You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Trying to get an operating system that works.

Author (Read 15370 times)

Re: Trying to get an operating system that works.
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 11:17:26 AM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
& while I have got your attention if somebody could explain why my keyboard continues to type " when I want @ & vica verser despite my making sure that the keyboard I use is English (UK) in the settings facility that would be very nice.

I kinda sorta ran into that on one of my installs.

Code: [Select]
numlockx off
In a terminal might fix this problem for you. Maybe.
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 09:44:48 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
What & throw away my two quid already invested! :o
Or download for free; create a USB/DVD LOL  ;D

If you're really wanting to continue with the current state/install...

I tried typing your commands directly into the terminal as "sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install lite-upgrade-series2.8" & it then asks for my password but makes it impossible for me to type it!

Try the link for tutorial to fix your kb settings: https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/other/some-keyboard-character-keys-in-wrong-place-after-upgrade-to-2-6-how-to-fix/msg17180/#msg17180

This may alleviate the keyboard issues - although if the keyboard was incorrect at set up it should work but to correct follow the link..

If it still doesn't allow you may want to try resetting the password and try using standard keys...
Following the tutorial in the Help Manual:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#respassword

Should the above get you to a usable state..
The instruction to create media is here:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#installguide
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:16:43 AM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 05:31:06 AM »

SICKOFLINUX

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
The Shop link is at the top of the Forums page.

What & throw away my two quid already invested! :o

We Brits did'nt get to be such a successful prosperous race through reckless squandering of recourses you know  ;)

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 05:25:06 AM »

SICKOFLINUX

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Greetings...

Your system isn't too bad with some minimal upgrades - Looks like you have a PN121AA - HP Media Center m1180.uk Photosmart PC??
Which I got from your post
" Linuxlite@linuxlite-PN121AA-ABU-mll80-uk:$" What the hell am I supposed to do then?
Its specs here: https://h10057.www1.hp.com/ecomcat/hpcatalog/specs/provisioner/05/PN121AA.htm
Shows 512mb ram upgrade-able to 4gb.. The 512 default may also be sharing some with the video card thus showing less system system ram. Not saying you have to max it out but 2gb would be a world of difference.

Bitsnpcs post will help with the keyboard errors...

Again following Jerry's suggestion there could many ifs where you may want to start fresh...

I think you're on the right track ... 8)

Your right about the computer I have & was very pleased with it being a media center pc before Microsoft pulled the plug on Windows XP.It's now pretty old & knackered & though I did consider adding more RAM even that proved a complicated bloody problem in practice.

What I really need is a replacement  :(

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 05:17:36 AM »

SICKOFLINUX

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Why did you buy it at all? I just downloaded and burned the image to a cd and installed on my laptop, no problem, no quirks. I have been running this distro for about two weeks now: to the point that it is very close to becoming my primary tool despite the fact that I am surrounded by laptops that are running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and Windows XP. (I erased the Vista to put in LL...).

I bought it because I tried every other conceivable method of installing Linux lite on this computer spending hours on youtube trying to get the gist of it & none of the methods worked for all sorts of complicated reasons.Not least that the DVD burning facility that worked for years in Windows XP suddenly started not recognizing DVD's it had previously successfully burned DVD's to when placed it's own DVD writer drive.(I have previously burned UBUNTU 12.04 onto a DVD no problem & installed LUBUNTU on a small laptop with a usb key so I am not exactly a novice at this).I have had computer problems that are simply beyond belief & am now inclined to think that they are all the work of the Devil.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 05:06:59 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

The Shop link is at the top of the Forums page.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 04:59:50 AM »

SICKOFLINUX

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I'm reluctant to support non-official DVD media since any number of alterations could have been made to it. If you didn't get it from our website on official media, there can be countless unknowns concerning the DVD.

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

I would have preferred the official most up to date version but like I said was denied access to the site.The one I bought off ebay was half the price & seems official judging by the label.

I did think it a bit odd & presumed the seller must have somehow got hold of a lot of unused stock.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 04:51:33 AM »

SICKOFLINUX

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hello,

the minimum specifications are 512MB of RAM, 0.5MB is not enough RAM. I am guessing you may mean 0.5GB RAM.

If you do not know the character or have trust in them, you would have been better buying the DVD directly from the LL website.

Here is the link for tutorial to fix your kb settings

The box on the left is the default setting you can edit this in your "profile" tab at the top of the page.

