You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Office suites

Author (Read 4016 times)

Re: Office suites
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 03:45:30 AM »

bscho

• ginamiller.co.uk/superlite.php
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member Made it into Windows 12 Lite
    • View Profile
    • Best Operating Systems and Desktops Dual booting with Windows

• CPU: Various usually AMD

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Various

• Kernel: 5.x

Any suggestion for the future and how to be able to get rid of Win7 ?

I presume you are dual booting with Windows 7 and LL

If you want to actually get rid of it delete the partition with Gparted.

If it is on another machine just install LL on the whole hard drive.

Not sure why you want to delete it if you disconnect it from net you will be safe from Microsoft reading your data and their adverts.
Inventor of Windows 12 Lite for Windows 7 users who want to remember the worlds worst operating system they have switched off from the internet and dual boot using Windows 12 Lite no ads no waiting when Updates are forced when you want to work. No virus no ransomware and 3 times faster than Windoze.

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 03:49:31 PM »

ejc

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 2Gb
Freeoffice is strongly recommended!!

It opens a file in a second or less, and manage to convert complicate word files with multiple alphabets, both RTL and LTR.

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2020, 11:38:27 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

After downloading the .deb package you can install it by either one of these three methods:
1. Selecting it, right-click on it and from the context menu select install with gdebi or
2. Double-click the file which does just about the same as above or
3. Open a terminal and type
Code: [Select]
sudo dpkg -i pkg_name.deb if get any messages regarding missing dependecies type
sudo apt --fix-broken install and that should take care of those. On the other hand, methods 1 or 2 will take care of everything for you. :)

Hope this helps! :)

WRT the above - for a command line install it is perhaps easier to simply open a terminal in download file location and do
sudo apt install ./file.deb - that way the dependencies are resolved all in one go.

Nice tip @robinc didn't know about it. Always use dpkg to install manual downloaded .deb pkgs. Just tried it and it works like a charm saving the trouble to run --fix-broken to solve missing dependencies after. Thank you!  :)
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 12:59:04 AM »

robinc

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Turion 64

After downloading the .deb package you can install it by either one of these three methods:
1. Selecting it, right-click on it and from the context menu select install with gdebi or
sudo dpkg -i pkg_name.deb if get any messages regarding missing dependecies type
sudo apt --fix-broken install and that should take care of those. On the other hand, methods 1 or 2 will take care of everything for you. :)

WRT the above - for a command line install it is perhaps easier to simply open a terminal in download file location and do
sudo apt install ./file.deb - that way the dependencies are resolved all in one go.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 12:03:20 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks! Good that you wrote your last sentence because I was going to do all the three steps... :o

Yeah, sorry about that, my bad. Should have written instead that you can install the .deb pkg by using either one of those 3 methods not all of them at the same time. I just edited it so it reads better. Glad to help. :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 12:06:32 PM by Moltke »

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 07:22:11 AM »

ejc

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks! Good that you wrote your last sentence because I was going to do all the three steps... :o

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 06:41:29 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Use Softmaker Freeoffice https://www.freeoffice.com/en/

I handles word docs no sweat.

What I would suggest is that you save it out as a Word .DOC file on Win 7 which will clear out all the crap the .DOCX format adds.

You should see the file size drop as a bonus. Open on LL to check you've not lost any formatting. Freeoffice will open but not save in .DOC it saves as .DOCX

I have swapped large nested table word docs with Office 2103 users via Softmaker Office no problem.

Thanks! I ll try that; any recommendation on how to install it on LL ? i download the .deb and just double click?? (my computer is 64 bits). Should i set up automatic updates as explained here or rather not?
https://www.freeoffice.com/en/tips-and-tricks-linux

Update: i downloaded it and got a message "this type of file can harm your computer etc."
Was that from Chromium or from LL? Frankly if it is LL, it sounds realllllllyyyyyyyy Microfaustian.
Maybe when double-clicking on it to install it would make sense, but just downloading it?
 :-[

That message's from chromium. After downloading the .deb package you can install it by either one of these three methods:

« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 12:05:24 PM by Moltke »

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 05:07:15 AM »

ejc

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks, it would be faster if I had 8 Go ram, but i have 2.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 05:06:34 AM »

ejc

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

What I would suggest is that you save it out as a Word .DOC file on Win 7 which will clear out all the crap the .DOCX format adds.

You should see the file size drop as a bonus. Open on LL to check you've not lost any formatting. Freeoffice will open but not save in .DOC it saves as .DOCX

I have swapped large nested table word docs with Office 2103 users via Softmaker Office no problem.

Thanks! I ll try that; any recommendation on how to install it on LL ? i download the .deb and just double click?? (my computer is 64 bits). Should i set up automatic updates as explained here or rather not?
https://www.freeoffice.com/en/tips-and-tricks-linux

Update: i downloaded it and got a message "this type of file can harm your computer etc."
Was that from Chromium or from LL? Frankly if it is LL, it sounds realllllllyyyyyyyy Microfaustian.
Maybe when double-clicking on it to install it would make sense, but just downloading it?
 :-[
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 05:13:31 AM by ejc »

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 09:01:49 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Before you jump to any conclusions open up LO, click >Tools >Options >Memory in the main interface. Adjust the memory upward. The default settings are for memory challenged hardware. If you have 8G of RAM crank it up. LO is the fastest office suite there is that I know of. I have worked on and edited one million word documents without lags.

TC
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 09:03:47 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 01:09:39 AM »

robinc

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Turion 64

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 02:16:36 PM »

tikiti

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Noob
    • View Profile

Any suggestion for the future

Try WPS Office. I use it, looks better & is similar to MS Office UI, and has more features than LibreOffice.

how to be able to get rid of Win7 ?

Don't you already have LL?  ???
Now is the only reality. All else is either memory or imagination. - Osho

Office suites
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 12:27:21 PM »

ejc

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hello,

I am working on a word file, only text (no tables, no pics), unilingual (english), of 75 pages that includes 300 footnotes.
On Win7 (still alive and kicking) installed on a laptop with just 4 Go RAM, it functions smoothly. At my university library, on a machine which has win 10 and 8 Go of RAM, it would slow down and get stuck for a few seconds during automatic saving, and on Libre office on LL, it took about 60 secunds to open the file to start with (does not happen on either win7 or win10 as used with the machines described above).
Any suggestion for the future and how to be able to get rid of Win7 ?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section