You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

VB Additional errors

Author (Read 6033 times)

Re: VB Additional errors
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 03:55:51 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
I thought you would like it :)

rpd installs as .vdi machine in VB like LL, Ubuntu and others.
It doesn't have to use the .vhd  method like Pixel, but Pixel was good as we managed to have it as an install when they said it wasn't available for install  8)

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 07:54:03 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
Thanks @bitsnpcs
I'll have to check it out..   ;D ;D ;D

We have Pixel on a VM (VirtualBox) - although if I recall I boot the ISO each time..
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 10:44:29 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Thanks for the info and links  :D  I've almost bought a couple of the RaspPi boards a few times just to play around with, since Pixel I figured I could get my feet wet on it 1st...

@firenice03 I thought you may like to play with this, they have named it Raspberry Pi Desktop, unlike pixel it is meant for installs, and so works in the usual way in VB on Linux Lite.

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/rpd_x86/images/rpd_x86-2017-06-23/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 10:52:59 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 12:59:55 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Thank you, for Remix and Sd card help. :)
I had tried Remix OS as vdi, I will try as vhd tomorrow and write how it goes :)

It sounds a good what you are working on with the multi os and sd cards.
The Noobs pack it has multiple os on it, and you choose which one to download, on reboot you can access that menu again and change the installed os, I haven't tried that yet.
If you view the source code of how they do this you may be able to do it for your end goal and save card numbers, 3 or 4 cards less equals the price of a Pi3.... but then you'll want more sd cards ;D .

I use ones called Class 10 micro sd, 8GB, I have 3 so far, 1 PNY, and 2 Sandisk Ultra.

Update - have tried Remix OS as vhd, same errors, also tried resident, guest, and ide from boot menu.

Update 2 - I am unsure why but the Pixel VM resets on each boot, eg; I installed ufw and enabled it using the terminal, and installed Firefox using the software installer, I also changed the password, all were reset to default, or no longer installed.The next time it was booted.

I have had a practice now with the micro sd cards, I looked into how to do this and it said to use gparted, which comes installed in LL, although I hadn't used it before.
I have tried mounting a previously made card, as you wrote it mounts similar to a usb stick would.
I have also formated 2 cards using gparted in LL, successfully now.
Probably tomorrow I will add a build to a card using LL.
These may seem small things but they were things I had to do on windows until now, now I can do them on LL instead, it makes me :)
I also tested the first of my new micro sd card reader/writers that arrived today to do the above, which I hadn't had before, only multi card adapter so micro sd went into sd card adapter, then into adapter stick.
It's a nice small one and the micro sd fits directly into the end of the usb connection (very good fit), it then all goes inside the usb connection on the computer, it makes it smaller.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:43:08 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 10:49:09 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

So for Remix.. It didn't like just the ISO (I didn't have a HD attached to the VM)..
So... I created a 10gb dynamic VHD disk...
Following somewhat along:
http://trukhanov.com/2016/01/install-remixos-on-hyper-v-virtual-machine/
Using GuestMode/TAB changing to:
Code: [Select]
/kernel initrd=initrd.img root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86_64 androidboot.selinux=permissive quiet INSTALL=1 nomodeset vga=791Since I didn't format yada yada - I used Remix options to do so and thus far got through to the run prompt...
Again more playing  ;D.. If I recall I had better luck using USB on the mini (old HW)..

As for SD cards - they're pretty much like regular storage as far as installing LL on.. The Kangaroo in my sig is minimal on space running as a "mobile" device. LL is installed to to an external removable SD card. My ebd goal would be to have multiple cards with different OS's being able to "swap" in and out.. Grub/Windows bootloader isn't a fan of the swap.. But still playing. I do suggest a faster read/write speed card...

So remix is on a blue screen - we'll see  ::) lol
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 09:31:42 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

:) , I think you're right Pixel in VB on LL is a great way to learn and use Pi.

Thank you for testing the Remix OS :)

I'm not sure how long I have used Linux for, the only Linux I have installed and used daily, or tried projects in was LL.
I used LL for a while (unsure, date of joining forum to hiatus), and now since after hiatus.
I forgot things, some has returned/still returns from daily use, other things I've been asking on the forum, I have also tried things that are new to me.
I guess maybe 4 or 6 months total, I have used Linux (LL).

