You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Install updates entry missing from whisker menu

Author (Read 3609 times)

Re: Install updates entry missing from whisker menu
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 02:39:51 PM »

justme2

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5 vPro

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel
Hi Justme2

Thanks for the speedy response.  :)

Did you install from the same media or make new CD/DVD or Live USB media? Did you check the md5sum?

And just to be sure there's no Install Updates (the defualt entry not the one you created) at this location?
Menu > All > Install Updates

What happens if you use the Main Menu utility (Menu > All > Main Menu) to add it back again or if it's already there toggle it on/off?

It was a fresh ISO download burned to a new Live DVD. I did not check the MD5 but will do and report back if it is incorrect.

EDIT: md5sum verified correct.

No there is no menu entry in  'Menu > All > Install Updates' and it does not appear in the menu edit utility so it can't be toggled on/off.

Good call on the restore button, that definitely wouldn't help, and would most likely make things worse.

Can't that button be removed to avoid chaos?

Good work but without showing the action in the post there's no way to know if it will cause problems later.

The action was to create a new item in the menu edit utility, pointing to the update script, the path to which I noted when the 'Install Updates' was still visible. (Just in case it disappeared again  ;D )

I don't know the purpose of the this command. Did you add Install release from the Main Menu utility? I don't believe it's available by default, on my system it is not available (by default).

To answer Valtam in the following post, The 'Install Release' was ticked in the menu options but I don't know whether that was the case immediately after fresh install. At some point, something corrupted the menu structure and the only things I have done is install Wine via the Install New Software option and Clonezilla and Stellarium via Synaptic. (Install Updates was of course run immediately after initial installation.)

Now I have a working 'Install Updates' menu entry, I can carry on regardless, knowing how to correct the problem if it occurs again, but there is obviously a glitch somewhere in the menu system.

Thanks again to both for your valuable assistance.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 02:56:43 PM by justme2 »
1) Lenovo T520 i5 LL3.8 8GB ram, fast & stable
2) Medion P4 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, quite fast & stable
3) eeePC 901 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, fast & stable
4) eeePC 701 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, slower & stable but small and light enough to travel with me to New Zealand when visiting family in Blenheim.

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 10:46:50 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Thanks Scott, you've covered most of it really well. As for Install Release, that is not ticked so it shouldn't be showing on the whisker menu. It's the install shortcut to install LL.

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 09:35:39 AM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
Hi Justme2

My first install of LL2.0 eventually had a corrupted menu, including loss of 'Install Updates' entry. So I re-installed LL2.0 a few days ago and again the Install Updates entry has gone.

Did you install from the same media or make new CD/DVD or Live USB media? Did you check the md5sum?

And just to be sure there's no Install Updates (the defualt entry not the one you created) at this location?
Menu > All > Install Updates

What happens if you use the Main Menu utility (Menu > All > Main Menu) to add it back again or if it's already there toggle it on/off?

I have not clicked the Restore button
Good call on the restore button, that definitely wouldn't help, and would most likely make things worse.

So it seems the Whisker menu is buggy.
I've been using the Whisker menu since LL 2 beta and have never had a single bug but anything is possible.

I had made a note of the command for the update entry and created a new entry under System, which runs the update script and seems to be OK. I would just like to be reassured that my action to correct this will not cause later problems.
Good work but without showing the action in the post there's no way to know if it will cause problems later.

Also, what is the purpose of the 'Install Release' menu entry? I have already installed the latest release version.
I don't know the purpose of the this command. Did you add Install release from the Main Menu utility? I don't believe it's available by default, on my system it is not available (by default).

Install updates entry missing from whisker menu
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 07:20:38 AM »

justme2

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5 vPro

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel
My first install of LL2.0 eventually had a corrupted menu, including loss of 'Install Updates' entry. So I re-installed LL2.0 a few days ago and again the Install Updates entry has gone. I have not clicked the Restore button, so it seems the Whisker menu is buggy. However, I had made a note of the command for the update entry and created a new entry under System, which runs the update script and seems to be OK. I would just like to be reassured that my action to correct this will not cause later problems.

Also, what is the purpose of the 'Install Release' menu entry? I have already installed the latest release version.

TIA for any response.
1) Lenovo T520 i5 LL3.8 8GB ram, fast & stable
2) Medion P4 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, quite fast & stable
3) eeePC 901 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, fast & stable
4) eeePC 701 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, slower & stable but small and light enough to travel with me to New Zealand when visiting family in Blenheim.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section