You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

No guest account available on the login screen

Author (Read 8346 times)

Re: No guest account available on the login screen
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 09:56:46 AM »

riser

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks for the hint.
That could be the last resort to do, effectively. I already created a script to re-initialize any user's account.

However I am struggling to understand/googlesearch how to run such a script upon login out for only one user account and not for all user accounts.

Any help would be appreciated.

There are several ways you could do this.

One that comes to mind is to modify the /etc/profile file that is sources each time bash logs in.  You could create a section that looks to see if the user id is the guest id, and if so runs whatever you need it to.

Otherwise, you could look into running a script using lightdm conf (/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf) and have the script only execute if the user id is the guest id.

Either way, the script should be owned by a restricted user so the guest user can not modify/disable it.

riser

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 11:32:54 PM »

vdquynh

Thanks for the hint.
That could be the last resort to do, effectively. I already created a script to re-initialize any user's account.

However I am struggling to understand/googlesearch how to run such a script upon login out for only one user account and not for all user accounts.

Any help would be appreciated.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 01:40:55 PM »

riser

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
You should be able to accomplish this using the following steps (not actually tried it):
  • Create a regular limited user whose home directory is under /home
  • Create a script that clears everything in the user's home directory
  • Run the script on OS boot (/etc/init.d/...)
  • Run the script on user logout

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 01:24:45 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x

I am actually looking to give login access, from the login screen, to the guest account that has no home directory under /home and of which all settings are automatically removed after log-out, so that the next user who would be using that guest account would start with a fresh account setting.

Is that possible ?

I'm not sure, it's not something I have ever tried to do.

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 03:53:23 AM »

vdquynh

Hi,

Thanks for having taken the time to answer.

Adding a user is not what I am looking for. I could create  e.g. a user account named "visitor", setting that account for autologin without password asking and then see the two accounts on the login screen, but that's not all my purpose :

I am actually looking to give login access, from the login screen, to the guest account that has no home directory under /home and of which all settings are automatically removed after log-out, so that the next user who would be using that guest account would start with a fresh account setting.

Is that possible ?

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 02:24:41 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Use this - https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#adduser as a guide. Newly created users are limited by default, like guests. You will need to revert the file you changed back to what it was.

No guest account available on the login screen
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 01:42:28 AM »

vdquynh

Hi,

I just made a fresh install of Linux Lite 2.0. I kept everything as default, with Linux Lite user's name = linuxlite.
I have tried adding a guest account like it is available in default installation of Ubuntu. After some search I finished by editing the file /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/40-lightdm-webkit-greeter.conf and changed the last line "allow-guest=false" to "allow-guest=true", so that the content of the file is as follows:

[SeatDefaults]
greeter-session=lightdm-webkit-greeter
user-session=xfce
autologin-user=linux
allow-guest=true

I saved the file and restarted the PC. However at the login screen I could not choose the guest account as only the linuxlite account is available for logging in.

How is it possible to have at the login screen the choice between the linuxlite default user account and the guest account?

Thanks.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section