• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
Glad you figured it out... a theme or preference always a good place to start, sometimes the simplest  8)
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

Re: Font in VirtualBox
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 07:08:08 PM »

Earthenware

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
And the answer was...

It may be my choice of fonts that's to blame, although I tried a multitude. There's nothing wrong with the Linux Lite installation, nor with my VBox settings, but thanks for the suggestions.

In my case, the problem was solved by changing Anti-Aliasing Hinting from 'Full' to 'Slight'. That made all fonts perfect, both in terminal and all applications.

When I checked my host (Linux Lite 1.0.6) I the Hinting set to Slight there also. I must have changed it sometime in the past and forgotten.

As to why I need the Hinting set to slight, I've no idea. maybe my monitor? Anyway, this is how I fixed the problem so I will mark this thread as solved. Thanks again for the suggestions.

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 09:07:34 PM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
Normally if the Host Graphics are working correctly.?
Then once you install "Guest Additions",
Using "Ctrl+F" should force Guest to "Full Screen" and it should look the same as the "Host"
If not, re-install the "Guest Additions", and re-check output for any errors.
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 05:53:34 PM »

Earthenware

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I tried all those suggestions, thanks.

The best result I could get was by setting my terminal fonts to bold, that at least made them readable without having to switch off anti-aliasing. It's useable so I'll just go with it.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 08:47:12 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

Not sure if it makes a difference.. but VirtualBox version in Linux Lite Synaptic is 4.3.34, maybe missing something???
- but you mention
Kubuntu and OpenSUSE don't have this problem,
assuming these are also VM guests..

If you have additions packages installed, maybe see if you can mount the LiveUSB to replicate (or via a LiveCD).
Perhaps the guests video/graphic drivers/settings are incorrect??
 - Video memory size?
 - Resolution?
Perhaps a filter, effect or theme is turned on - similarly to the transparency effect??

Or for final thoughts.. Maybe terminal font got changed with a theme or something???
In terminal, check edit/preferences = terminal font| size .. mine is set to Monospace |10

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:48:56 PM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 08:17:19 PM »

Earthenware

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Adjusting font size doesn't help. However, turning off anti-aliasing makes fonts easier to read in some application like terminal and geany but unreadable in others, like LibreOffice Calc.

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »

LinuxNoob

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 6x AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780
I installed Linux Lite 2.4 (32-bit) in VirtualBox 5. I'm currently using Linux Lite 1.0.6 as the host.

Installed VBOX additions. Upgraded to Linux Lite 2.6. Installed all my software.

As I've come to expect now from Linux Lite, everything worked first time.

However, I have one small problem - the font is a bit weird. In terminal, Geany, MySQL Workbench etc the font is hard to read. I manually set the font the same as I have in my host and they look very different. Individual letters are hard to distinguish and vertical lines in fonts are very faint. I've tried using different fonts, but not found one that's really useable.

I compared my VirtualBox settings to the tutorial on this forum and they are the same.

It's not my VirtualBox installation as Kubuntu and OpenSUSE don't have this problem, but I want to stick with Linux Lite if possible.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions?

Have you tried to increase the font size?  settings> appearance > Font tab > bottom there is a DPI setting.
I'v been bashing Windows way before Microsoft.....

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 11:54:04 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

Maybe.  Since this is a VM, you don't need a DVD.  You just need the *.ISO file.  You might also want to consider the Display settings of your VM.  You can use the Deluge program to torrent download the *.ISO from the www.linuxliteos.com website.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 11:16:42 AM »

Earthenware

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I happened to have the 2.4 DVD. Do you think it would have made a difference if I had installed 2.6 directly?

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 06:32:46 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

Instead of upgrading to 2.6 from 2.4, why not install 2.6 directly?
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

Font in VirtualBox
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 07:46:35 PM »

Earthenware

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I installed Linux Lite 2.4 (32-bit) in VirtualBox 5. I'm currently using Linux Lite 1.0.6 as the host.

Installed VBOX additions. Upgraded to Linux Lite 2.6. Installed all my software.

As I've come to expect now from Linux Lite, everything worked first time.

However, I have one small problem - the font is a bit weird. In terminal, Geany, MySQL Workbench etc the font is hard to read. I manually set the font the same as I have in my host and they look very different. Individual letters are hard to distinguish and vertical lines in fonts are very faint. I've tried using different fonts, but not found one that's really useable.

I compared my VirtualBox settings to the tutorial on this forum and they are the same.

It's not my VirtualBox installation as Kubuntu and OpenSUSE don't have this problem, but I want to stick with Linux Lite if possible.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 7.0 RC1 Released - See Release Announcement Section