You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Error while installing updates 3.0

Author (Read 8891 times)

Re: Error while installing updates 3.0
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 09:45:26 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
On your laptop keyboard there should be an Fn key in the lower left corner and a scroll lock in the upper right. Scroll lock and numlock should be on the same key maybe written in different colors, possibly even three functions on the key. Pressing Fn+numlock at the login screen should cure the issue, or Fn+Shift+numlock depending on the model. This is a common issue for Ubuntu. The Fn key is partially programmed in ACPI and though this is a lingering issue on some laptops I doubt that it will ever be addressed on older models now that we have UEFI except of course in Debian's final UEFI solutions yet a bit into the future. Finally, it is caused in ACPI by MS Windows code. Some BIOS versions allowed numbers lock disable while others did not. As I related at the outset, It may be that avoiding ever running or loading wine will magically cure the problem, though I have not tested this. It's all part of the magical land of Wind-OZ Toto. Mark this thread as solved if your issue is cured, as we have covered about all there is to say on this issue. Good luck.

TC   
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2016, 06:28:18 PM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

AS this laptop (V3405) is only being used as a tester for ll 3.0 32 bit ,  i intend to do a fresh install and retrace my steps just in case i inadvertently did something wrong .    when testing the beta version  i seem to remember i got out of trouble something the  updated tweaks.   . will try and do this at th weekend and report back. ttfn

UPDATE:  My other Fuji Laptop (Si1520) has also been running LL3.0 32 bit from release date.  Don't think I updated   after installation and the Lite TWEAKS does not have the number lock option - This appears after update as far as I can remember..   No problems  with Keyboard setting ( FUji Amilo) Option  with number lock unticked.  English UK   Fn key appears to be turned off as  there is  no number/letter problem when typing.  However tried to update this morning and again could not update.  On inspecting Synaptic  the Error  message as mentioned above was present with instruction to go into terminal and run run script.

So this appears to be a "fault"   . Have not run script as I want one laptop to be running OK.

RE Fuji 3405 Fn issue.    Reinstalled LL3.0  32bit . No extra partitions.  During installation specified English UK keyboard and did typing test in "box" provided.  Fn key appeared to locked on as I was getting numbers instead of some letters.  So  went straight away ran the  keyboard identification routine to be sure. i.e typed in required letters and answered questions etc.  Back to test and this time FN appeared to be off and letters appeared when the keys were used.  RESULT - completed installation including typing in password.  Shut down.

Restarted computer -  via auto login -  and tested keyboard Fn lock recurred!!  Checked settings keyboard to make sure English UK was first and number lock was unticked.  No change

Went to LITE TWEAKS  and there was no option for number lock.
Then updated - pressing FN  key for  entering password  and update ran smoothly, although took some time.

Went back to renewed Lite Tweaks  number lock section and tried both on and off without success.  So this Laptop keyboard is not functioning - HOWEVER it was working when installed LL 3.0 32 bit  a day or so after it was finally released.

NOTE  For the V3405 Fuji went into Synaptic /file History and it stated that MAY 16 was the last update ALTHOUGH I had updated this morning??  Update confirmed as Lite Tweaks now contains number lock option whereas it did not upon installation.

ALSO do not appear to have a download folder - error box states configure with blueman services whtever they are.  Not had that before!!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 10:37:42 AM by newtusmaximus »
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2016, 06:26:48 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

I think there are going to be a lot more of these little quirks for Ubuntu based distros, because though I am a bit prejudiced, I feel the release pace Ubuntu has set for their OS is unrealistic, and the last dogs on that chain, the distros based on Ubuntu, and probably all XFCE running distros are going to suffer when it comes to Ubuntu updates, or at least be inconvenienced, because Canonical has obviously set a course with little concern for attrition among those particular partners unable to keep pace, and you can be sure those base admin servers are last on the list for re-addressing, and the free software contract generally allows that capacity for disregard. In my opinion, and this is only an opinion, the trend away from Debian base is going to prove very difficult in the future for some recent all in U based distros. Ubuntu doesn't call itself the Universe and the Multiverse without a business based philosophical reason. Everybody and everything Ubuntu seems to be in too big of hurry these days. Kinda reminds me of MS, especially the deluge of glitchy software.   

TC   
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2016, 05:51:01 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Trinidad, thanks for your input! Highly appreciated :)

And it's very interesting as I never run into this issue before in all my years with Linux and with any LL version before specifically.

I'll have a closer look into this as soon as I got some spare time. As there is an apt-get/aptitude/apt command behind the GUI it will be good to find out the specifics and particularly the difference to the one I used on the CLI.

