You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Updates / Re: update error after install - locking problem
« Last post by stevef on Today at 11:58:22 AM »
Any software update process (like a manual update, a background update or running a package manager) requires exclusive access to update resources and will lock them while running to prevent another update process starting.  If one update process has locked the resources and a second one tries to start, the second will not be able to get the resource and will generate a message like this.

Usually all that is needed is to wait until the first process completes and releases the resource.  If the second attempt to update/upgrade worked then all is well.

If the problem did not self-resolve it is possible that something (like an interrupted update) may have broken the mechanism and more investigation would have been required to clear the lock.
Installing Linux Lite / Re: LL 3.8 Win-XP Dual-Boot
« Last post by W-Exit on Today at 09:07:34 AM »
@stevef

Hi there

and many thanks again.
 I think I sorted notifications, and SreenShot Uploads  :fingerscrossed

I have been trying to ´boot´ from same CD I used for initial install ....
 .... in order such to eventually sort my SSD defrag-mess.

Actually it is the same media which put me where I am (a loss of understanding)

since I am not getting anywhere. In the end it always boots from SSD.

Please: I went into BIOS boot sequence and put boot_from CD first, to no avail.

kindly excuse the retired Grandpa for his blindness / alzheimer
best regards
Gunter

P.s: Sorry, only now I noted that there is a new message ....
Updates / [ SOLVED ] update error after install - locking problem
« Last post by FrankP on Today at 08:45:46 AM »
E: Kon vergrendeling /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend niet verkrijgen. Proces 3917 houdt deze grendel vast (apt-get)
E: Kan de vergrendeling voor het dpkg-frontend (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend) niet verkrijgen. Gebruikt een ander proces dit?

Any solution?
Thanks,

Frank

PS Later, after trying the update gain, it said update was complete. But I do not know if that is true...
« Last post by Şerban S. on Today at 08:16:26 AM »
@W-Exit

Hi, Gunther!

[...] LL is installed on the SSD, I am not booting from a live-media.
There is no data of any value on this SSD, other than the OS. So a complete "re-format" would not do any harm. [...]

This is very important to know!
From your posts, I learned at least three things:
1. You are a LEARNER!
2. You are a fast learner! This is one of the  most valuable assets  a human being can have and develop!
3. You are a diligent person and a persistent one!

With those being said:
Stop worrying! You already have all you need INSIDE of you!

What you need now, is practice!

First thing and the most important now:
You need to practice using the following distros:
1. GPartEd Live. This is the key tool in storage management, either for running any OS or for managing mass storage media, even small storage like USB sticks and SD cards (or whatever card). Used to create, delete, and manage partition tables, and logical drives on various media.

2.CloneZilla Live.. This is the key tool for managing low-level backups. Low-level backups, means bit-by-bit copies of a certain portion of a drive ("disk" or "partition") or even entire drives (I never used that, except for test & learn purposes). Copies of an entire drive are usually called "clones", hence the name of the toolkit.

Now, let's see what we have here:

[...] With ´gparted´ I am not really getting anywhere, other than I manage to start it.
It will show exact the a.m. partitions, but does not allow me to do anything with them. [...]

Using GPartEd on an active drive.

I guess @stevef explained clearly enough why you had trouble.
In order to do anything with a drive, you need to access it via GPartEd Live..
That means you have to boot a bootable USB stick, with the GPartEd Live. ISO written on it.
After booting GPartEd Live, you will be presented the same screen, except for the options available.
In this case, you can delete any partition, even the entire drive.
Since you have a very old computer (2005), it has a BIOS firmware and the only partition type available, is MSDOS.
You can skip the step "Create New Partition Table".

Now, let's look at the disk structure:

1. /dev/sda1, ext4, 117 GB;
2. /dev/sda2, extended, 348 GB;
3. /dev/sda6, ext4, 230 GB;
4. /dev/sda5, SWAP, 2 GB;

What you need to do now for a fresh install, is (A) Delete all partitions (logical drives).
The exact order, is as follows:

1. /dev/sda5, SWAP, 2 GB;
2. /dev/sda6, ext4, 230 GB;
3. /dev/sda2, extended, 348 GB;
4. /dev/sda1, ext4, 117 GB;

After scheduling the operations, click the "Apply" button, confirm the operations and wait for completion.
Being a slow computer, might take a bit longer.
After completion, your drive will be empty. This shows as "Unallocated" (se the screen capture, last entry).
Now, we need to create the partitions.
I will layout here three scenarios:

A. The Partitions

The entire drive, has 488,281 MB.

1. /dev/sda1, ext4, primary, / (Root), 30720 MB  Flag = boot;
1. /dev/sda2, SWAP, primary,  4096 MB;

488,281 - 30,720 - 4,096 = 453,915 MB left.

3. /dev/sda3, primary, extended, 453,915 MB;
4. /dev/sda5, ext4, primary, /home, 453,915 MB;

B: "Quick install" 

This scenario, means that you will use the default Install Scenario, which is "Erase entire disk and install Linux Lite".
In case you want a slightly different setup, here it is:

From the Installer menu, instead of choosing the default scenario, choose "Something different".
You will be presented the Partition Manager window.

