Re: Live boot from USB fails
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 08:45:15 AM »

DLX

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Knows sod all
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 16Gb
Worked thanks don't know get this error not very smooth.
Note to self list to get fixed 1 by 1
Read how to make LL secure.
See what else Linux Lite can do.
I think X kill is cool :)

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 03:34:50 PM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
"vesamenu.c32: not a COM32R image"
When you see that try hitting the Tab key, should bring up some options, try selecting 'Live' & hit enter.

Cool I'll give that ago

Just typing the word live & hitting Enter seems to get it going if that message appears, the Tab key brings up some other options but I've not tried any of them.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 03:36:25 PM by JmaCWQ »

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 12:38:42 PM »

DLX

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Knows sod all
    • View Profile

When you see that try hitting the Tab key, should bring up some options, try selecting 'Live' & hit enter.

Cool I'll give that ago
Note to self list to get fixed 1 by 1
Read how to make LL secure.
See what else Linux Lite can do.
I think X kill is cool :)

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 04:48:36 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello, torreydale![/size]Thanks for the share on alternatives for resource-challenged machines. I'll have to take a fresh look at some of them, as i haven't tried some of them before.I've found that the lighter the OS, the more it deviates from what we're used to in the Debian/Ubuntu world, and the steeper the learning curve require to adapt to their unique ways of doing things.
Take Puppy, as an example. I tried that, but I found its package manager to be too different from the 'norm' to allow me to incorporate some of the programs I need to be able to run here, and didn't want to get involved with having to re-create my own packages.

Yes, the less RAM you have, the more swap you need. W
[/size]hen you go under 768 MB of RAM, you'd also have to consider using ZRAM.The guy who put the following together has some excellent tips - not just for Xubuntu 16.04, but for other flavors and versions as well:https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/first-[/font][/color][/size][/size][/font][/size]xubuntu[/color]
[/size]73 DE N4RPSRob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 11:17:48 AM »

Le000

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3540 @ 2.16GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Open GL
I'm using this:

64bit:
Terminal Command:

sudo dd if=linux-lite-3.0-64bit.iso of=/dev/sdx bs=4M

Change the x in sdx to match the letter of your USB device.

Always work.

This was the only way worked for me...I've tried several ways including Unetbootin and Lili and no luck on LL3.0.....only dd worked.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 07:52:38 PM »

openmind

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel 80686

• MEMORY: 512mb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia
A hearty thanks to everyone who offered assistance on this problem.  At long last, I can report results of a considerable amount of experimentation and troubleshooting that might be useful to the broader Linux Lite community.  I acted on torrydale's suggestion to try installing LL2.6 and then upgrading to LL2.8 and found that both LL2.6 did run the installer from a 2GB USB stick prepared using usb-creator-gtk as recommended by the LL developers on the LL download web page.  It ran, however, with a constant complaint that it could not read HDD sectors 0-7 in cylinder 0.  This led to canceling the install attempt and performing more thorough diagnostics on the HDD (the Dell HD diagnostic diskette ran the seek test for 30 minutes without errors so I aborted it assuming it was fine).  Letting it run to completion and then performing the read and write tests indicated severe HDD failures.  Eventually I ran the Western Digital HDD utility on it and essentially it had to be reinitialized.  After getting the HDD to work, LL2.6 installed successfully but would not complete the update process without failing to update the package index.  Many repeated but failed attempts to get it to succeed led me to download LL2.8 to see if that would install and it did!  However, it would not complete the update procedure either with the same error as the previous release.  Today I rewrote the LL3.0 iso to the 2GB USB stick that would not work before (remember all those dots?) and this time it worked after applying JmaCWQ's suggestion to hit 'tab' and the type "live" at the boot: prompt.  Apparently, the different kernels respond differently when encountering HDD read errors.

A couple of comments about the LL ubiquity installer: The default swap partition with only 512MB RAM is only 512MB in size.  When one has only 512MB RAM (the minimum recommended), the installer should provide at least a GB of swap so the kernel doesn't panic due to memory starvation (the need for swap is not as great if one has a couple of GB of RAM).  Secondly, the partition tool (gparted w/LL2.8) crashed twice trying to shrink a 20GB FAT32 partition to 5 GB (after reducing used  storage to 3 GB and defragging it twice).  It left the FAT32 filesystem in a corrupted state that took a lot of work to recover.  Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.  I ended up preparing the partitions using PartedMagic running from a CD.

