You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

User Account setup problem in LL/lubuntu/zorin/win7 multiboot

Author (Read 4704 times)

Re: User Account setup problem in LL/lubuntu/zorin/win7 multiboot
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 05:07:39 PM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
I'm not sure why that's happening if you set both to not auto-login.  Let it boot into "happyfamily", then logout instead of rebooting.  Should then see login screen where you can choose to boot in as either one of you.  Choose "sam-the-editor" and login there.  Then do shutdown/reboot from that account and see if it still auto-logs-in to "happyfamily".

If not solved, you may want to also post question about that on Lubuntu forums in case nobody here knows the answer.  I've never used Lubuntu, so not familiar with how there gui may work.  Also not sure what setting "sam-the-editor" to "Desktop user" did and whether that may have affected (or not) the settings specified with the command I specified for setting up that user.  The whole point of using the command was to get the account setup exactly the same way as in LL.  If their defaults for "Desktop user" are not the same as in the command things may have changed.

@goldfinger...
many thanks indeed for your patience & kindness. I set up Lubuntu again as you outlined, following your instructions to the letter - I persevered some more with this though regrettably with limited success. I was able to get the login choice box to appear, by changing the 'time out' from 0 to 60 at boot. The final straw, that made me abandon Lubuntu 14.04.5 completely, was when I found my son  could boot into both my admin a/c & his user a/c with his password! I reset the passwords using the terminal and ended up with a PC that failed to boot... aaargh!!!

So, in the end, I convinced my young son that LL3.0 was the way to go (he seems happy enough) , as I feel more confident with this OS more than other distro, thanks largely to LL-forum support - setting up the user & admin accounts was really straightforward compared to Lubuntu! Just have some problems running Supertuxkart version 0.8.1-2 in LL3.0 - I sent a separate request for help on this today at https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/games-support/supertuxkart-0-8-1-2-dependencies-not-satisfied-in-ll3-0-how-to-fix/msg27100/?topicseen#msg27100

Thanks again goldfinger
Mike
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:09:12 AM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 07:33:55 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
I'm not sure why that's happening if you set both to not auto-login.  Let it boot into "happyfamily", then logout instead of rebooting.  Should then see login screen where you can choose to boot in as either one of you.  Choose "sam-the-editor" and login there.  Then do shutdown/reboot from that account and see if it still auto-logs-in to "happyfamily".

If not solved, you may want to also post question about that on Lubuntu forums in case nobody here knows the answer.  I've never used Lubuntu, so not familiar with how there gui may work.  Also not sure what setting "sam-the-editor" to "Desktop user" did and whether that may have affected (or not) the settings specified with the command I specified for setting up that user.  The whole point of using the command was to get the account setup exactly the same way as in LL.  If their defaults for "Desktop user" are not the same as in the command things may have changed.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 07:04:54 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

Yes, everything looks good now.

If you didn't set the password for "sam-the-editor" do that following instructions posted before.

If you want to reset a new password for "happyfamily" you can either do it through gui program, or with this terminal command when you're logged-in as "happyfamily":
Code: [Select]
passwdIt will ask you to enter the current password; then enter new password; then enter new one again to confirm it; done.
I've changed the admin password for happyfamily using the terminal, and changed the account type for sam-the-editor to 'Desktop user', and given him a password, using Lubuntu's Users & Groups GUI.
Though the passwords for both happyfamily & sam-the-editor have been set to "Asked on login", using the GUI, when I reboot the laptop it goes straight to happyfamily without asking for any passwords, i.e. bypassing the 'login screen'.

Almost there, but am unsure how to fix this.
Mike
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 06:37:12 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Yes, everything looks good now.

If you didn't set the password for "sam-the-editor" do that following instructions posted before.

If you want to reset a new password for "happyfamily" you can either do it through gui program, or with this terminal command when you're logged-in as "happyfamily":
passwdIt will ask you to enter the current password; then enter new password; then enter new one again to confirm it; done.

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 06:18:40 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

Sorry, I forgot the "sudo" in that command.  Try again with this:
sudo useradd -m -G adm,cdrom,dip,plugdev,users,lpadmin,sambashare -s /bin/bash sam-the-editor
P.s.  Will fix it in original post.
@gold_finger - this is the output from Lubuntu's terminal - I've included the 'awk' line of code too ...
happyfamily@happyfamily-X71Q:~$ sudo useradd -m -G adm,cdrom,dip,plugdev,users,lpadmin,sambashare -s /bin/bash sam-the-editor
[sudo] password for happyfamily:
happyfamily@happyfamily-X71Q:~$ awk -F: '($3 >= 1000) {printf "%s:%s:%s\n",$1,$3,$4}' /etc/passwd
nobody:65534:65534
happyfamily:1000:1000
sam-the-editor:1001:1001

Gold_finger, does this look fixed now? If you think it looks right I'll then mark this as solved.
I'll now need to change the admin password for happyfamily as Sam has been using this account while  I've been setting up his sam-the-editor account, with your help of course.  I think I can use the GUI on Lubuntu for this under Users and Groups.

Many thanks for your continued support
Mike
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 06:21:04 AM by m654321 »

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 09:40:46 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Sorry, I forgot the "sudo" in that command.  Try again with this:
sudo useradd -m -G adm,cdrom,dip,plugdev,users,lpadmin,sambashare -s /bin/bash sam-the-editor

P.s.  Will fix it in original post.