I installed Ubuntu for a couple of days recently when try to get this pc up, and I installed Pixel on 2 Pi Zero micro sds last Saturday, haven't used it as such yet, for any tutorials or projects, the wifi dongle (Edimax, which is popular for Pi) doesn't work with the Pi Zero via the hub, so I'm awaiting a different type of one for it to try. I later tried a Qualcomm Atheros , it has an antenna, it is too big/heavy for the hub usb and will stress the usb etc, but I do now know that wifi is working via usb dongle on usb hub.
Also I was testing a micro sd cards and learning to format, write builds to them, then install the builds on them, as had not done any of this or used sd cards before.
I have used sd card in my camera, it is a hd video camera (it also does pics), I dont need to do things on pc with sd, I can format on camera, and just take pics and videos off to edit them by connecting the camera with a cable.
I dont know how to do the sd cards on LL yet, but will be learning it soon.

I like to try and tinker but only just beginning that, so I follow instructions and tutorials, they help to improve my confidence to try things.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:07:57 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 12:28:04 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks for the info and links  :D  I've almost bought a couple of the RaspPi boards a few times just to play around with, since Pixel I figured I could get my feet wet on it 1st... Funny tho.. I've only really been using Linux (LL for that) heavily for the past 2 years, dabbled for maybe a total of 3 or 4...

Remix.. Shouldn't matter.. Remember as far as the guest VM is concerned its just like any other PC booting - the mounted ISO doesn't know what the Host is running...
I have had the similar error before - I think it has to do more so with the hardware (newer cpu family).. It had been a while but I had the Alpha and Beta versions, which I was able to to get Android 4.4 32-bit to boot in a VM on the LL host.. Again the same when I tested from USB on physical hardware.. The Mini in my sig booted it better than anything (old).
I'll download the newer Remix version to test.. I'll report back, just cause I like to tinker  :P

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 06:19:44 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Pixel is useful to learn in VB, it means you can also do projects on the Pi, try here, you can click the magazine images, and the books, then on the resulting window go to the right side, and below options for buying the paper or phone versions is a button "download for free", you can click this to read it online, or download it to keep, it's free this way, no login, or membership is needed.
Many of the magazines have coding projects these can be done in LL too.
There are also books for learning C, Python, Command Line, PyGame coding, Scratch, Minecraft hacks, etc, it is a good resource for info, and each month they add the new edition free to it.
I have 4 of the books in paper form, the rest I d/l.
The first Pi Zero's were given away free stuck to the front cover of one months paper edition of this magazine.
In Synaptic we can add pygame into LL, the link for resources and tutorials for that .

:) Thank you, I have changed the storage to empty and SolydX now boots and updates correctly.

It will be fun, I will enjoy playing with the OS's in VB, I need to keep the stability in my LL host, and so it means I can experiment and not mess things up too easily. Also I am learning Python, just begun the book Learn Python the Hard Way, and am following the instruction to go to Appendix "Shut up and Shell" (he is so polite lol), I am waiting for index cards to arrive this week, he recommends them as a method to use for memorizing the commands. So I will be following this. Then I'll continue, it's meant to be a crash course for the command line 2 days, using this method. Just command line related to the book. I have other books for the command line learning for beginners I work in too.
It will be good to use VB vm's for testing when I progress further.
With the 2 Pi zero's I am doing x1 Kodi, x1 Pixel, I am showing to my cousins, let them have a play about and it will introduce them to using Linux.

I have installed VB Guest additions using Synaptic in LL, Ubuntu and SolydX vm's, and installed Synaptic in Ubuntu to do that, do I have to set it up or the install in Synaptic has done this ?

I use Android Marshmallow on my phone, it has a overlay build Oxygen OS from manufacturer, I use the phone called OnePlus 2. Yes I like only Android phones :) , thank you I will add Remix OS. :)
I join in a little on the "Google Crowdsource Community project".

