You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Trying to move from XP to Linux

Author (Read 2897 times)

Re: Trying to move from XP to Linux
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 04:29:17 AM »

Dookus

• Registered Linux User 533331
  • Forum Regular
  • I'm just this guy .... y'know?!
    • View Profile

• CPU: Many

• VIDEO CARD: Many
Every laptop I have installed LL on has worked close to flawless out of the box, LL2 has been something decent, the previous versions were also very good with very few items needing attention! and the one desktop, a Dell Celeron POS with 1 gig RAm has been a pleasure, each one came with Vista, my partners 10 year old Laptop which was running XP has also run well for a low spec machine, none of the machines duel boot, never have I wanted access to M$ products or felt the OS could be better while using any of them!
I'm just this guy ... Y'know!?
Registered Linux User 533331

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:27:44 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Frits,

Welcome to LL and the world of Linux.  When you have the time, there are some good links to general Linux information in this post:  https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php?topic=273.0.  You may find some of them helpful as a beginner with Linux.  Also, if you haven't seen it already, the LL Help Manual has some good info in it as well:  https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/.

I haven't tested Xubuntu recently myself, but generally speaking LL's performance should be very similar.  You may notice slightly better responsiveness in LL, but wouldn't expect it to be a huge difference.  Like Valtam said:  only way to really know is to go ahead and install it to see how it performs.  I'm confident you will like what you find.

As for the Flash Player issue -- that is solveable in Xubuntu through a series of steps that reverts to an older flash player version.  In LL, Valtam made an easy-to-install package to take care of doing that for you.  So you will be able to get Flash working again on that machine.  Look under the heading "Flash for older machines" half way down the release announcement page for LL 2.0 here:  https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php?topic=391.0.

Good luck.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 08:43:31 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Hello Frits, the only way to find out if all your hardware etc works as it should is to run the live image (usb is best)If everything works, then you're in business, if it doesn't then you haven't had to commit to an install. The responsiveness question can only be answered after you install Linux Lite to your hard drive.

Trying to move from XP to Linux
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 05:37:45 PM »

Frits

Hello all,

Currently I'm doing my first attempts at linux on an old Shuttle pc with an AMD XP 3000+ processor and 1 GB RAM. I still use this machine for web surfing, text editing and some spreadsheet work. I've installed Xubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside Win XP and ran into issues with flash player (won't play) and a minor problem with sound (microphone input not audible on line-out). I gather that these problems are caused by the Shuttle's old (unsupported?) hardware. The upside is that Xubuntu's apps run nicely on this pc and it "feels" responsive.

OK, here I am already with some questions: I understand that LL is based on Ubuntu 14.04. With LL, can I expect more problems regarding old hardware support than I have in Xubuntu 12.04 LTS? And will the Shuttle still feel as responsive with LL?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Frits

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section