You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

How to uninstall fully in Synaptic.

Author (Read 3279 times)

Re: How to uninstall fully in Synaptic.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 08:57:04 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Yes the commands would remove using the CLI.
The above shows how it can be done using Synaptic, it's about learning one of the ways to use Synaptic.

Where I use CLI it also needs learning, I am also trying to do this.
The task/s were -
Displaying a list of all gstreamer plugins.
Displaying which are already installed.
Then installing others and then uninstalling those not helpful, until I was able to solve the problem with Xfburn.
This was beyond my level of using the CLI unsupervised yet, I done it using Synaptic instead.
That worked out well so I decided to share it in case it helps anyone else with a similar set of tasks who wanted to do it in Synaptic.

Re: How to uninstall fully in Synaptic.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 05:02:24 AM »

LinuxNoob

I could be wrong but would the

% sudo apt-get update
% sudo apt-get upgrade

take care of the files that are no longer needed?

I mean after it does the upgrade thing,  it points out that a few files are no longer needed and a

%sudo apt-get autoremove

However I have noticed that history thing.

would take care of those files?

How to uninstall fully in Synaptic.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello,

this is a solution to a task I came across last night, thought I would share with any others who do not already know.

I installed Brasero, and decided to uninstall it and persist with Xfburn.
I installed Brasero via Synaptic, and to uninstall I used Synaptic, when I marked for install it brought down multiple other files, when I marked it for Full Removal it only removed 1 file Brasero, I could see 2 others named Brasero below it that were still installed.

So I began to look through all the tabs, and noticed there is a History item in the File menu, clicking this produces a GUI with the month/s in the left column, if one is clicked (on arrow) it drops down revealing all installs and uninstalls by date and order during that month, each can be clicked individually ;)
Locating the Brasero install it displayed a list of all the files Brasero had installed with itself.
I was then able to use Synaptic's search function, with this History window open,  to quickly find and remove these one at a time to tidy up.

As I had made other installs last night I realized, when using Synaptic if we only install 1 program at a time, including accepting to install any others it needs to install with itself.
If after Applying this install, you then begin another install of a different program, the two programs and their dependent files will be on separate batches of actions in the History GUI as Apply was pressed separate for each program, so it allows you to do the uninstalls as described above, knowing these are relating to the specific program, which will be at the top of the list and the dependent files below it. 

I thought this may be useful for others if you are installing/uninstalling to find a program you like, and it wouldn't leave lots of no longer needed files around that may become a cause of problems.

Sorry for long winded way of describing this.
Hope someone else finds it useful.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 01:41:51 PM by bitsnpcs »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section