You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Installing on a Dell 13-5368 Laptop?

Author (Read 14555 times)

Re: Installing on a Dell 13-5368 Laptop?
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 10:33:29 PM »

PinStripe

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD QUAD 4

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ATI RS780L [Radeon 3000]
Well, I tried Mint on the 5368 and could Not connect to wifi, nor did the trackpad gestures work.
It also would not boot under UEFI with secure boot disabled. This is as far as I got and stopped
messing with it.

I've now downloaded Peppermint and it does work. However, while watching netflix the display
keeps dimming.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 09:55:08 AM »

PinStripe

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Returning to your booting problem with your new UEFI laptop ...

Like you, I had problems dual-booting either LL3.0 or LL3.2 with Win10 (HE & Pro versions) on my UEFI laptop (Asus G750) in Legacy/CSM mode.

Mike

THANK YOU for your reply to this thread!! One of the best responses I've gotten on the LL board.

I like LinuxMint, though I have had numerous glitches with it after time of it being on my pc. (KDE)
But maybe I will try it once again on my new laptop. But I have to say that I have not had many
issues with Linux Lite as I have with numerous other distros. Some distros on the laptop don't even
support trackpad gestures. Crazy in these days!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:00:03 AM by PinStripe »

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 02:56:19 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
Returning to your booting problem with your new UEFI laptop ...

Like you, I had problems dual-booting either LL3.0 or LL3.2 with Win10 (HE & Pro versions) on my UEFI laptop (Asus G750) in Legacy/CSM mode.

I remember previously, having a similar problem dual-booting LL3.x  with Win8.1:  it's notable that I eventually got that setup working in Legacy/CSM mode by removing the SSD, and going back to using an HDD.
I might be mistaken, but my experimentation seemed to suggest that when an SSD is used with a UEFI laptop, it expects UEFI support to come with the Linux distro you want to dual-boot with. 

If you want to dual-boot on a UEFI laptop, with Windows OS, I strongly recommend you try a distribution package that comes with UEFI support. In that regard, you can't go wrong with Linux Mint - it's a mature distribution.
I've found it to work flawlessly on my UEFI laptop, dual-booted with Win10, with UEFI and Secure Boot fully enabled.  I still run LL3.2 on this PC but only as a virtualbox guest on the Linux Mint host. When Jerry has reached a stage where he's ready to officially release LL with UEFI support (if that's the case), then I'll return to dual-booting with LL on this laptop (setup1 in my signature below).

In passing,  I should mention that a  LL3.2 UEFI test build does exist: linux-lite-3.2-uefitest1a-64bit  version, available at http://repo.linuxliteos.com/uefitests/3.2/
I did try dual-booting it  with Win10 on my Asus G750, but didn't have luck with this and details of the problem were reported in post #106 at https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/linux-lite-software-development/uefi-build-test/msg29172/#msg29172

However, some others on that thread seemed to have had more luck than myself - it might be worth you having a go too, before trying something like Linux Mint, etc ...

All the best
Mike
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 06:47:18 AM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 11:56:14 PM »

PinStripe

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Nevermind... that's the thing about smaller distros... you rarely get any good help.

That's completely unfair and an offense to those here who help regularly. You can go on the largest linux distro forum and find unanswered threads. Whether a thread gets answered or not is not related to community size.

Sorry if I offended you... But I have several posts that have not been addressed. So, I feel like I'm wasting my time doing so.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 08:32:19 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Nevermind... that's the thing about smaller distros... you rarely get any good help.

That's completely unfair and an offense to those here who help regularly. You can go on the largest linux distro forum and find unanswered threads. Whether a thread gets answered or not is not related to community size.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 06:08:40 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Good to read you got it worked out. :)

I don't have any experience of dual booting.
A different way is to install LL and virtual box, then install Windows 10 in vb.

"As a solid rock is not shaken by the wind, wise people falter not amidst blame and praise."

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 12:50:22 PM »

PinStripe

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I figured it out on my own.

Disable Secure Boot
Then enable Legacy
Reinstall WinBlows
Then install your favorite Linux distro

Both OS's must be installed in Legacy to get the Grub boot menu to work.

I had WinBlows installed under secure boot and then Linux in Legacy. This will NOT work.

Anyway... I have yet to figure out an easy way of enlarging the LinuxLite theme to a reasonable
size for a 13" laptop. I find you have to set everything up individually... like increase icon size,
then font size, then panel and so on... What a headache!!

Installing on a Dell 13-5368 Laptop?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 12:33:40 AM »

PinStripe

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hello,
Just purchased a new Dell 13-5368 laptop and need some help installing LinuxLite along side Win10. When I first booted the live disk and tried
installing, the option of installing along side windows was Not in the list, like it is on a desktop. Why is this?

Anyway, I shut off secure boot and implemented legacy. Then tried booting into Win10 again and it would not unless I hit F12 to go into the bios
boot menu. Is there a way to make the grub boot menu come up instead, so I can choose Win10 or LinuxLite?

Also, after booting to the live edition of LinuxLite on this 13" laptop... everything is so TINY!! What can I do to make the entire OS larger (fonts and
icons)? Win10 looks good on the laptop. Why not LinuxLite? I tried changing screen resolution, but all that did was shrink the viewable screen to
various sized squares withing the screen. 8-(  Help!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 12:42:16 AM by PinStripe »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section