You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Dual boot w/Win7...Help removing Xubuntu to install Linux Lite 2.0

Author (Read 3189 times)

Re: Dual boot w/Win7...Help removing Xubuntu to install Linux Lite 2.0
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 09:12:30 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Regardless of what you plan to do to your current setup, BACK IT UP FIRST, then go check out one of gold_finger's excellent tutorials.

I use Redo Backup on LiveCD/USB to do this. There are other fine ones out there, but Redo backs up the ENTIRE drive structure, compresses it, and is easy to use...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

Re: Dual boot w/Win7...Help removing Xubuntu to install Linux Lite 2.0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:19:25 AM »

sonic

First off all, watch this video and read this section (Something Else NOTE: FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY) from the Installation Guide.

Basically you have to delete the partition that contains Xubuntu and start from there to manage the other partitions. I hope I helped because I'm not an expert at this.

Dual boot w/Win7...Help removing Xubuntu to install Linux Lite 2.0
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 11:44:24 PM »

modeltweaker

My laptop is dual boot with Win7 and Xubuntu. I would like to remove Xubuntu and install LL2. Not sure what to do. I don't want to mess up the Win7 system as my daughter needs Office and Photoshop for school.

When I installed Xubuntu I had 30gb free in Win7. I told the Xubuntu installer to use 12gb. When it finished Win7 had 8gb free and it used 22gb. Win7 is now a pain with very little free space. So...Could I allocate less space for Linux Lite and grow the Win7 partition a little? Is there a way to uninstall Xubuntu? What happens to the boot loader in all these changes?

My drive layout is below. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

sda1     ntfs          47.2    win7    Boot
sda3     extended  22.2
sda7     ext4          11.0    Xubuntu
sda5     ext4          9.2      Xubuntu
sda6     linux-swap2.0
sda2     fat32         5.0      IBM diagnostic

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section