You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Regarding upgrade from Linuxlite2.8 to Linuxlite3.

Author (Read 2806 times)

Re: Regarding upgrade from Linuxlite2.8 to Linuxlite3.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 01:52:08 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

With all its faults, to ME, getting around in Ubuntu seems easier than getting around in Debian - less of a 'learning curve'. Since the primary focus is former users of Windows XP, using Ubuntu just seems to make more sense. Only Jerry, and those around LL from the very beginning, know ALL the reasons behind the choices made back then.

At one time, Linux Lite used to have an IRC channel. However, there were many people who 'hung out' here (and still do), just waiting to help folks.

This helped to prove that there simply wasn't a need to keep an IRC channel going any more. These days, answers start to pour in within a few hours at most, and they help FAR more people than they would by their just flowing across an IRC channel. I refer back to solutions that were offered here all the time!

For the full explanation, click the following: https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/on-topic/irc-support-closed/

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 02:00:25 AM by N4RPS »

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 01:27:06 AM »

rohitkumarav

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53GHz Architecture:

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller Sound Card:
I completely agree with you N4RPS,

I indeed kind of don't like Ubuntu's frequent updates with each new version release. I prefer or would wish, LinuxLite take Debian as its core than Ubuntu. That would be more a direct and more different stable route. This Ubuntu releases actually irks many people. And just it keeps loading hell lot of things.

I wish future of Linuxlite be something it's own variant. Since it got more potential considering the way it working so far.  I wish i could use more IRC too. But it's possible with developers involved more here.

Thanks for your input.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 07:54:53 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Welcome to the Linux Lite user forums.

It's not a matter of Jerry not WANTING to do it. It's more like it CAN'T be done, even if he DID want to. Even being able to upgrade WITHIN a point series was a major accomplishment in itself for LL. Very few other distros, if any, can upgrade as seamlessly as LL can within a series.

Let's try upgrading from Ubuntu 15.04 to 15.10, as an example. Chances are, it'll work, but it's also roughly 50-50 odds that trying to upgrade will also totally trash your setup. Even Windows recommends a new install, as opposed to trying to upgrade what you have - let's say, 7 to 8.

The reason it is NOT possible to upgrade across point versions is because so many changes would be required, it's just plain easier to upgrade to the 3.X series as a new install. It's like trying to make minor changes in a car's trim to make one year's model into the next year's model, when that model was completely redesigned from the ground up...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 10:23:18 AM »

rohitkumarav

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller Sound Card:
So bad :(

I wanted a 64bit version, and luckily I got a DVD from friend who got Linuxlite2.8. I checked and linuxlite2.8 is based on Ubuntu 14.04. And I wished to use Linuxlite3 which is based on Ubuntu's new version 16 . And there are so many softwares still unable to install in linuxlite. And even my adobe player isn't installed. And I couldn't find the software center or synaptic manager do it :(

Humble request to the developers to get us able to upgrade to newer version. Since it looks cool..
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:25:04 AM by rohitkumarav »

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 10:09:55 AM »

Ottawagrant

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Duo Core 2 E8400 @ 3.00GHz

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43
Linux Lite 3.0 is a new series. Sorry to tell you that you cannot upgrade from any of the 2.x Linux Lite's to 3.0. You have to do a fresh install. It's not all bad news. Linux Lite 2.8 will be supported until April, 2019. So you don't have to upgrade if you don't want to. I would tell you that if your computer is running well, & you're happy with 2.8, stay with it. But you do have a choice, no rush.

Regarding upgrade from Linuxlite2.8 to Linuxlite3.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 09:29:10 AM »

rohitkumarav

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Unable to update my newly installed linuxlite2.8 to 3.

it shows it's already new version when I give this command

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install lite-upgrade-series2 -y

Even I am not able to get adobe installed. I can't open Software center to install adobe or any other software I can't search in Synaptic package manager :(

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:10:58 AM by rohitkumarav »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section