Edit -
Is Remix OS for using on Linux, or only for Windows and Mac, on the website the only info mentioning Linux is to say it can be used on Windows and Mac as Live Linux on usb ?
Vb is not liking it at all, I used a 4 vm's 10GB space for each, hdd only has host LL 3.2 install plus drivers, kodi, audacity, restricted extras, gedit+1 xml file for theme, pygame, and d/l os for vb, no files as still setting it up.
Remix says there is not enough storage space left in 2TB hdd to use it, ignoring this it boots only to Remix OS logo, doesn't freeze, but doesn't progress as live.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 07:43:12 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 09:23:23 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

For Pixel.. I have the ISO mounted which boots to a Live environment with persistence; no install yet.. Actually I don't have a hard drive attached to that VM.. If you hit ESC or DEL (don't recall which) from Pixel Splash you have 3 options to boot Pixel - w/ or w/o persistence and 1 other option to reset persistence...

SolydX may still be booting to Live (ISO).. Make sure you have removed the ISO from storage (CD) if still mapped it may be booting by default vs. the hard drive...

;D ;D

I've only "played" with Pixel thus far to check it out, I figure it would be something I could play and learn..  ;)

Since it looks like you like to test and try things... If you're an Android fan, Marshmallow is available via RemixOS: http://www.jide.com/remixos-for-pc

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 09:34:04 AM by firenice03 »

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 01:20:39 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

firenice03 - thank you  :) , I done this now and have Pixel on dvd and loading in VB as a vm to desktop. There isn't any icon to install on the desktop of Pixel, is there a way around this to get it to install Pixel in VB so I can do updates, install things ?
A sort of pre-release install, is what I am trying to get to, it is available on the iso, and for running live dvd, but they have not officially released it for installing, it is not forbidden they just don't support this and are not sure if they will yet.
I like LL as my OS, it would be handy to have Pixel on the pc in VB, as I have just started using Pixel on the Raspberry Pi Zero's.

The SolydX I have ran the iso and installed it from the desktop icon, but the vm install boots the live version from iso instead of the install, this doesn't allow me to do updates or install anything such as the Guest Additions, like I can in the LL and Ubuntu VM's.
I haven't done the Guest Additions yet but will do these tomorrow in LL and Ubuntu vm's, as I'm very tired now.

I have done the Extension pack during the Help Manual tutorial.

I have just finished  the enable USB from users and groups, from LL menu, I followed the tutorial in Help Manual for this, I hadn't noticed it as I'd became stuck on the Pixel install before getting that far in the tutorial, and distracted myself.
I have logged out/in and started VB and LL vm, and checked out the USB using a USB drive, it works correctly, it opens the home folder in the vm and the host LL home folder. I know which is which of them as I chose to add vb to my username in the vm's, so in the home folder (and terminal) I can see the name difference to know I'm in the vm not host LL, until I get used to things over time.

Update -
I found this, and tried it, it works but -
1/unable to change the default password yet.
2/I tried a download,  firefox to see if the downloads work, it downloaded but no idea where it has put it yet.

Update2 -
Learned how/have changed password using terminal.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:38:40 AM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 10:42:55 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@bitsnpcs
I was able to add Pixel by mapping to the ISO via an optical: If this helps

Most ISO's if mapped to and launched from will most likely boot to a Live environment of sorts, they are essentially an image of a CD.. As such when you're ready you can install the OS..

Some other things you may want to add in VB..
  • Extension pack - Download from VB web site, add to Preferences/Extensions or double click should auto add
  • Guest Additions - Can download from Synaptic (Software Install) (installs to /usr/share/virtualbox) this would be installed to guests as needed.. https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html

As for graphics.. The Live environments have on occasion yielded somewhat better results.. Why, not exactly sure but it's been mentioned a time or 2 (not just LL)..

**More** As I am remembering in Linux :)
To enable USB.. from "Users and Groups" manage groups button enable (add tick) to your username in the vboxuser group - I had to log off/on to enable. Then from VB - Preferences/USB you can select/add your USB device(s) to be shared to the guest...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:07:17 PM by firenice03 »

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 09:31:33 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

firenice03 - I have edited the title now.

