You are Here:
Linux Lite 7.0 RC1 Released - See Release Announcement Section

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Release Announcements / Re: Linux Lite 7.0 RC1 Released
« Last post by stevef on Today at 10:44:50 AM »
Several unexpected things so far in my experience.
Installed into unallocated space on a test system alongside existing LL5.8 and LL6.6 systems. Not a VM.

During the installation, the body of the 'Install' window is blank/white where the usual graphics which promote the features and enhancements during the copy files, install system and set up phases would be expected.  The progress bar and the descriptive text appear in the window below the white space as expected.

Shut down, remove media, start up to desktop ok.
Needed to change the keyboard layout via 'Control Panel' - this is normal.

Tried Lite Tweaks which failed as reported.

Ran Timeshift to create a snapshot.
Unusually, the window title was 'Timeshift-gtk' rather than 'Timeshift'.
Secondly it didn't step through the set up wizard as I'd normally expect on first time use.
It just presented the Rsync/BTRFS choice page.
After manually doing the set up, clicked 'Create'.
On completion, the snapshot just created was reported as being Ubuntu 22.04 (jammy) instead of the expected Ubuntu 24.04 (noble).
Not sure how Timeshift gets the system information, but inxi and the llver file both report for LL7.0

Then tried running Lite Updates (from the panel icon).
The system asked for authorisation and the first stage of update check appeared to work ok.
However at the point where the system should report the proposed upgrade list and ask for confirmation to proceed, the 'Linux Lite Updates' window remained blank/white and the system became unresponsive.
No mouse movement, no keyboard indicators toggle, on screen clock stopped.

Powered off/on.  Ran update/upgrade from the terminal ok.
« Last post by trinidad on Today at 08:46:32 AM »
he progress bar looks like it's freezing
I've noticed this with certain updates even on 6.6. The updates complete but the progress bar doesn't move.
because the path/file "$HOME/.config/xfce4/panel/whiskermenu-10.rc" no longer exists in LL7
The backup is in ~/.config/xfce4/  The current whiskermenu-10.rc file is not anywhere, appears to have never been created even though a backup was created in the wrong folder. May just be a menu libre or XFCE change issue but of course tweaks won't work without a file path. The whiskermenu recent items tweak is something we could live without since recent only populates ten anyway. Anyway I've noticed too many PATH changes comparing files between 6.6 to 7.x. Before I come to any conclusions why this would occur I'm going to install a new 7.x system and sort them out from scratch. Once that is done because Lite-Tweaks is essentially a c2 server I'm going to add a policy-kit.service specifically for it and a regular /var/rotating log. Right now I'm hating on Ubuntu and Debian. PKLA was always more secure and usr merge has been a pain.

TC   

« Last post by sqwuade on Today at 06:35:09 AM »
No errors when updating after booting from the installed version on the SSD.

There seems to be an issue with the Balena Etcher program when trying to install it via Lite Software.
Installing Software / Re: Has anyone ever installed Waydroid on LL ?
« Last post by Jean-Marc B on Today at 05:00:27 AM »
Hi,

Thank you for your interest in my post, and sorry for answering so late.

First, be assured I've no illusion what so ever concerning Android.

I was interested in Waydroid just out of curiosity and obviously my mini laptop is way too old to hope to have something functionnal.

What I find lacking in ANY Linux distro is a decent audiobook reader. I DO love audibooks, since I've less and less spare time to read, but the only audibook reader software I know about for Linux is "Cozy" which I find rather bland.

Many people would answer that any music player will read audiobooks. True, put putting a bookmark is a MUST while ready audiobooks and no music player (that I know off at least) does that.

You know everything now.

Hi!

Hi folks !

[...] "Waydroid" [...] there're 2 apps I can't really find an equivalent on Linux [...]

Can you provide more specific details on the Apps you are interested in?
Specifically, what functionality you think Linux Lite misses, and Android offers?
I have a tablet with Android and it's collecting dust since I never could find any use of it.
Privacy on Android, is just a myth.
All people here are on Linux exactly for this reason, among many others.
The idea of "Free Apps" on Android, is exactly this: an idea. The so called "free apps", are actually personal data mining tools, nothing more.
Most of them, provide personal data on at least two layers level of "third party" cookies. Usually, the chain of "third party" is way longer than that.

Another thing you are missing, is the level of resources available on a smartphone: 8 cores and at least 4GB of RAM.
Far more than that, you should read about VMs (Virtual Machines). What they are, what they do and mostly, HOW.
Waydroid, is nothing else than a Virtual Machine, running on a Linux host.
What it means is that machine resources, are split in three ways:
1. Linux itself;
2. Waydroid, which hosts a custom Android version;
3. Android (which is in fact the guest OS).
So, if you think you can run this on a low specs machine, you're on a wrong path.
The small size factor of a smartphone has nothing to do with its computing resources.
What I want to point out here is that All Android versions run on very powerful machines.
Unless you have an octacore CPU on your device, it is unlikely that this solution will work.
We're talking here about 2024 stuff (hardware and software).

