You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Where is the install file? Win10 64bit

Author (Read 5537 times)

Re: Where is the install file? Win10 64bit
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 08:45:44 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Thank you for your response.  I followed your tutorial on making the Live USB with every step being completed successfully just as in your tutorial.  Then when I clicked on it in File Explorer, it said E is not accessible.  Volume does not contain recognized file system and then above it appeared Quick access with a bar going across.  Before I formatted it, it was readable and showed capacity 32GB, available 32GB used 0.  Now after the format, File explorer  doesn't even see it, and Total Commander shows capacity 0, available 0, used 0.

Hello PeterLinuxLit,

not followed every step of the tutorial, quite exactly :) , see tutorial steps -
number 9 - how to boot from your new LIVE USB and install Linux Lite.
or
number 10 - what to do if you wish to boot from your USB at a later time.

As to why browsing usb it will not work, is explained above by firenice03

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 01:02:28 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
Thank you for your response.  I followed your tutorial on making the Live USB with every step being completed successfully just as in your tutorial.  Then when I clicked on it in File Explorer, it said E is not accessible.  Volume does not contain recognized file system and then above it appeared Quick access with a bar going across.  Before I formatted it, it was readable and showed capacity 32GB, available 32GB used 0.  Now after the format, File explorer  doesn't even see it, and Total Commander shows capacity 0, available 0, used 0.

That's fine; it may not be accessible after writing - It has a bootable partition, for what ever reason Windows doesn't like to read it...
Reboot and Choose the USB from boot options....
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 11:52:43 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

@PeterLinuxLit,

How to Use Win32DiskImager:

If you're having trouble with that, consider Etcher:
https://etcher.io/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 01:43:23 PM by torreydale »
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 09:36:43 AM »

PeterLinuxLit

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5-6198

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NVidea GeForce
I have downloaded Linux Lite 64bit for ASUS computer more than once.  I want to install Linux Lite and delete Windows 10.  Where is the install program?  Every file I click on causes Win10 to ask what to open it with.

I have created a win10 recovery USB stick just in case.

What file do I click on and how do I get the installation process started?

Thanks

Hello PeterLinuxLit,

what you have downloaded is not a program to click and run, it is an ISO, you cannot run that on Windows, or use something like ISO BPro easily to run it.

***You need to make either a USB or DVD of the iso, insert it and reboot, it will then boot up from the ISO file. Once booted up and you arrive at the Linux Lite desktop there is a file on the desktop "Install Linux". You click this and follow the instructions, this will install Linux, and remove Windows 10 if you choose this option to wipe hdd.***

Here is my tutorial on making the LIVE USB, do not make it on the same USB as the Windows 10 is stored, this will only complicate construction matters.

http://yeyelinux.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/making-your-first-live-linux-usb.html

If you prefer to make the ISO as a DVD to install from here is my tutorial for making this

http://yeyelinux.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/making-your-first-live-linux-dvd.html

***Here is my tutorial video showing the install process using the USB or dvd you make of the downloaded ISO, from beginning to end including installing the first software on Linux Lite, video runs 11:47 Minutes, real time with edits takes about < 15 Minutes.
Begin video from 2:03 Minutes for installing.

Once it is installed, on reboot, to begin you will then need to follow the guide of "firenice03"

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 08:38:48 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

After launching Win32DiskImager..

Click the the Blue Folder, map to the path of the LL ISO file.. (Choose folders and select file - don't just type in the name)
- In the Lower Right (above Open/Cancel) Click the drop down to change from *.img *.IMG to *.*
- *.* = Will show all files including ISO files... What were looking for.. Select the LL.ISO

Once ISO is selected.. Ensure DEVICE is showing the preferred device you want to make (USB/DVD) - I use USB.. Make sure the drive selected is the USB you want - it will overwrite all data...

Leaving the rest as is (Hash-None; Uncheck Read Only)

Click WRITE

This should yield a LiveUSB/LiveDVD of the LL iso..

Reboot and choose to boot to USB/DVD and enjoy..

If still having issues post back..
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 08:14:51 AM »

PeterLinuxLit

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

A good place to start is to read over the manual: https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html

You'll need to create a LIVEUSB from the ISO you downloaded (see manual) - you can boot to it to test and try LinuxLite from within you can choose to install...

To start after creating LiveUSB..

Torreydale and I posted at the same time.. Lots of info in the manual and within the forum  ;)

Oh and Welcome

Thanks for your response, the information you have given has been very helpful.

