• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
If Systemback is not supported in 18.04 base, we will go with another application.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

Re: FYI: Development of SystemBack has been suspended
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 07:29:35 PM »

DenW

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Pentium Dual Core T4300@2100GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVIDIA GeForce G102M
This is my first post to LL forums but I have been following the many interesting threads for a while.

Yes Systemback has ceased development but there are threads elsewhere on these forums when you were discussing possible backup options.
I now use Timeshift  http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html for backup of complete system (minus user files e.g. documents, pictures, music) plus Backintime or Grsync for /home including user files (these programs are in the current repositories and do not compress files like Deja Dup (LL Backups)).

When you upgrade LL to Version 4 using Ubuntu 17.04 you will have a choice to make if Systemback is not updated.

Love the ease of use of LL for new users compared to most "user friendly" distros like Peppermint, Linux Mint and MX-16 which I also use regularly.  You make things really easy with Install Updates, Lite Tweaks, Lite Software and the Help Manual.  Would always recommend LL as first distro for new user.

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 06:01:27 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Many specialized applications are disappearing by name from Ubuntu nowadays quite simply because Ubuntu is assimilating them into Ubuntu itself. I'm sure UCK has a lot to do with the disappearance of support for systemback. Remmina may be the next casualty of the canonical spaghetti monster. There is still no support for it in Deb 9. Remastersys was great back in the day but now even Pinguy seems to have disappeared. It is interesting to me the flood gate seems to have opened when Deb 9 went stable. New apps appeared in a flood when Deb 8 went stable and old apps seem to be losing support now that Deb 9 is stable. There are major differences between Deb 8 and 9, and developers on a shoestring can have a tough go at it. I had my own mysterious dance with the db change at first. I find myself using Ubuntu more and more every day, something I never did at all three years ago. Linux Lite 2.8 was the first Ubuntu based distro I ever used aside from a brief fling after Suse with Kubuntu 12.04. Basically went from Suse to Debian. Now I've begun using Ubuntu for everything I can. Simpler, usually faster, and much more flexible than Deb stable for a lot of things. Still learning every day even though I'm almost as old as dirt.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »

rijnsma

• Forum Regular
  • Never give up..
    • View Profile
Very good solution Systemback.
I use it all the time to make a bootable ISO of the system to be able for instance to put a system on usb.
The 'snapshots' or 'restore-points' are also very helpfull, although slow.
I use Clonezilla too, very good and reliable, but it produces not a bootable live-medium of course.
What is the matter with developers of these apps? One becomes very famous with this kind of software...!
Don't sign off please..?! :smile:

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 09:45:14 AM »

elelme

• Forum Regular
  • Deleted
    • View Profile

Thanks for weighing in, justme2! I realize everyone busy with other projects,
but this systemback situation has been a bother to me. Attempting to learn
clonezilla, but doesn't seem to be so efficient. Also, many programs similar
to systemback are either dormant or called "unstable" by Synaptic description.
I am sure someone will do something, but when is the question...  :)
I love Linux Lite AND systemback, so I guess I like to have my cake and eat
it too.

Addendum: Clonezilla is a bust. Would have to buy a new USB Backup Drive to use
it, it looked like. Sorry.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 11:36:00 AM by elelme »

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 04:14:03 PM »

justme2

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5 vPro

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel
I am saddened that SystemBack may die. Until the announcement was made, I had never used it so I determindly made an ISO of my system and created a bootable DVD. Wow what a useful (and fast) utility it is! If as often happens, I mess up, I would no longer have to go through the reinstall/reconfigure everything process; just reinstall from the DVD. So surely this utility would be part of every linux users armoury, I thought. Should this or something like it be part of every linux distribution, especially now that users are being weaned from windoze, users who want a simple recovery system without the complexities of command line. I don't know what the developer has in mind but there must be other skilled developers in the linux community who could take on this task. Unfortunately I don't have the skills so must rely on more able people.  :(
1) Lenovo T520 i5 LL3.8 8GB ram, fast & stable
2) Medion P4 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, quite fast & stable
3) eeePC 901 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, fast & stable
4) eeePC 701 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, slower & stable but small and light enough to travel with me to New Zealand when visiting family in Blenheim.

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 12:48:15 PM »

elelme

• Forum Regular
  • Deleted
    • View Profile

Okay, haven't been impressed with suggestions for a Systemback replacement so far.
And, as stated elsewhere, it looks like Systemback may be dormant.

So here is where I am with this...( And not wishing to mark this quest ABANDONED quite yet. )

I can use the Backups a/k/a Deja Dup (?) in lieu of restore points, I think ?
And then what I need is to have a program that can make a simple bootable ISO from my current install, including my personal data and settings. It's probably out there, and I just have not come
across it. Is there such a program out there?
If not, I will quit beating this dead horse, as someone here said. My apologies.

