You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Cloning drives

Author (Read 3760 times)

Re: Cloning drives
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 12:25:24 PM »

ChrisL

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5

• MEMORY: 8Gb
Hi Chris,

I would like to clone my primary hard drive onto a larger drive (which I will then use as my primary). I don't want to back-up so I can restore later.  Will Clonzilla clone in this manner a full working drive?
It's been a while since I last did any imaging but I'm fairly certain CloneZilla will do what you need. According to the website: The destination partition must be equal or larger than the source one. So in your case hard drive source and destination won't be an issue.

Boot loader, including grub (version 1 and version 2) and syslinux, could be reinstalled.
I've never used this option but I think it's just that, an option. I don't think it will apply for what you're doing.

When I used Clonezilla I followed the excellent step-by-step directions from this page
http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live-doc.php

Last and most important step. After you clone the drive test it. If it doesn't work you still have the original so no harm done.

Thanks Scott, Yes, looks like it should be straight-forward and (hopefully) I won't need to reload bootloader.  Good tutorials.

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 12:21:46 PM »

ChrisL

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I just used the new "search this website" tool in the bottom r/h corner of my browser for you are talking about. I was amazed at all the hits.

Wow, I see that!  I had used the regular Search and got: "Sorry no matches were found".  Maybe that new button should replace the "Search" window.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 11:27:14 AM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
I just used the new "search this website" tool in the bottom r/h corner of my browser for you are talking about. I was amazed at all the hits.
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 11:11:18 PM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
Hi Chris,

I would like to clone my primary hard drive onto a larger drive (which I will then use as my primary). I don't want to back-up so I can restore later.  Will Clonzilla clone in this manner a full working drive?
It's been a while since I last did any imaging but I'm fairly certain CloneZilla will do what you need. According to the website: The destination partition must be equal or larger than the source one. So in your case hard drive source and destination won't be an issue.

Boot loader, including grub (version 1 and version 2) and syslinux, could be reinstalled.
I've never used this option but I think it's just that, an option. I don't think it will apply for what you're doing.

When I used Clonezilla I followed the excellent step-by-step directions from this page
http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live-doc.php

Last and most important step. After you clone the drive test it. If it doesn't work you still have the original so no harm done.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 11:26:48 PM by Scott(0) »

Cloning drives
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 08:21:07 PM »

ChrisL

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I would like to clone my primary hard drive onto a larger drive (which I will then use as my primary). 

I don't want to back-up so I can restore later.  Will Clonzilla clone in this manner a full working drive?

Looks like it, but ?? I am not totally convinced.   It also says "Boot loader, including grub (version 1 and version 2) and syslinux, could be reinstalled. " so maybe that would need to be done before the drive is fully functional? If so is that difficult to do?

If there is a better tool I am open to suggestions.  Thanks,
                                                                                                 Chris
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 08:44:08 PM by ChrisL »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section