You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Problem with clean install

Author (Read 6452 times)

Re: Problem with clean install
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 09:57:42 PM »

shengchieh

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tux's Links
You could also try once making a liveUSB LL2.   Be sure to study the BIOS carefully.  While on vacation at my brother's house, I noticed I needed to change boot order AND allow external
devices.   For awhile it was booting window until I allowed external devices.

Sheng-Chieh

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 09:46:11 AM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
Should I use FDISK and just delete the PRIMARY partion then leave it with no partions defined first? I think that would cause it to look for an OS on the CD

That's certainly worth a try. Of course, this carries the commmon caution, make sure to backup anything on the partition you need before deleting it. :)

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 08:17:53 PM »

yourbestITguy

I have verified it should be booting into the CD first and the problem persists. Should I use FDISK and just delete the PRIMARY partion then leave it with no partions defined first? I think that would cause it to look for an OS on the CD, though it should already be doing that?

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 03:32:45 PM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
Hi yourbestITguy,

No matter what when I put it in the CD drive and try to boot up to install the OS it hangs on "Starting MS-DOS".

It sounds like the laptop could possibly be trying to boot to the hard drive first. Can you confirm that the boot order in the system bios is set so the DVD is first in the boot order?

Problem with clean install
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 03:05:07 PM »

yourbestITguy

I burned the image to a disk about 6 times trying the 32 and 64 bit versions as an iso file to try to install it on another computer, my laptop. No matter what when I put it in the CD drive and try to boot up to install the OS it hangs on "Starting MS-DOS". I'd used the BurnAware Free program to make a bootable CD and it just had standard DOS commands including fdisk. I used the fsdisk to delete all the partions and created one partition but still to no avail. Any ideas how to fix so I can boot into Linux Lite to install it from the CD?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section