You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

DATA sharing problem for additional distros in a Win7 - LL2 dual boot system

Author (Read 2763 times)

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
However I experienced a problem with binding two more ubuntu-based distros on sda, in addition to the  LL2, and Win 7 on sda, to bind with /mnt/DATA on sdb. The two additional distros wont bind, though Win7 and LL2 remain successfully bound.

Is the presence of Win7 making the binding exclusive, i.e. it will only allow one other distro to share /mnt/DATA with it?

Strange!  I don't have a computer that dual-boots with Windows, but I highly doubt Windows is the cause of the problem.  Not sure what is going wrong, so just going to have you post back a bunch of command output and answers to a few questions that might give us a clue.  Hopefully we can figure it out from there.

What are the other two OSs that you are giving you the problems?

Boot into one of them and post back following info from it (let us know which OS you're using for this):

1.  Copy of bind-home.conf file being used.

2.  Are the problem OSs the same two other distros that you have on the computer with working set-up?

3.  Copy/Paste full terminal output from these commands:

Code: [Select]
id
lsblk
sudo blkid -c /dev/null
cat /etc/fstab
cat /etc/mtab
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
I originally had a multiple boot system with the operating systems of 4 distros on sda (all based on ubuntu), while the swap area and shared DATA partition were on sdb.  This worked well.  I then decided to set (up on 2nd laptop a Win 7 - LL2 dual boot): again a separate shared DATA partition was set up to allow filesharing between Windows 7 & LL2. Again this is worked well,  binding both "My_Documents" in win7 and the Directories in  /home of LL2 to the separate /mnt/DATA partition. 

However I experienced a problem with binding two more ubuntu-based distros on sda, in addition to the  LL2, and Win 7 on sda, to bind with /mnt/DATA on sdb. The two additional distros wont bind, though Win7 and LL2 remain successfully bound.

I have checked the "bind-home.conf" files that I created for the two additional distros but these look fine, as well as the /etc/fstab files that were set up.

When I try to mount /mnt/DATA, using the terminal, I get the following message for either additional distro:

m-z9@z9-AsusX71Q:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/DATA
[sudo] password for m-z9:
Mount is denied because the NTFS volume is already exclusively opened.
The volume may be already mounted, or another software may use it which
could be identified for example by the help of the 'fuser' command.

Is the presence of Win7 making the binding exclusive, i.e. it will only allow one other distro to share /mnt/DATA with it? Wondered if anyone else had experienced this and if there is a way around it?  I have no experience of the fuser command and what this means. 

Many thanks in advance for any help with this.
Kind regards
Mike
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 01:03:23 PM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section