I can't seem to get a LIVEUSB though.  I downloaded the Win32DiskImager, installed it and ran it.  It shows Cancel, Read, Write, Verify Only, Exit as possible options but at first only Exit shows in black, the others are greyed out.  When I enter a filename and press enter then Read appears in black, the others remain grey.

The first time I ran this program, Win10 was convinced it had written it on a DVD in drive D: even though I had selected drive H.  File Explorer showed the file on a DVD in drive D, a phantom DVD because drive D was empty.  I looked at the size of the iso file and it was 986 MB so I backed it up on an 8GB USB stick.

I realized that even though Win32DiskImager only shows Read option it actually has produced two files during the 5 or 6 times I have run it.  These files are much larger, linux-lite-3.4-beta-64bit (14.9GB) and linux-lite-3.4-64bit (28.9).  I figure that these two files are the output of Win32DiskImager program and that these are the bootable files, but neither will copy to either of my USB sticks.  I get a file too large error even when I try to copy the smaller beta file (14.9GB) onto a new 32USB stick I had to buy just for this bootable USB Linux Lite OS.

I know something is wrong, probably something I have done or something with some security limitation.  I have uninstalled MacAfee.

Before I started I chose Linux Lite precisely because I thought it was lite.  I didn't have any idea what size it would be but I was hoping it would be much smaller than 32GB.  Did I make the wrong choice of a Linux distribution?

Thanks

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 05:58:13 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
I have downloaded Linux Lite 64bit for ASUS computer more than once.  I want to install Linux Lite and delete Windows 10.  Where is the install program?  Every file I click on causes Win10 to ask what to open it with.

Thanks

Hello PeterLinuxLit,

what you have downloaded is not a program to click and run, it is an ISO, you cannot run that on Windows, or use something like ISO BPro easily to run it.

***You need to make either a USB or DVD of the iso, insert it and reboot, it will then boot up from the ISO file. Once booted up and you arrive at the Linux Lite desktop there is a file on the desktop "Install Linux". You click this and follow the instructions, this will install Linux, and remove Windows 10 if you choose this option to wipe hdd.***

Here is my tutorial on making the LIVE USB, do not make it on the same USB as the Windows 10 is stored, this will only complicate construction matters.

http://yeyelinux.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/making-your-first-live-linux-usb.html

If you prefer to make the ISO as a DVD to install from here is my tutorial for making this

http://yeyelinux.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/making-your-first-live-linux-dvd.html

***Here is my tutorial video showing the install process using the USB or dvd you make of the downloaded ISO, from beginning to end including installing the first software on Linux Lite, video runs 11:47 Minutes, real time with edits takes about < 15 Minutes.
Begin video from 2:03 Minutes for installing.

Once it is installed, on reboot, to begin you will then need to follow the guide of "firenice03"
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 06:33:51 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 01:45:15 PM »

PeterLinuxLit

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@PeterLinuxLit,

There is an installation guide located here:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/

Basically, there is an Install Linux Lite icon on the desktop of the Live Media.  You click on that and follow the instructions seen on your screen.  You can use the Installation Guide as, well, a guide.

First of all, thank you for your rapid response.  You are very kind.  I can't remember why I couldn't find the online manual.  All the information I found seemed to be about what you do after installation.

Sorry for my delayed response, my job inherently prevents any sort of prolonged attention to anything, characterized as it is by interruptions.

In spite of it all, I made some progress, but still have a long way to go.  I will detail my efforts in my response to the other person who responded to my plea.  I hope you have access to the full conversation, since I am new to this forum, I don't know how it works.

Peter

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 10:16:34 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

A good place to start is to read over the manual: https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html

You'll need to create a LIVEUSB from the ISO you downloaded (see manual) - you can boot to it to test and try LinuxLite from within you can choose to install...

To start after creating LiveUSB..

Torreydale and I posted at the same time.. Lots of info in the manual and within the forum  ;)

Oh and Welcome
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:19:18 AM by firenice03 »

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 10:14:43 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

@PeterLinuxLit,

There is an installation guide located here:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/

Basically, there is an Install Linux Lite icon on the desktop of the Live Media.  You click on that and follow the instructions seen on your screen.  You can use the Installation Guide as, well, a guide.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

Where is the install file? Win10 64bit
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 09:25:38 AM »

PeterLinuxLit

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section