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 12:13:28 PM »

elelme

• Forum Regular
  • Deleted
    • View Profile

Paul1149, I will look into Clonezilla, and Supergamer, I will ponder your answer and suss something out. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, fellows!

Now, JERRY, I have written Kende Krisztian and heaped praise, respectfully.
Thanks for that email address.

Who knows what will happen?  I know there are many folks on other forums that have recommended
this Systemback, too.

And in trying to make a tar of my system, I might have invented a perpetual motion machine... :o
it was still trying to make after 3 hours and the size was nearing 15 gigs. I finally stopped it,
as I had no idea how much longer it might take; I simply needed my rest.

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 10:46:57 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 10:10:55 PM »

supergamer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Phenom 565

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: 550 ti
If this answer is controversial please delete moderators. There is a way to do this without systemback, also systemback uses links to folders from previous backups to keep the backup small. The first backup always takes the longest because it is doing everything. So now onto how to do this using something fairly simple. You have the choice of programs from Respin to UCK. I use Respin, I probably shouldn't go into how to much as it is pretty straight forward but make sure you look at the /etc/respin.conf file, if you install, and make sure the username is the same for the username your using. You can also modify the scripts to not make a bootable iso and it will just have your folders and stuff. I do not use Respin this way so this is completely unproven but they are just simple scripts. I would also move the folder after a backup like this so Respin doesn't write over the old folder. It's another way, not perfect but another way. It would great if someone was to write a GUI for it to do either a backup or complete bootable backup.

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 08:47:33 PM »

paul1149

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Enjoying Linux
    • View Profile

• CPU: C2D

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia
@elelme What I generally do is take a periodic image of the system, with more frequent data backups. That way I can easily restore to a fairly recent state, then overlay the most recent data. In Windows I use AOMEI, which is very good though not perfect, and can be used live. In Linux I use Clonezilla, which must be used offilne, for the image, and FreeSync for the data. The image, however, is not going to be 1.5gb. I have no idea how SB gets it that small.

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 05:59:30 PM »

elelme

• Forum Regular
  • Deleted
    • View Profile

Hello again...Attempting to figure some way to do alternate to SystemBack, I tried to first backup my system into a tarball, then intending to figure out how to go from there to making an .iso .
(Haven't fooled with the terminal since the days of RedHat5, when dinosaurs roamed the earth.)

So I tried
    sudo tar - cvpzf backup.tar.gz --exclude=/mnt  /

And no joy. What did I do wrong?

More Update: eliminated the " exclude=/mnt " and it started fine.
But over 2 hours later, I have a tar.gz that is 12.7G and still in the make.
SO THIS MUST BE THE WRONG WAY TO GO ABOUT DOING THIS.
My normal .sblive in tar form from SystemBack of this same system is 1.5G.
New respect for you guys and would sure like those 2 hours of my life back!
And if the bootable ISO is this big, then WOW, do I need SystemBack maintained!

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 08:29:57 PM by elelme »

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 12:49:13 PM »

elelme

• Forum Regular
  • Deleted
    • View Profile

Thanks Paul1149 for being more thorough than I was able to be.
Backup won't replace SYSTEMBACK, as far as I can tell; I don't remember any program that could. Hope you are right about someone taking the project up if the author doesn't.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 12:52:24 PM by elelme »

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 08:12:17 PM »

paul1149

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Enjoying Linux
    • View Profile

• CPU: C2D

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia
Yikes, Already, Systemback does not support ubuntu 17.04.
https://answers.launchpad.net/systemback/+question/633628

I assumed it would remain viable for a long time. I didn't see licensing details at the site, but perhaps the suspension is temporary, or maybe someone else could take the project up.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 04:25:38 PM »

elelme

• Forum Regular
  • Deleted
    • View Profile

Was just looking to do that, Jerry, but it seems I don't know enough Hungarian to reach out.  :-\
But I will keep trying.  Meanwhile.... (And question is open to any and all---)
Is there any equivalent program, or do I need to learn how to make a live ISO from my current desktop (if possible) thru a command line?

UPDATE: Tried to reach out @ https://launchpad.net/~nemh and even joined (SHHH!) Ubuntu group
there, trying to get an email so I could encourage developer, but reached a dead-end. Don't know
the tricks of the trade, I guess. Not a real forum/club guy... :-[
SO, maybe learning how to do this thru a terminal may not be the worst thing???
Just in case, I mean. 
I sing Systemback's praise, too, but you wouldn't want to hear the croak!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 04:52:58 PM by elelme »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 7.0 RC1 Released - See Release Announcement Section