You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Weird Zip Problem

Author (Read 9304 times)

Re: Weird Zip Problem
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 04:49:38 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
You're Welcome  :)

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 09:03:31 PM »

TuxInAGalaxy

• PayPal Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Depends on what machine I'm running.

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Depends on what machine I'm running.
Hello,
if you click modify for your first post in the thread, then use the drop down menu and select solved, then save.

Thank you.

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 04:16:31 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello,
if you click modify for your first post in the thread, then use the drop down menu and select solved, then save.

Re: Weird Zip Problem Solved
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 03:49:33 PM »

TuxInAGalaxy

• PayPal Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

To share with the community...

In cooperation with TuxInAGalaxy who did all the testing, here is the solution. Instead of using the the GUI tools xarchiver or file-roller, the CLI tool unzip seems to do the trick:

Code: [Select]
unzip GG1T-14D544-AB.zip -d GG1T_unzipped
A folder GG1T_unzipped will be created with all the files unpacked as it should be, i.e. including the necessary sub-folder.

Unzip is also spelling out the reason why it's actually failing with the other tools:
warning:  GG1T-14D544-AB.zip appears to use backslashes as path separatorsBut it's obviously smart enough to overcome this Windows syntax quirk.

It does seem to work but I haven't been able to do an official test with the sync on my car.  When or if a new version of firmware gets released for it I will report if it works or not.

It was suggested that I tag this thread as solved.  I've looked around the site and I'm not finding how to do that.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 03:51:05 PM by TuxInAGalaxy »

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 07:43:30 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
To share with the community...

In cooperation with TuxInAGalaxy who did all the testing, here is the solution. Instead of using the the GUI tools xarchiver or file-roller, the CLI tool unzip seems to do the trick:

unzip GG1T-14D544-AB.zip -d GG1T_unzipped
A folder GG1T_unzipped will be created with all the files unpacked as it should be, i.e. including the necessary sub-folder.

Unzip is also spelling out the reason why it's actually failing with the other tools:
warning:  GG1T-14D544-AB.zip appears to use backslashes as path separatorsBut it's obviously smart enough to overcome this Windows syntax quirk.

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 10:13:16 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
bitsnpcs's suggestion might work IF only the path/filename is screwed up for any reason but not the content.
Definitely worth giving it a try to manually create the folder structure and rename the files accordingly.

Regarding the GUI for p7zip:
  • In general I avoid installing software outside the repositories for security and stability reasons.
  • If you still are inclined to give it a go, it's worth first checking the validity of the first comment pointing out that the library libwxgtk3.0-dev is not anymore supported on v16.x and above.
Hope that helps :)

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 08:04:17 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello,

have you tried -

1/ making a new folder and naming it,  GG1T-14D544-AB (same as the windows image posted)
2/ making a new folder inside #1 folder, and naming it, SyncMyRide
2/ extracting all files and folders with SynchMYRide in their name into the SynchMyRide folder
3/ extracting the autoinstall.lst and install.lst into the folder named GG1T-14D544-AB

This would produce the exact same results and layout as the files and folders shown in the pic of how it is in windows.

4/ copy the entire folder named GG1T-14D544-AB to the usb stick.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 05:14:50 PM »

TuxInAGalaxy

• PayPal Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Fair enough being careful making the file publicly available via Dropbox and a link on a Forum.
Have you considered private messaging/ email as a solution to get help?

What I would do with the file:
  • inspecting the file
  • unpacking the file with the default software
  • installing additional software like p7zip and unpacking the file with it
Feel free to PM me if you like.
Hope that helps

I have never used p7zip from the command line.  I'm researching it now: 

I found this site:  https://www.ruinelli.ch/p7zip-gui-for-linux  I wonder what is your take on it?

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 03:50:58 AM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Fair enough being careful making the file publicly available via Dropbox and a link on a Forum.
Have you considered private messaging/ email as a solution to get help?

What I would do with the file:
  • inspecting the file
  • unpacking the file with the default software
  • installing additional software like p7zip and unpacking the file with it
Feel free to PM me if you like.
Hope that helps

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 08:52:52 PM »

TuxInAGalaxy

• PayPal Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Could you please post the link to that zip file? Then people could have a look and go at it :)

I think that is a good idea!   Sadly I can't.  The way it works is:  You got to have an account with syncmyride.com  Then you download the firmware update and it is a zip file.  You unzip it and copy those files to a usb drive.  You connect that usb drive to your Ford Car.  Then you install the update.  Once the update is installed then the Car puts a xml file onto the usb drive.  The syncmyride site waits for you to upload that file back to syncmyride.com.  It verifies that your firmware has been updated successfully. 

In short:
You need to have an account with Ford to download that file.

I thought about trying to download one again, and then uploading it to dropbox.  But there is some kind of end user agreement.  I haven't tried to read it.  Normally reading one of those for this is kinda crazy since there is no alternative.  But in this case I would need to know what it says before I risk uploading one to a site like dropbox.   I'm afraid that if I try to download one again, it will make the site think I need to upload the xml file again.

Anyways that is why I haven't gotten back with you guys.   :-[

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 02:13:32 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Could you please post the link to that zip file? Then people could have a look and go at it :)

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 10:31:54 AM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
I guess you've already tried right clicking on the downloaded .zip & going Extract here or Extract to?
Without viewing in the Archive manager first I mean.
Sorry for the silly question but I don't use the Archive manager at all nowdays, I install WinRAR with WINE and use it for everything .zip etc. related.

I remember a few years ago when I was still using Ubuntu having a somewhat similar issue with multi archive RAR files I'd downloaded from somewhere.
The ones where you extract the first one & the rest are supposed to auto extract in order to create a single extracted file when finised.
No way in the world would the Archive Manager extract it correctly.
Only way I found around the problem then was to install WinRAR with WINE & use it.
From memory I think I've even had troubles opening password protected .zips on an older version of LL.
Again used WinRAR & had no problems.
Now I just don't bother at all with the Archive manager & install WinRAR soon after installing WINE when I set up a new system.

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 09:29:47 AM »

TuxInAGalaxy

• PayPal Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Invalid file name error I've seen before, it's apparently a Linux feature that disallows copying of a file that has a character in it's name that can't be used in a filename on a Windows OS.
Seen it a couple of times now when trying to copy stuff to NTFS formatted drives.
Rename the file to remove the offending character/s and all is well.

That is true however that would mess up the firmware not allowing the ford sync to find it and install it.  If you look at my two pictures you can tell there is more wrong then just a file name.  Every file is so messed up that you can't even tell it is from the same zip file.  What I unziped in the linux system would never work for this.  That is why I ended up using windows.  I was hoping someone else here had run into a similar problem and could tell me if there was another way to go about unzipping a zip file so that it has the proper structure (like the manufacture intended).

I will need to do more research and do more posting in some other forums. 

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 11:41:42 AM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Invalid file name error I've seen before, it's apparently a Linux feature that disallows copying of a file that has a character in it's name that can't be used in a filename on a Windows OS.
Seen it a couple of times now when trying to copy stuff to NTFS formatted drives.
Rename the file to remove the offending character/s and all is well.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 09:48:28 AM »

TuxInAGalaxy

• PayPal Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi TuxInAGalaxy,

What is the result if you actually extract the zip file?
Currently/in your screenshot you're just looking at the content of the zip file via the Archive Manager.

The result is exactly the same as the contents. 

At first I didn't think that much about it.  I tried to extract the files and then copy them over to the USB.  I got an invalid file name error.  Then I tried the exact same zip file an my Windows 7 machine.  Did everything the same way and everything worked fine.  (Same usb stick too)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section