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 08:55:38 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
From a Lubuntu terminal try: sudo visudo and see which users if any are listed in the file. Also try the command gold_finger suggested without "sambashare"

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 06:37:32 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

Sorry, I didn't forget about you -- have just been tied-up with other things for past few days.
"sam-the-editor" is showing in both groups 1001 and 1002, but group 1001 is called "sam".
Suggest we start fresh, so before we continue, if there is any data saved to home of "sam-the-editor" in Lubuntu, save it off to a USB stick first.  (You can copy it back later.)

Boot into Lubuntu as "happyfamily" (not sam-the-editor).  Open a terminal and enter this command to delete "sam-the-editor" account including respective home files.
sudo userdel --remove sam-the-editor
Run this command again to see who shows up as users on computer (with ID# > 1000):
awk -F: '($3 >= 1000) {printf "%s:%s:%s\n",$1,$3,$4}' /etc/passwd
Hopefully you only see:

Assuming that went okay, run this command again to see what groups (with ID# > 1000) are still on computer:
awk -F: '($3 >= 1000) {printf "%s:%s\n",$1,$3}' /etc/group
I'm guessing it will show:
nogroup:65534
happyfamily:1000
sam:1001

Many thanks gold_finger, in getting back to me. The above was fine & worked smoothly - the outcomes were as you predicted.
However the next step didn't work, as you will see from lubuntu's terminal output, after the quote below.

Now create "sam-the-editor" account again and it should end up with UID and GID both being 1001.  Here's the command:
useradd -m -G adm,cdrom,dip,plugdev,users,lpadmin,sambashare -s /bin/bash sam-the-editor

Output from Lubuntu's terminal in response to the last line of code:
happyfamily@happyfamily-X71Q:~$ useradd -m -G adm,cdrom,dip,plugdev,users,lpadmin,sambashare -s /bin/bash sam-the-editor
useradd: Permission denied.
useradd: cannot lock /etc/passwd; try again later.
happyfamily@happyfamily-X71Q:~$

I rebooted into Lubuntu, and ran the "useradd -m -G ......" line of code again, but the outcome was the same so I'm unsure now how to proceed.

Mike

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 06:40:36 AM by m654321 »

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 06:02:18 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Sorry, I didn't forget about you -- have just been tied-up with other things for past few days.

"sam-the-editor" is showing in both groups 1001 and 1002, but group 1001 is called "sam".

Suggest we start fresh, so before we continue, if there is any data saved to home of "sam-the-editor" in Lubuntu, save it off to a USB stick first.  (You can copy it back later.)

Boot into Lubuntu as "happyfamily" (not sam-the-editor).  Open a terminal and enter this command to delete "sam-the-editor" account including respective home files.
sudo userdel --remove sam-the-editor

Run this command again to see who shows up as users on computer (with ID# > 1000):

Hopefully you only see:

Assuming that went okay, run this command again to see what groups (with ID# > 1000) are still on computer:

I'm guessing it will show:
nogroup:65534
happyfamily:1000
sam:1001

If that's correct, we'll get rid of "sam" group with this command:
sudo groupdel sam

Now create "sam-the-editor" account again and it should end up with UID and GID both being 1001.  Here's the command:

Make a password for "sam-the-editor" account:
sudo passwd sam-the-editor

Use two "awk -F" commands from before to check what users and groups show up.  This time "sam-the-editor" should show as UID and GID 1001 and there should be no more "sam" GID.

Logout (or Reboot) and login with "sam-the-editor", then copy back anything saved before into appropriate home folders.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 09:42:37 AM by gold_finger »

User Account setup problem in LL/lubuntu/zorin/win7 multiboot
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 05:49:37 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

@gold_finger
This thread follows on from https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/installing-linux-lite/how-do-i-reinstall-ll-safely-in-a-win7win7zorinlubuntull-multiboot/, whose original objective was solved, though the issue of setting up the account on Lubuntu for my son (which followed on from this) remains unresolved.  I'm therefore setting up this thread to address the user account setup in lubuntu.  My sincere apologies for the delay in replying to your instructions -  I have copied and pasted my reply to you below - just want to reiterate that I greatly value your help.

Regards
Mike

You said (gold_finger):
I forgot you had Zorin on there as well, but see that you went ahead and changed that too.  Good job.As I understand it, when you run id command in both Zorin and LL it shows UID and GID = 1001.  Correct?

Me: Yes, that's correct...

You: If so, run these two commands in Lubuntu terminal and let's see who shows up as GID=1001.

List users (and their respective UID, GID) with a UID equal to or greater than 1000 as listed in
/etc/passwd file:

List groups with a GID equal to or greater than 1000 as listed in /etc/group file:

Copy/Paste results back here.

Me: The output from Lubuntu's terminal is as follows:
happyfamily@happyfamily-X71Q:~$ awk -F: '($3 >= 1000) {printf "%s:%s:%s\n",$1,$3,$4}' /etc/passwdnobody:65534:65534happyfamily:1000:1000sam-the-editor:1001:1002
happyfamily@happyfamily-X71Q:~$ awk -F: '($3 >= 1000) {printf "%s:%s\n",$1,$3}' /etc/groupnogroup:65534happyfamily:1000sam:1001sam-the-editor:1002
happyfamily@happyfamily-X71Q:~$

« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 10:26:03 AM by m654321 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section