You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite and windows install

Author (Read 1667 times)

Re: Linux Lite and windows install
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 11:34:59 AM »

deejay

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Ok, thanks for that. Will look into VM as well.

Re: Linux Lite and windows install
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 05:21:42 AM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
Is it possible to boot LL as usual but have a separate access to Windows just for running old Windows programs and nothing else?

Yes. I assume you are thinking of dual boot though you could investigate running Win10 as a virtual machine.

The usual approach to dual boot is to use Windows to shrink the partition it uses to make space and then install Linux Lite in this space.  You can then manipulate UEFI and grub so that one of the installed OS (LL in your case) boots on a normal start up, but the alternate OS can be booted if required by intercepting the boot manager to select the alternate OS.

As always, backup everything you need before.
clueless

Linux Lite and windows install
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 01:43:21 PM »

deejay

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Please can you advise? I have pc with 3 hard disks (C, D, E). Currently it is setup with Windows 10 on C drive, program installs on D drive and storage etc on E drive. I want to migrate over to Linux Lite (esp. when Win 10 support ends) but keep a Windows system (disconnected from internet). My thinking is C drive for LL and drive D just for Windows programs which are older and not supported by CrossOver or WINE. (Have already checked compatibility). And keep E drive for storing files/folders etc. Is it possible to boot LL as usual but have a separate access to Windows just for running old Windows programs and nothing else? Sorry this is a long winded question but wanted to try and include all deets.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section