You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Dell D430

Author (Read 6413 times)

Re: Dell D430
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 12:55:40 PM »

pelouk

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
rokytnji, you make me feel like the complete noob that I am!!

Linux Lite is my first venture into the world of "Goodbye Windows! and it's great to be able to get help from folks like yourself.

And, that tip on:- "......Look around for a broke laptop (screen busted) but internal specs are SSD.
That is how I got the Apple SSD for 5 bucks."
.  Well, that would just never have occurred to me. I'm off to have a browse around fleabay.

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 02:14:22 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Might think about swapping out the existing 80Gb HDD for a SSD

I did that on the Dell XT2, Compaq CQ57, and my 2 M&A companion netbooks.
Best purchase I ever made. Boots fast. Runs fast. Just one example from one of my single core Atom Netbooks.

http://forum.salixos.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6131

That is with a Slackware based distro though.  I run Linux-Lite on the Compaq CQ57 also that is dual core, 4gig ram, 180 gig Apple SSD>(came out of a Apple laptop)

I'll give you a hint if you want when looking for a SSD. Look around for a broke laptop (screen busted) but internal specs are SSD.
That is how I got the Apple SSD for 5 bucks.
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 01:47:42 PM »

pelouk

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
OK.  Had a quick look and the D430 is showing 2Gb RAM. I've spent the past couple of hours mooching around various forums and other sources to see whether I could boost that up to, say, 4Gb but opinion varies greatly.  The general consensus seems to be that this isn't feasible. I have to say that I'm not tech-savvy enough to argue with that and , to be honest, I'm not much fussed about it (though I'd still be interested to know if anyone here has actually achieved it). My ancient, steam-driven Medion just whizzes along on 2Gb when I boot into LL, so I'd settle for that for the Dell too I reckon. Might think about swapping out the existing 80Gb HDD for a SSD and see what difference that makes.  I'll report back when I've had a crack at it.

Interesting couple of links you gave there, rokytnji. Much obliged.

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 12:37:19 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Well, mine is newer than yours. You can read about here.

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php?topic=721.0

If I had your 420. I'd buy a can of air and blow it out (dust bunnies). Run my cd disk cleaner through the drive.
Then give a linux lite live session a whirl to find out.
It would be nice if you posted how much ram is in that 420. I know another Linux user from Tennessee who runs one of those models.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/laptops-netbooks-minibooks/202436-dell-d420-ram-question.html
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 05:22:42 AM »

pelouk

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks my friend. A sensible suggestion and one I have previously put to the test. Tried it on my old Medion laptop and - except for a couple of minor glitches - I eventually got it going well and installed it.

Conversely, I tried the same tactic on an HP Pavillion desktop and I just couldn't get LL to run well.

I was simply curious if anyone had put LL on a D430 since I've found an old one gathering dust in a cupboard and thought I'd try and revive it.

P.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 10:56:40 PM »

shengchieh

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tux's Links
Can't answer your specific question - maybe someone else.  But ...

When I distro-hop to find an more update linux distro, I stick with liveCDs (and LL iso is live).  I pop the liveCD + boot and see if everything work.   I recommend you boot the LL iso - do
NOT install - and mess around with LL.  See if it recognizes all your peripherals and whether you like LL.   If it recognizes everything, chances are high, the LL install will too.  If not, shut
down, remove the liveCD and move on.

Sheng-Chieh

Dell D430
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 01:56:13 PM »

pelouk

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi All.

Has anyone had good (or not) results installing LL to a Dell D430 laptop?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section