You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Tips

Author (Read 13196 times)

Re: Tips
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 02:28:52 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
Just in addition to Mike's tip.....

Thanks for adding that detail LL-user

Mike ;)
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 06:18:44 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Just in addition to Mike's tip.

The GRUB_TIMEOUT functionality could be misunderstood. It is not determining the duration of the boot process itself.
It tells GRUB to boot the default entry this many seconds after the menu is displayed, unless a key is pressed. Meaning, it tells GRUB when to start the boot process.

To solve dependency issues you could also use
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get -f install

Hope that helps :)

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 10:53:42 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
Hey! Can you guys give me some tips how to make my Linuxlite much faster and lighter?

Hi ThenOOb,
I can give you an effective tip (one that I've used) for reducing or extending boot-up time to whatever duration you want. In the terminal type the following...

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub Change GRUB_TIMEOUT=10 to GRUB_TIMEOUT=2. This will change the boot time to 2 seconds. I prefer not to put '0 seconds' here, as you will loose the privilege to change between OS and recovery options. However if you do use a value of 0 seconds you can always change this in the terminal later if you want, so no harm done.  Once you have changed the grub configuration, save the configuration file, then use the following command to make the change count:
sudo update-grubRegards
Mike

PS. You may need to install gedit as, if I remember correctly, this app is not included in the LL iso file package. You have the choice of using either 'Install Software' (=synaptic package manager) which you'll find under Favourites in the Menu, or using the terminal enter the following code:
sudo apt-get install gedit
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 02:26:31 AM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 12:38:07 AM »

aus9

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 4 core i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200
Hi

Can you guys give me some tips how to make my Linuxlite much faster and lighter?

It might help if you reveal some of your hardware specs?

Try opening a terminal as the local user and posting the contents of this command pls?
inxi -FIf you are paranoid you can delete your mac info showing at network?

2)  What software do you run normally?

3) When running software are you experencing any stutters ....shutdowns etc?

4)  The amount of software does impact on your RAM and your CPU %
so if you don't need do printing or don't use a piece of software and your specs are low, I could advise which to remove or disable the daemon.

Bear in mind that as the guru has already replied here, he may not be too happy with any insunation that I might think that I know more than him....cos I don't.

Never the less if your system specs turn out bad....as a local user run a terminal command of
htop and take a screenshot with your main regular software still running

---but don't post it yet as others may not like my attitude?

cheers
Good Luck

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 06:41:12 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
Boot up is a lot faster than 2.8. I don't know if it is 3.0 or because I am using 64 instead of 32 bit now.  8)

I had been using 32 before because I started with 32 bit on and older computer and did not know if my 32 bit files would be open if I changed to 64.  :-[

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

Tips
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 09:43:55 AM »

then00b

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hey! Can you guys give me some tips how to make my Linuxlite much faster and lighter? Thanks!

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section