Again, thanks to everyone who contributed.  I have posted my HW configuration in the LiteOS database.  This post was prepared using LL3.0 running on a Dell 4100 having a Pentium III w/512MB RAM and a 12GB ext4 filesystem.  So far it's working fine.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 05:06:18 PM »

Richard B

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 5.x
Good for you, Openmind, for trying to keep old hardware running. I do the same. Sometimes putting the hard drive in another computer to do the install will work. On the other hand, you could get better performance and save power costs by swapping to a Raspberry Pi!
Desktop: Running LL5 on second HD in ACEPC model MK1: "Mini PC 4GB RAM 64GB ROM Windows 10 Celeron J3455 Processor Mini Computer Dual HDMI, Support mSATA / 2.5 inches SSD/HDD 4K, Dual Band WiFi, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0". Don't normally use the supplied W10. Also use LL on netbook (Using xrandr to "expand" the screen) and various old laptops. NAS drive and web server hosted by Raspberry Pi's.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 01:21:43 PM »

vasi

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD

• VIDEO CARD: 1 Gb
I'm using this:

64bit:
Terminal Command:

sudo dd if=linux-lite-3.0-64bit.iso of=/dev/sdx bs=4M

Change the x in sdx to match the letter of your USB device.

Always work.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 08:38:35 PM »

aus9

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 4 core i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200
Hi

I assumed you tried safe graphics as one the attempts?

if no joy with LL due to the hardware you could try to resurrect it with a distro designed for 486 and higher?
you may like to look at TinycoreLinux

http://tinycorelinux.net/overview.html

1. Minimum System Requirements

CPU-i486DX
    RAM-48Mb
    CD Drive
    Wired Internet Connection
    TinyCore CD

Optional

USB Port
    USB Memory Stick, also known as a USB Pen Drive with a known filename on it; this will help you to identify your stick.
Good Luck

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 07:52:36 PM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 05:24:50 PM »

openmind

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I am very impressed by the responsiveness of this forum as I was impressed with LL3-64 when I ran it off my multiboot usb (on other hardware of course).  Thanks to both of you for responding constructively to the boot failure I'm encountering with these old machines.  I'm not surprised that there may be some problems installing a modern OS on old (ancient?) hardware--just trying to see if I could make these boxes (I have several of them) useful again.  I performed the reconfiguration of the USB thumb drive suggested by firenice03 and now it won't even load the LL3-32 boot menu.  Instead I get "vesamenu.c32: not a COM32R image" repeatedly scrolling every few seconds up my screen interleaved with a 'boot:' prompt.  But it may be that torreydale is correct, I might need to revert to an older LL version or use an OS that specifically targets older hardware.  I will try your suggestions and let you know what happens.  Many thanks again to both of you.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 04:30:08 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

I think you're limited by the hardware.  Only one person in the current Linux Lite Hardware Database is running a Pentium III, and they're on the Linux Lite 2.x series.  Your computer was introduced in 2000, and it is on the edge of Linux Lite's minimum hardware requirements. 

I think it's great you've gotten this far.  I don't think Linux Lite 3.0 is going to install, though.  I do think you'd be well served by either installing the Linux Lite 2.x series, or by using what you've learned so far to attempt installing a distribution focusing on Old Computers.  Consider this list.

P.S.:  If you choose to go with the Linux Lite 2.x series, I would recommend installing version 2.6, not 2.8.  Version 2.6 comes with a different kernel, which may work better with your hardware.  You can always use Lite Upgrade to get to version 2.8 afterwards, but you'll stay on the same kernel that way.  And my hunch is that will be better for you.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:38:38 PM by torreydale »
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 03:49:13 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

Welcome
As mentioned here: https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/release-announcements/linux-lite-3-0-final-released/
Multiboots have some issues, try with a single usb (4gb should be suffice)

Also may want to check the MD5, if not download again...

If you are writing the ISO to a USB on Windows, please use Win32DiskImager - https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
We do not support: Rufus, Yumi and Multiboot.

If you are writing the ISO to a USB on Linux, please use USB Creator:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install usb-creator-gtk

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

Live boot from USB fails
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 03:15:43 PM »

openmind

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Trying to install LL3.0-32 on a Dell Dimension 4100 configured with 512M RAM and 20GB HDD.  Machine has only CD ROM Drive so need to boot from USB so created bootable USB thumb drive using multibootusb.  Dimension 4100 BIOS lacks USB boot option so created plpbt.img 5.0.15 on 3.5" diskette.  Machine boots plop from the diskette and boots the USB image.  After selecting Linux Lite 3.0 32bit and then LL safe mode, the loader finds vmlinuz and initrd.gz and shows dots while loading the files.  After initrd.gz finishes loading, the screen fills with dots that are continually scrolling forever; after watching this for 30 minutes, pressing ESC aborts whatever is happening and provides a boot prompt.  Pressing ENTER at the boot prompt returns to the boot menu.  If regular Start LL is selected instead the system simply hangs after accessing the USB thumb drive for a while--no errors are observed.  Would anyone know what might be causing this behavior and whether or not there are any boot options that might allow proceeding with the install?  Selecting the Integrity Check without the "quiet splash --" options produces the same result (screen full of scrolling dots after loading initrd.gz).

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 7.0 RC1 Released - See Release Announcement Section