What are the errors produced when trying to do updates in LL2.6, you have only specified the errors produced when trying to upgrade to LL2.8
LL2.8 is not the latest, the latest is LL 3.2

The terminal commands you specified look to be incorrect, it should read -

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install lite-upgrade-series2 -y

Hello btnpcs,yes I should have said 1/2 GB of RAM.

I did try buying direct from the linux lite site but was denied access because I had an adblocker installed & was'nt sure at that stage how to disable it.I shall try your tutorial later thanks.

The errors I get are on "Install updates": "could'nt fetch the package cache information lists."
& on Lite upgrade": "Upgrade canceled."

I tried typing your commands directly into the terminal as "sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install lite-upgrade-series2.8" & it then asks for my password but makes it impossible for me to type it!

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 01:30:06 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

Greetings...

Your system isn't too bad with some minimal upgrades - Looks like you have a PN121AA - HP Media Center m1180.uk Photosmart PC??
Which I got from your post
" Linuxlite@linuxlite-PN121AA-ABU-mll80-uk:$" What the hell am I supposed to do then?
Its specs here: https://h10057.www1.hp.com/ecomcat/hpcatalog/specs/provisioner/05/PN121AA.htm
Shows 512mb ram upgrade-able to 4gb.. The 512 default may also be sharing some with the video card thus showing less system system ram. Not saying you have to max it out but 2gb would be a world of difference.

Bitsnpcs post will help with the keyboard errors...

Again following Jerry's suggestion there could many ifs where you may want to start fresh...

I think you're on the right track ... 8)
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 01:16:32 PM »

Learning

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core QL-65

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: RS780MC Mobility Radeon HD 3100
Why did you buy it at all? I just downloaded and burned the image to a cd and installed on my laptop, no problem, no quirks. I have been running this distro for about two weeks now: to the point that it is very close to becoming my primary tool despite the fact that I am surrounded by laptops that are running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and Windows XP. (I erased the Vista to put in LL...).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:18:20 PM by Learning »

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 08:48:51 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

I'm reluctant to support non-official DVD media since any number of alterations could have been made to it. If you didn't get it from our website on official media, there can be countless unknowns concerning the DVD.

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 07:17:04 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello,

the minimum specifications are 512MB of RAM, 0.5MB is not enough RAM. I am guessing you may mean 0.5GB RAM.

If you do not know the character or have trust in them, you would have been better buying the DVD directly from the LL website.

Here is the link for tutorial to fix your kb settings

The box on the left is the default setting you can edit this in your "profile" tab at the top of the page.

What are the errors produced when trying to do updates in LL2.6, you have only specified the errors produced when trying to upgrade to LL2.8
LL2.8 is not the latest, the latest is LL 3.2

The terminal commands you specified look to be incorrect, it should read -

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install lite-upgrade-series2 -y

Trying to get an operating system that works.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 06:12:42 AM »

SICKOFLINUX

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hello People,a little bit of background:On the demise of Windows XP I switched to LUBUNTU 12.04 until that became inoperable & then "upgraded" to UBUNTU 14.something then 16.something each becoming increasingly inoperable with every update taken onboard it seemed until I decided that the lack of RAM might be the problem (this computer has .5 MB so hence the attempt to install Linux Lite).

Now to the present situation: I bought a Linux Lite DVD off a character on ebay (having given up in despair at using any other option for various reasons). It seems official & is for Linux Lite 2.6 so it says on the actual DVD & after a fashion managed to install the operating system but it won't allow updates or to be upgraded through the operating systems own facilities so thought I would try the command line terminal thing which it says is a simple way to upgrade just type "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install lite-upgrade.series 2.8" (that being the most sensible option it seemed to me to get the latest one despite the previous attempt to install via the onboard application which only gave me the option to upgrade to 2.4? All a bit odd).Anyway on typing that command line it runs through a process I type in my password & it buzzes away a bit more & then comes to a standstill at " Linuxlite@linuxlite-PN121AA-ABU-mll80-uk:$" What the hell am I supposed to do then?

& while I have got your attention if somebody could explain why my keyboard continues to type " when I want @ & vica verser despite my making sure that the keyboard I use is English (UK) in the settings facility that would be very nice.

PS: I see in the box to the left I am apparently using Linux Lite 3.2.I certainly did'nt input that.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 06:20:05 AM by SICKOFLINUX »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section