Jerry, any input on this?

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2016, 04:59:13 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Sounds like that could be it. You should have run update software with the Linux Lite updater from the GUI menu first. Then rebooted. That would have reset the repos correctly in synaptic. The terminal method you used requires you to set the repos without knowing what the right ones are. and pick up some ubuntu kludge in the process. This LL distro is geared to be Windows clickers friendly and terminal dabblers can dig a hole in a hurry. There probably should be a cautionary instruction to that effect in the first login. It's really pretty much the same in Debian, because you really should run updates from the GUI in gnome first before ever choosing the terminal given the tens of thousands of ports available. The terminal is more than happy to let you create a personal franken-debian.

TC

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2016, 04:28:35 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I haven't done a proper root cause analysis yet. Here just a few details of what I can remember...

I installed a 32-bit and 64-bit version the last couple of days, both showing this error. Including the message newtusmaximus reported.
  • 32-bit was installation via USB-stick (created by Unetbootin), 64-bit was installation via the ISO booted directly via GRUB2
  • both installations I chose "something else" in regard to partitions
  • directly after reboot I opened up a terminal and run "apt update && apt upgrade"
  • to solve the error messages I did:
    a) dpkg --configure -a
    b) apt-get -f install
    c) edited the linuxlitos repository to replace xenial by citrine

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 04:08:30 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Don't know what to tell you. I was only wondering if you used a workaround to begin with like disabling numbers lock in the bios, that perhaps needed to be undone. Default is to have the box checked in LL. Because Fn is a dual purpose key I'm not sure of how to map it from UNIX which would be a better workaround. Used to be able to hit Control #.

TC

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 03:26:43 PM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

Trinidad Thanks. 

Have tried  Keyboard set up for various types (Amilo, 102 Int, 105 Int ) with number lock unticked in settings and rebooted each time without result.  Then tried TWEAKS  number lock options, rebooting between each one . No improvement.  Have to type now with Fn key permanently depressed ( as I am at th moment) :) .

On the positive side,  having carries out  Synaptic instruction - see above - and pressing the Fn key for password to compensate or he keyboard problem, i got the system to update.  however still have Fn problem

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 03:52:45 PM by newtusmaximus »
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 02:27:20 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Try checking the numbers lock box and reboot. I'm not sure, but it's possible your particular keyboard map bug may have been updated and fixed.

TC   

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 01:50:44 PM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

Trinidad

ran your suggestion and got this on synaptic screen

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

also somehow my Fn key has become locked on.  i am getting numbers instead of letters unless i depress while typing.  Again this was not happening when I originally installed 32 bit with standard kernel.

Not sure what I have done??  Strange

keyboard settings unchanged from first setup -  Fuitsu amilo   Numbers lock on restart unticked  Language English (UK) 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 02:10:57 PM by newtusmaximus »

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 11:51:47 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

A question too bobw.

What was your install praxis/ i/e dvd, usb, or dd?
Also is your LL native HDD or virtual?

TC

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 11:42:39 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Open synaptic >File>History>Month>highlight date entry to show full info on packages.

TC

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 11:11:07 AM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

Just come back to a laptop (Fuji Amilo Pro 3405) that has not been used for some time since installing LL3.0   I too am having problems getting updates.  Only addition from default set up is Chromium browser.  From memory when I installed I ran update straight afterwards without problems.  Is there a way t check what the last update session was on the machine?  i.e to check facts re update success previously?

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 10:56:57 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Just a guess here, but I wonder if you have been playing windows games on steam through wine. This can cause all kinds of update confusion with repos on a running sys since wine does not exit but seeks updates in the background if you have started a game even though you have quit steam. You should always use the linux client in steam to avoid problems. Windows games update keys are proprietary unless listed as free under linux, and wine is not always (rarely) up to date with steam. Uninstall wine and reboot and see if the repos clean up in update, though it may be too late for this fix now. Update should always be run before you do anything in wine, preferably immediately after login. I have heard of ubuntu based distros reverting from OS repos back to unbuntu because of this issue messing up the GUI's pretty good in some cases.

On another note I have had no problems with LL 3.0 64 bit on any of the several boxes I installed it on for others, and on my personal version I have installed dconf and done some some debian tweaks on synaptic enabling me to deal with several backports and ppa's wihtout a hitch so it is well tortured but still remains unbroken.

TC 

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 12:36:55 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Hey Jerry,

May I ask what the official/ Devs' take is on this?

I run into this too while installing LL3.0 64-bit.

It's not that easy to pin point. I've been using 64bit since we started supporting it and never ran across this issue.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section