Last post by sqwuade on Today at 03:20:11 AM »
That file not longer exists in Whisker Menu 2.8 Trinidad.  The old version was 2.7.1 (In LL6.6).  I've been talking to someone named ToZ of the Xfce board about it and they confirmed that the "Recently Used" apps data is not stored in the whiskermenu-10.rc file any longer.  I don't know why that whiskermenu-10.rc.backup file still exists in there but I know the one you're talking about - I saw it in there too.

I was able to get the Recently Used apps to clear via lite-tweaks after modifying the script using Toz's method.  The new xfconf method doesn't require you to logout and then back in for the changes to manifest either, so that's a plus.  I agree: "The whiskermenu recent items tweak is something we could live without since recent only populates ten anyway." The same thing can be done by just right mouse-clicking a Recently Used App icon and selecting "Clear Recently Used"

Here's the info I got from ToZ on the Xfce message board:

The Whiskermenu migrated to using xfconf for its settings in 2.8. You can view them through the xfce4-settings-editor - look in the xfce4-panel channel, /plugins tree.

Specifically I'm trying to figure out what replaced the functionality that used to happen on line 2 of that file

Its now stored in the "/plugins/plugin-XX/recent" property.

And is there a way to clear the Recently Used apps via a terminal command or can it now only be done via the GUI?

You can use xfconf-query. Here are some examples (my whiskermenu has an ID of 13):

Display the current list of recent applications:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /plugins/plugin-13/recent

Edit an array:
Unfortunately there is no easy way to delete and insert entries via the command line (you can do it much easier through xfce4-settings-editor). To do so via the command line, you need to re-create the array with all entries:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /plugins/plugin-13/recent -t string -s "gimp" -t string -s "inkscape"

##############

Source:

because the path/file "$HOME/.config/xfce4/panel/whiskermenu-10.rc" no longer exists in LL7
The backup is in ~/.config/xfce4/  The current whiskermenu-10.rc file is not anywhere, appears to have never been created even though a backup was created in the wrong folder. May just be a menu libre or XFCE change issue but of course tweaks won't work without a file path. The whiskermenu recent items tweak is something we could live without since recent only populates ten anyway. Anyway I've noticed too many PATH changes comparing files between 6.6 to 7.x. Before I come to any conclusions why this would occur I'm going to install a new 7.x system and sort them out from scratch. Once that is done because Lite-Tweaks is essentially a c2 server I'm going to add a policy-kit.service specifically for it and a regular /var/rotating log. Right now I'm hating on Ubuntu and Debian. PKLA was always more secure and usr merge has been a pain.

TC
[/quote]
« Last post by Jerry on May 19, 2024, 09:32:25 PM »
Screen shot of the odd Timeshift behaviour.

Timeshift window with odd name and snaphot saved as 'Jammy'
Text file showing the start of the Timeshift log getting the distribution name (line 2)
Terminal window showing the system is running 7.0 rc1

This is from a fresh (Erase disk) installation.

It's probably getting the naming from the /etc/lsb-release file.
« Last post by Jerry on May 19, 2024, 09:29:27 PM »
@sqwuade Following your discussion on XFCE forum.

Will the plugin number be the same on all LL 7 installed systems or is it randomized (hit or miss) during installation given it's a plugin? And what happens if new plugins are added after the fact? Why did LL 7 installation still generate the .rc.backup, but in the wrong location? Caused by an unexpected shell change?

I think lite-tweaks is a signature application of Linux Lite and it is important that it not be abandoned in this release.
TC 

We're keeping it in.
Installing Software / Re: Has anyone ever installed Waydroid on LL ?
« Last post by Jerry on May 19, 2024, 09:27:17 PM »
Nice :)
« Last post by Şerban S. on May 19, 2024, 01:15:40 PM »
[...]
I think lite-tweaks is a signature application of Linux Lite and it is important that it not be abandoned in this release.
TC

I strongly agree with that!
I use it, my wife uses it.
As far as I could see, on the mentioned thread, is given a sample code on how to deal with the "random ID":
Passing the contents of the variable, might solve more than one problem.
Anyway, some of the scripts are working fine: Lite Software, Lite Widget. I tested those today.
I also thought maybe another solution would be useful.
Since all "Lite *" tools reside in /usr/bin/*, maybe creating a directory /usr/bin/litebins/* and place all those there and a liteapps.conf would prevent such events from happening in the future.
The liteapps.conf file, can then hold whatever data is required for all apps to work. Further more, it can be used for future developments.
One might be some snippets to test the existence of a certain file in a certain directory and if the test fails, perform a search and retrieve the new value, or, if this is the case, create it and eventually the needed file(s).
When I was still programming, this was my approach to avoid path/missing file errors.
Maybe that is due to my backup and personal data philosophy (I hate using system directories for my data, I use dedicated partitions).

Best regards!
« Last post by trinidad on May 19, 2024, 11:41:35 AM »
@sqwuade Following your discussion on XFCE forum.

Will the plugin number be the same on all LL 7 installed systems or is it randomized (hit or miss) during installation given it's a plugin? And what happens if new plugins are added after the fact? Why did LL 7 installation still generate the .rc.backup, but in the wrong location? Caused by an unexpected shell change?

TC 
« Last post by stevef on May 19, 2024, 11:28:04 AM »
Screen shot of the odd Timeshift behaviour.

Timeshift window with odd name and snaphot saved as 'Jammy'
Text file showing the start of the Timeshift log getting the distribution name (line 2)
Terminal window showing the system is running 7.0 rc1

This is from a fresh (Erase disk) installation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 7.0 RC1 Released - See Release Announcement Section