Choose from within Partition Manager "/dev/sda1", than "Change", use the drive as ext4, mountpoint /.
Check "Format partition".
Choose  /dev/sda2 , than "Change", use partition as LINUX-SWAP.
Choose  /dev/sda5 , than "Change", use partition as ext4, mountpoint  /home..

Proceed with the installation.
Default GRUB installation should be "/dev/sda".
The downside of this setup is that your personal data will be in the /home partition, along with many other system things.
It is very much like the Windows "My Documents".
Also, when you perform a low-level backup (CloneZilla) the amount of data will be huge.

C: "Pro Install" 

I use this kind of partition layout, regardless the BIOS/UEFI type of firmware. That is, regardless the partition type: MSDOS or GPT (Global Partitioning Table).
The exception is on the type of the first partition, because GPT requires a boot partition, which is FAT32, and is flagged "boot, esp".
The rest of the partitioning scheme, is the same.

1. /dev/sda1, ext4, primary, / (Root), 30720 MB  Flag = boot;
1. /dev/sda2, SWAP, primary,  4096 MB;

488,281 - 30,720 - 4,096 = 453,915 MB left.

4. /dev/sda3, ext4, primary, /home, 61,440 MB;
453,915 - 61,440 = 392,475 MB
4. /dev/sda4, ext4, primary, /mydata, 392,475 MB;

As you can see, I skipped the "extended" partition since I planned to use only four partitions, which is the maximum amount of partitions allowed by the MSDOS partition table.

During the install procedure, I need to set the mountpoints, accordingly to the new scheme.
This allows me to have mounted all the listed drives (/, /home and /mydata).
Besides that, my data is stored in a different location, that I can backup using LuckyBackup, which is a frontend (GUI) for the rsync tool.
This can be done from within the current session, without the need to boot any external tool such as CloneZilla Live, for one.
The advantage of CloneZilla over TimeShift, is the small size of the backup. But this is a matter of taste/habits...

Best regards, Șerban.

« Last post by stevef on Today at 03:38:55 AM »
@W-Exit
Gunter

so LL is installed on the SSD, I am not booting from a live-media.
If the system boots from the SSD to Linux Lite (without live media) - yes, you have a working system.

With ´gparted´ I am not really getting anywhere, other than I manage to start it.
It will show exact the a.m. partitions, but does not allow me to do anything with them.
Gparted won't let you change partitions if they are 'mounted' and because the system booted from the SSD, some partitions are in use.

I suggested booting the live media and running gparted (if you wish to tidy the disk up) because in that case none of the partition would be mounted.
The partitioning you have is untidy but if the system functions as you want it to and you have given up on dual booting I'd suggest not to worry.

Apparently I found out how to receive a notification - message
I think an email is generated if the poster puts your username in their reply.

Please don't run unsupported OS.  As there is no support the system and applications will be unpatched against any vulnerabilities.

Steve
« Last post by W-Exit on Today at 01:57:33 AM »
@stevef

Hi Steve,

firstly I include the output of cmd ´lblsk´ (still I would not know how to post a screen-shot ??), which is:

linuxlite@linuxlite-AMILO-Pro-V2060:~$ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 465,8G  0 disk
├─sda1   8:1    0   117G  0 part
├─sda5   8:5    0     2G  0 part [SWAP]
├─sda6   8:6    0   230G  0 part
└─sda7   8:7    0 116,8G  0 part /
sr0     11:0    1 701,9M  0 rom 
linuxlite@linuxlite-AMILO-Pro-V2060:~$

so LL is installed on the SSD, I am not booting from a live-media.

There is no data of any value on this SSD, other than the OS. So a complete "re-format" would not do any harm.

However, I've tried to do this before and ended with what I have now.

With ´gparted´ I am not really getting anywhere, other than I manage to start it.
It will show exact the a.m. partitions, but does not allow me to do anything with them.
Still (again) I miserably fail to post a screen-shot, sorry for that.

^^^ I am trying !! But I have no clue I understood and am doing it right !!

best regards and many thanks for advice and patience
Gunter

P.s.: Apparently I found out how to receive a notification - message.  :)
« Last post by stevef on May 01, 2024, 11:53:28 AM »
@W-Exit

Obviously the advice below is general advice which is applicable to installing a supported OS.
The advice assumes there is nothing on the disk of any value - any data will be lost.

Trying to use a standard installer can get complicated if a disk has been used before.
In your situation, I would try to remove all the existing partitions.
This will give a blank page for the install software.

After booting the live media, run this command in a terminal
Code: [Select]
lsblkThis will show the partition information of the SSD (and other block devices) which should make identifying the SSD partitions in the gparted GUI slightly easier.

Then run gparted.  Ensure the 'scattered' 500GB disk is selected and that the partition pictogram matches that you saw in the terminal.

