You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Recently getting screen freezing using Libre Office

Author (Read 5357 times)

Re: Recently getting screen freezing using Libre Office
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 04:28:45 PM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

• Kernel: 5.x
trinidad
Will try these out. Thaks.  Will reopen file rgR Wa giving problems and see if the alterations to set up make a difference. I will report back. 
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 06:41:30 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 07:21:40 PM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

This is how I'm getting through college, submitting schoolwork in MS format but using LibreOffice:

https://technophobeconfessions.wordpress.com/2015/02/27/converting-libreoffice-writer-documents-to-microsoft-format/

The post is a little old, but it's still working well.

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 10:19:43 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

I have reduced the compatibility and connection problems with Windows file sharing by doing a few things in advance.
1) Install Libre Office for Windows on the Windows machine
2) Install Open SSH for Windows on the Windows machine
3) Install ext2fsd on the Windows machine
4) Have administrative access to the Windows machine
5) Use Remmina for SFTP
At his point I only have problems with some MS Excel grids and formats whether copying files OS to OS on the same HDD, or over Wifi with or without a router. I have had good luck with most other formats. Worth noting is that Calibre works fairly well for building help documentation books and so forth. I worked a little with LO on Deb 9 this morning and it still seems to have a lag that is not there in Deb 8 so I'm sure it is a feature problem. It may be that disabling the new LO help wizard is the solution. Interesting to note is that when I load a one million word document in Deb 8 the counter at the bottom of the page rolls slowly forward until the document is loaded. In Deb 9 similar to LL (Ubuntu LTS) the word counter is filled instantaneuosly. This suggests a different method of RAM usage to me, i/e the older version is loading directly to ram while the newer version is not, and that may be the root of the problem.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 02:04:45 PM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

Trinidad, my file sizes are antlike to your "elephants" :)  However I will juggle with the settings as you suggest.  .  BTW do you use LO in ODF or as *.docx mode. 
 My preference is for ODF,  finally printed out as pdfs.   However recently I had to share workload with a MS office user and we had all sort of formatting problems as the drafts crisscrossed.  I IN the end I tried WSP Office suite, which as better, but not completely compatible..  Thanks for your input.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 09:54:39 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

I am a regular Libre Office user. The newer versions like this LL (UbuntuLTS) seem to use more loading memory, and the clipboard settings seem to be memory hogs. On the same machine, where I dual boot LL with Debian 8 it loads faster in LL but clipboard actrions lag, and it does not like really big documents. I am editing a novel, and an academic work at present, one of a thousand pages, and another about 800 pages. Writer is unreliable slow and sometimes freezes with these big documents in LL (UbuntuLTS) for some reason, and though it loads quite a bit slower intially it works flawlessly in Debian 8. The LL version is probably newer than the one I'm using in Debian 8. It is probably not a LL issue because I recently installed Debian 9 on another mcahine, and Libre Office seems a little slower than on Debian 8, but I can't say for sure becuse my Debian 8 machine has a faster CPU/GPU. I'm sure the LL version has more features enbaled than the Deb 8 version. It may be that you can simply disable some features in Office and the issue will go away. I've been too busy with other things to look into that. Some one here or a Libre Office forum may be able to help you. It may eb apples and oranges though because I use Gnome in Deb and this is XFCE.

TC
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:58:12 AM by trinidad »

Recently getting screen freezing using Libre Office
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 07:33:58 AM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

Have recently had to do a long report (25 pages) using Libre Office writer.  Normally use this software on my HP dc desktop ( 4GB memory paired  Dual core 64bit for day to day documents etc without problems.

Stared to have screen freezing issues .  Ensured as few open documents etc, and even switched off LAN just in case.

Not sure whether it is a hardware issue, or software +- OS issue.  Keep updated - LL3.4.   
Also is there a way to switch off the "install updates"  net scanner? Would this be resource draining. 

Run SOPHOS  active scanning in the background- is that likely to severely overload my system.  Don't appear to have the problem with normal day to day workload.

Thoughts on the problem appreciated.  Thanks.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section