You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Another new user

Author (Read 2781 times)

Re: Another new user
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 02:58:19 PM »

smhardesty

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A8-6410 APU

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon R5 Graphics × 4
Hey, thanks, guys. I wasn't ignoring you. I got all tied up trying to get Lite installed on my wife's laptop and had a real lively conversation going with gold_finger in the Installation category. I finally got it installed, but not the way I wanted to. I'm still unable to use a USB stick to install from on that laptop. I finally cheated and put an optical drive in it to do the install, then took the drive back out and put it back in my laptop.

Anyway, thanks for the welcomes!
Steve

If I was able to help, click my "Thank" link.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 03:49:04 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello smhardesty,

Welcome to the forum and Linux Lite :)

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 03:38:03 PM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7020U

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

• Kernel: 5.x
welcome
Life on earth is expensive but it does include a free trip around the sun.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 02:39:20 PM »

smhardesty

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the welcomes.

Maxheadroom, I know EXACTLY what you mean when you say, "Mint became overloaded". That's part of what I believe caused the performance problems I kept having. I was running Mint Mate, and not XFCE, but I had installed and tried Mint XFCE in the past, and it just wasn't as solid and fast as I thought it should have been. A good friend and former business partner and I complain about distros "bloating". We just don't see why so many of the creators of what "should be" lightweight and solid distros end up allowing their creation to become so big and bloated.

We also complain about Firefox doing the same thing. I've been around the computer industry a long time so I've seen this happen to operating systems and applications a lot. One of the first to really bug me was good, old, Netscape. Netscape just blew Internet Explorer away back in the day. That held true through about version 4.6 and then Netscape started to become the "everything you need", big, bloated piece of software that I could no longer take. Firefox was fantastic through somewhere around version 3.X and it stared to bloat up as well.

I fully understand that change is necessary to keep up with security problems, changes to web sites, etc, etc, but I just don't see the need for a lot of what eventually gets packed into an app or OS. But enough of my ranting. I just popped on here to check for replies to my only post so far. As soon as I leave I'm going to install Lite on my wife's laptop. She is insisting I load her machine up first this time as I occasionally don't get to hers in a timely manner after I get my laptop and/or desktop installed and tweaked.

Thanks again for the welcomes!
Steve

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 08:00:10 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Welcome to Linux Lite and the forum!
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 01:42:32 PM »

banko

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Celeron CPU T3300 (-MCP-)

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated
A warm welcome.
LL just works, rock solid, that's all I need.  :) :) :) :)

Keith.

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 03:56:24 PM »

maxheadroom

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Welcome to Linux Lite. I am sure you will enjoy it. I also switched from Mint Xfce; I had no performance issues, but - I really can't name it what it was exactly - I somehow had the feeling that Mint became overloaded. Have fun.

Another new user
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 02:45:22 PM »

smhardesty

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thought I'd make a quick intro. I have been using Linux for about 14 or 15 years. Most recently have been using Mint 18. For some reason I have experienced slow downs with my Mint installs over the last year or so. The kind of slow downs in performance you expect out of a Windows install. Never could figure out what it was so decided to jump ship and find a distro that was lighter weight and less resource hungry. I had narrowed it down to Lite and WattOS. I had almost decided to go with WattOS, but then ran into problems setting up my wireless printer and also problems connecting to my other computers with shared directories. Couldn't get around it so have now decided to get Lite installed on all my rigs, desktop and laptops. Running the Lite Live DVD was already faster than Mint had been performing so I'm really looking forward to getting it installed and tweaked.

As for me personally, I spent over 30 years in the data processing/computer industry in some capacity. I've gotten a little older and I just no longer have any desire to spend all the time trouble shooting an install that isn't quite working right, or spending all nighters getting an app to run on whatever OS/distro I have. I've reached a point where all I want to do is fire the PC up, open whatever app I need, do the work (or play), and be done with it. Lite really seems to be that type of distro.

I might have a question or two at some point in the future. Hopefully I won't bug too many folks with too many issues.
Steve

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section