Right click on each existing partition pictogram in turn.
From the menu that appears select 'Delete'.  This will 'queue' the action.
Repeat the right click and delete on the next partition pictogram.

Once all the partitions are queued for deleting, click 'Apply' and allow gparted to complete.
Then re-run the terminal command to confirm they are gone.
« Last post by W-Exit on May 01, 2024, 08:57:14 AM »
@Șerban S.
@Serban

Hi Serban,

thanks a lot for the reply. I fully agree, accept and understand your points.

To be honest: I have given up on the "Dual Boot" idea.

I would be perfectly happy if I could get the LinuxLite 3.8 double install and resulting scattered SSD issue (kindly see attached ScreenShot) settled.

I would not mind to do another re-install of LL 3.8 if there is a chance that this would settle the issue ...
 ... but I am afraid that this would only further mess-up my SSD.

kind regards and many thanks
Gunter

P.s.: I miserably fail to attach the screenshot, it is more than double the size of the 500KB limit
also it was of format *.png / *.bmp

The suggested ´inxi´ command delivers:
linuxlite@linuxlite-AMILO-Pro-V2060:~$ sudo inxi -c 0 -ACdGMNSz
[sudo] password for linuxlite:
System:    Host: linuxlite-AMILO-Pro-V2060 Kernel: 4.4.0-112-generic i686 (32 bit)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Machine:   System: FUJITSU SIEMENS (portable) product: AMILO Pro V2060 v: 20
           Mobo: FUJITSU SIEMENS model: AMILO Pro V2060
           Bios: Phoenix v: R01-A1H date: 12/14/2005
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium M (-UP-) cache: 2048 KB
           speed: 1867 MHz (max)
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:     Card Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-112-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection
           driver: ipw2200
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8169 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (1.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: SanDisk_SDSSDH35 size: 500.1GB
           Optical: /dev/sr0 model: _NEC DVD_RW ND-6750A
           dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
           Features: speed: 24x multisession: yes
           audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r

« Last post by Şerban S. on May 01, 2024, 05:45:06 AM »
Hi, Gunther!

@stevef
[...] Yes the guess for 32 bit version question is right. [...]

Based on the data you provided, I found this:
CPU is surely an Intel® Pentium® M (inxi report).
It appears that for the model AMILO-Pro-V2060 the CPU is Intel® Pentium® M Processor 750
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/27593/intel-pentium-m-processor-750-2m-cache-1-86-ghz-533-mhz-fsb/specifications.html

I ran the: ´inxi -CDxxxx´command, but the return does not show any ´bits´ statement.

Better run the following and repost the report here (same procedure):

Code: [Select]
sudo inxi -c 0 -ACdGMNSz
[...] @Serban S.
My system does not allow me to enter an accented "S", hence I don't find / ping you .... sorry. [...]

It's OK. For entering special characters like "Ș" you need a different keyboard layout. I have two layouts installed (RO & EN-US).
Same here, for umlaut u. Spelling "G"  umlaut u "nther" is at least weird...

[...] As far as I (am guessing) understand I installed LL (Linux Lite) 3.8 accidentally 2x hence the HD (here a 500 GB SSD) is scattered a lot

But please forgive me my lag of expertise, I am still learning
and I would want to repurpose this LT e.g. have both OS's Win-XP and LL 3.8 installed side by side with dual-boot option.

"Lack of expertise" you say?
Well, I doubt there is anyone here that claims being an expert.
At least I have a hard time thinking myself as being an "expert". That's too much to say.
Except for Jerry, I doubt there are many people here having that kind of knowledge + practice to entitle them using this "expert" word.
I like the idea that we are here, like-minded, friendly people. That sounds more comforting to me.

Repurposing...
While I understand the idea, it's very difficult for me to figure out how to get software for this architecture.
The software you named (Win XP, Linux Lite 3.8 ) is "out of service", so to speak. In other words, they reached the "end of support" (end of life) point.
If something breaks, it will be awfully difficult to maintain those, without data losses.
Even finding software, generally speaking, is very difficult since developers moved towards 64 bit architecture.
As far as I know, there are a few choices still available as if today:

https://www.makeuseof.com/linux-distros-with-32-bit-support/

Maybe for some time, you can use your computer with one of those.

Best regards, Șerban.

« Last post by stevef on May 01, 2024, 04:08:00 AM »
Gunter,

Thank you for responding and taking the trouble to extract the information for us.
The inxi command shows your CPU type even if it does not report the 'bits' information.

As far as I can tell, the single core Intel Pentium M CPU dates back to 2003 and was only ever 32 bit.

Unfortunately all current versions of Linux Lite require 64 bit hardware.
We cannot recommend installing the older 32 bit versions of Linux Lite like Lite 3.8 as they are not supported since 2021.

Last time I checked (a couple of months ago) there were still a few Linux distributions which claimed to be 32 bit compatible.
The rules of this forum ask us not to discuss/recommend other brands so I'll not go further.

I wish you good luck.

steve
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section