You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Replacin g Linux Mint with Lite

Author (Read 3342 times)

Re: Replacin g Linux Mint with Lite
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 07:09:47 PM »

moresij

Many thanks to gold_finger.  The reply was dead on the money.  Worked like a charm.  :)

Re: Replacin g Linux Mint with Lite
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 05:29:03 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Your best bet is to use the "Something else" option and manually set the partition(s) to use for LL.  If you've just got a standard Mint installation, you probably only have a root and a swap partition.  Based on what you stated above regarding Windows partitions and my assumption of just a standard Mint install, you probably have Mint's root as /dev/sda5 and swap as /dev/sda6, both of which are within extended partition /dev/sda4.  Using that as an example, all you need to do on the partitioning page is:

*  choose /dev/sda5 and click "Change" button
*  Size = leave same as it already is
*  Use as = Ext4 file system
*  Mount Point = "/" for root
*  Check box to format the partition
*  Near bottom of window, "Device for boot loader installation" = /dev/sda.

No need to do anything with swap partition or extended partition.  Installer will see and use swap automatically.

P.s.  If you're not sure which partition is currently Mint's root partition, log into Mint, open a terminal and enter this command:
Code: [Select]
lsblk
Then just look under the "MOUNTPOINT" column to see which partition has "/" next to it.  If that shows something different than my example, substitute your correct partition in place of my /dev/sda5 example.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 05:32:57 PM by gold_finger »
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

Replacin g Linux Mint with Lite
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 03:48:56 PM »

moresij

Which choice in the installer will replace Linux Mint with Linux Lite and leave Windows on /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2 & /dev/sda3?  The installer say if you put Lite on it could erase all OS including windows.  I am confused!

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section