I have tried to mount Jessie using "disk image mounter", nothing happens, I have downloaded it again in case the mirror had a fault, so used official direct download, still nothing happens.
I have tested "disk image mounter" against SolydX, it mounts, and open a window of folders.
Maybe I can try another image mounter, for awkward ones ?

Some other things -

SolydX, when starting the vm, it goes to the live version not to the install, even after restarting the vm and restarting VB. When SolydX is highlighted compared to other VM's I notice a difference in main window

Storage
Controller IDE:
IDE Secondary Master: "[Optical Drive] solydx_8_64_201701.iso (1.41GB)

Where as Linux Lite 3.2 and Ubuntu 16.04.2 instead read -

IDE Secondary Master: "[Optical Drive] Empty

Have I made a mistake to make it point to the iso instead of the install, or is it also need editing by being mounted iso ?

Super Freakiness -

LL 3.2, installed in VB perfectly no need to edit grub, install graphic stack, and..... the resolution works at 1440x900 and much higher settings are available too, the refresh rate is 57.7Hz, compared to my main LL 3.2 install the maximum resolution is 1024x768 and no higher options, and the refresh rate is 60.0 Hz and the refresh rate cannot be changed.
It is like VB has got the driver I need for the graphics on LL 3.2 and it's hiding it from me and everyone who has helped me (it is getting late lol)

Linux Lite and Ubuntu both installed and restarting to the full install first time.
Both gave an error of /etc has been altered by me or someone else, both said I need to update the BIOS, but were still booting to desktop very well.

Would the kernel upgrade be best so both LL installs match ?

I will continue tomorrow.

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 07:10:22 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I think you can continue on but change the subject line should suffice - -- Moderators will know best.. i.e. Re: VB additional errors

For the no bootable media = since you have an ISO, its a 2 step..

1st using you favorite ISO tool you'll want to mount the image to a virtual CD/mount point..
*ISO Magic and/or Virtual Clone Drive were some for Window...
Looks like furiusisomount is in synaptic.. Others may chime on better tools..

Once ISO is mounted
2nd is to go into the settings of the guest, to the storage section.
You may have an option drive listed, if not you can one with the plus over the circle.. Then map the drive to the mounted location mentioned above..

Its been a while since I used in LL but Linux may be able to point directly to the ISO, gimme a few to confirm..
*It does appear there is a default "disk image mounter" installed

***Update***
You can point the CD to the ISO file then start VM... no need to mount prior..
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 08:07:35 PM by firenice03 »

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 06:49:07 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello firenice03,

your help gave me an idea, to look back in the BIOS but for hardware acceleration and cpu modes.
I found a setting in BIOS, it is
Advanced CPU configuration>Intel Virtualisation Technology
No mention of VT-x , it was set to disabled, I changed it to enabled, saved, rebooted and the error is gone.
Without your help on which settings to look at in VB I wouldn't have thought of trying that setting, thank you. :)

I have a new error, should I make a separate thread ?
As below ( I can cut/paste to a new thread if best)
"fatal no bootable medium found", at the top bar of the error console window it says running.
Is it because I had the BIOS setting wrong and my first install failed, and I need to start again on it.
Or does x86 iso not run on my pc ?
The Jessie Pixel is x86 version, they dont have an installable version for pcs, only this iso to use as a live disc version, I thought it may work in virtual tools as a live or install.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 05:13:54 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

It says in both
Machine>Settings>System>Acceleration
also in
Settings>System>Acceleration

Paravirtualisation interface -Default
Hardware virtualisation : Enable Vt-x/AMD-V (ticked)
                                      Enable Nested Paging (ticked)

Mine - although on Windows as my Mini w/ LL has no HW acceleration is as follows..

Paravirtualization = LEGACY
HW Virtualization = the same as yours - both Enabled are ticked..

**UPDATE** installed VB on the boys PC -
Paravirtualization = DEFAULT
HW Virtualization = the same as yours - both Enabled are ticked..

This is out of the box - so you should be alright..

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 05:20:55 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section