So, in the end, what exactly do you want to do on Linux and it is impossible to do, without Android?
Name the outcome you desire and someone here, might offer you maybe more than one solution.

Best regards, Șerban!
« Last post by Jerry on Today at 03:53:12 AM »
Not the live version.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Last post by sqwuade on Today at 01:41:31 AM »
Yes, I get an error when in Live mode and trying to update.  Here's the log info from it:

===========================
Install Updates Error log
===========================
Install Updates could not fetch the package cache information lists.
Go to https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/ and paste the log below into the Software - Support - Updates section for assistance.

============ Log ===========

Ign:1 cdrom://Linux Lite 7.0 - Release amd64 dists/ InRelease
Ign:2 cdrom://Linux 22.04 - Release amd64 dists/ InRelease
Err:3 cdrom://Linux Lite 7.0 - Release amd64 dists/ Release
  Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Err:4 cdrom://Linux 22.04 - Release amd64 dists/ Release
  Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Hit:5 http://repo.linuxliteos.com/linuxlite galena InRelease
Hit:6 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble InRelease
Hit:7 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-backports InRelease
Ign:8 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu noble InRelease
Hit:9 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-security InRelease
Hit:10 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-updates InRelease
Err:11 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu noble Release
  404  Not Found [IP: 185.125.188.12 80]
Reading package lists...
E: The repository 'cdrom://Linux Lite 7.0 - Release amd64 dists/ Release' does not have a Release file.
E: The repository 'cdrom://Linux 22.04 - Release amd64 dists/ Release' does not have a Release file.
E: The repository 'http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu noble Release' does not have a Release file.
« Last post by Jerry on May 17, 2024, 09:34:48 PM »
Thanks @sqwuade

Is anyone having issues with Lite Updates in 7x? ie. the progress bar looks like it's freezing?
« Last post by sqwuade on May 17, 2024, 09:25:58 AM »
Did you get the 127 error code too Trinidad?  I saw it every time the script crashed when I was initially testing it.

The " '[' 127 -ne 0 ']' " part was being generated from line 786 where "127" was the output of PIPESTATUS(0)

Code: [Select]
if [ "${PIPESTATUS[0]}" -ne "0" ]; then _clean_up; exit 0 ; fi # If Quit is clicked then exit
anyway the PIPESTATUS(0) array was being populated with the error code 127

Generally means command not found so usually something is out of wack with the PATH system variable. Only a few things could have caused this, given that the previous 6.6 code worked fine. Policy kit is iterated differently between 6.6 and 7. The polkit.service file path in systemd is slightly different with the full service configuration being written directly in the .service file in 7 but daemonized in 6.6.
systemctl status polkitCompare between the two.
Given that it's a c2 (command) server perhaps Lite Tweaks user has to be added to polkit.service and/or path to User must be iterated differently in Lite Tweaks.

TC

« Last post by sqwuade on May 17, 2024, 09:07:37 AM »
The new Welcome screen app graphics look great Jerry!  Nice work!

I made some more progress on the lite-tweaks issue.  I was trying to figure out why the zRAM tweak no longer worked in LL7 and was thinking there was something with the script that couldn't be interpreted with the newer version of bash - WRONG!

The crux of the problem with lite-tweaks on LL7 is that the Whisker Menu tweak was commented out and somehow that threw a bug in the script that caused trouble with the zRAM portion of the script to exit with a 127 code.  https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-fix-bash-127-error-return-code

I.e. the lite-tweaks script (/usr/bin/lite-tweaks) from LL6.6 works fine in LL7! - except for the fact that the Whisker Menu tweak no longer functions properly.  The reason the Whisker Tweak no longer works is because the path/file "$HOME/.config/xfce4/panel/whiskermenu-10.rc" no longer exists in LL7, and the Whisker Menu tweak script tries to replace the data on line 2 of that file with "recent=" (thereby deleting the "Recently Used" apps from the list.)  The new version of Whisker menu apparently stores that data elsewhere or in a different way.

I went through the lite-tweaks script and deleted all of the references to the Whisker Menu tweak and now the zRAM tweak works fine in LL7.

Here's the revised lite-tweaks script with the references to the Whisker Menu statements removed.  It works fine in LL7 and the zRAM tweak is back in it:

https://digitalhemi.com/files/apps/Linux/LL7-RC1/lite-tweaks

Scott

« Last post by trinidad on May 17, 2024, 08:14:59 AM »
anyway the PIPESTATUS(0) array was being populated with the error code 127

Generally means command not found so usually something is out of wack with the PATH system variable. Only a few things could have caused this, given that the previous 6.6 code worked fine. Policy kit is iterated differently between 6.6 and 7. The polkit.service file path in systemd is slightly different with the full service configuration being written directly in the .service file in 7 but daemonized in 6.6.
systemctl status polkitCompare between the two.
Given that it's a c2 (command) server perhaps Lite Tweaks user has to be added to polkit.service and/or path to User must be iterated differently in Lite Tweaks.

TC

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 7.0 RC1 Released - See Release Announcement Section