You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

bring home to new 2.2

Author (Read 4575 times)

Re: bring home to new 2.2
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 07:45:03 AM »

iwar

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
To reinstall and let home /sdb1 be unformatted did not go well, same prob followes.

so i made a new partion sda2 and copy what a wanted from sdb after install finnish, I run now my LL 2.2 in english until Jerry fix the language prob   

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 11:06:51 AM »

iwar

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
sorry if i confused you! Gold_finger
maybe its my bad English.
Jerry is working on 100 files, we foreigners had prob with additional program  and i only say i vill wait to his finish than I
install a new 2.2 without formating hdb.  Thank you for talking to me

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 07:00:49 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
iwar,

Please specify who you are directing the question to?

You've responded a couple of times now indicating that you've been in contact with Jerry, but none of that appears to be happening within this thread.  So I don't know anymore whether your questions are directed to me or Jerry.

If directed at me -- I don't know what you are asking.   Please re-read my last post and tell me whether or not you still have a separate drive partition that contains your LL 1.06 Home?  If you do not, tell me if you have a copy of it somewhere that you can use to restore your data to the new LL 2.2 installation?
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 04:19:38 AM »

iwar

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
hi
yes i saw the disk that had ll 1.06 / had a lot of free space and i have run that quiet som time at least a year
there is a lot of space free on /dev/sda if i follow your example what do you think, do a logical of rest and mountit as? /usr or   

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 05:58:52 PM »

iwar

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Yes this is how it will be:

From what you said, I think easiest thing to do would be install again.  But this time, choose "Something else" option during installation and designate all three partitions.  If /dev/sdb1 was the old 1.06 home and it still has your files on it, then make sure you set the mount point ("/home") and file system type (whatever you used before - probably "ext4"), but make sure you do not format the partition.  If you format it, it will get wiped out.  If you don't, your data will stay there and be ready to use when you boot the machine after installation.
 Thanks But i wait to Jerry is finish whith the 100 files :-)

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 04:14:03 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Do you have a copy of the old LL 1.06 home?  Is that what is on /dev/sdb1 right now, or is that lost?  Or do you have it copied off to something else like a USB stick?

From what you said, I think easiest thing to do would be install again.  But this time, choose "Something else" option during installation and designate all three partitions.  If /dev/sdb1 was the old 1.06 home and it still has your files on it, then make sure you set the mount point ("/home") and file system type (whatever you used before - probably "ext4"), but make sure you do not format the partition.  If you format it, it will get wiped out.  If you don't, your data will stay there and be ready to use when you boot the machine after installation.

If /dev/sdb1 does not currently have your old home data on it, then do same as above and DO format the partition.  After install is done, if you have a backup copy of your old /home, you can copy what you need over to the new /home.

A fresh installation will get everything working as it should to start with and will probably easier and faster than trying to fix what you have now.

P.s. If you decide to install again, you might want to use GParted before installing to re-make the partitions on /dev/sda.  A root partition of 196GB is way bigger than you need.  Probably best to just make two "Primary" partitions on /dev/sda  (Swap does not have to be a "logical" partition as it is now):

Root partition -- 25GB -- format = Ext4
Swap partition -- 1-2 times RAM  -- format = linux-swap

You should leave /dev/sdb1 the way you have it now.  (Don't use GParted to do anything with it.)  If is does contain your 1.06 data, just don't format it during installation.  If it does not contain the old data, then format it during installation steps.

You will have extra space left over on /dev/sda that you can use for other things at a later date if necessary.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 04:27:13 PM by gold_finger »

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 12:54:22 PM »

iwar

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi and thanks!
Did you designate /dev/sdb1 as /home during the new installation, or did you add it afterwards? I add it afterwards and saved a copy of the new home in /temp "misstake 1" so now itś gone

Are you having problems accessing some of the files on /home?
no so big the menu is from 1.06 and desktop img is gone, so things seems to be a little messed up! so I think i do a new install when Jerry is finnshed with the addiditonal prob

Are some of your programs not working correctly, or as expected?  If so, which ones do you have problems with?
Report to moderator   Logged
no the prog work ok!

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 11:42:45 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Ok, so you now have only LL 2.2 installed and have re-used the old /home partition which is on the 160GB drive, /dev/sdb1.  Currently you have:

Root -- /dev/sda1 -- 196GB
Swap -- /dev/sda5 -- 4GB+
Home -- /dev/sdb1 -- 160GB

What are some examples of things that are "not completely well"?

Did you designate /dev/sdb1 as /home during the new installation, or did you add it afterwards?

Are you having problems accessing some of the files on /home?

Are some of your programs not working correctly, or as expected?  If so, which ones do you have problems with?

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 06:30:41 AM »

iwar

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
"Are you trying to replace 1.06 with 2.2 and re-use the old /home that is currently on its own partition?"

yes thats it,  but i already done it i mounted sdb at /home itś not completly vell but it works, ex (no desktop picture)
my output is:

Model: ATA SAMSUNG SP2004C (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 200GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End    Size    Type      File system     Flags
 1      1049kB  196GB  196GB   primary   ext4            boot
 2      196GB   200GB  4293MB  extended
 5      196GB   200GB  4293MB  logical   linux-swap(v1)

Model: ATA ST9160821AS (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 160GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
 1      32,3kB  160GB  160GB  primary  ext4

Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system).  /dev/sr0
has been opened read-only.
Error: /dev/sr0: unrecognised disk label

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 08:03:31 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Sorry iwar,

I'm not really sure what you are asking.

Are you trying to replace 1.06 with 2.2 and re-use the old /home that is currently on its own partition?

Or, do you want to share the same /home with both 1.06 and 2.2?

Or, do you just want to know if accessing files on the 1.06 /home is okay to do from the 2.2 installation?

Do you already have 2.2 installed to the second hard drive, or are you asking for advice before you install?

It might also help to see what your current partition setup looks like.  Boot into either Linux Lite installation (if you have both installed already), open a terminal and enter this command:

Code: [Select]
sudo parted -l(Last character is a lowercase letter "L", not the number 1.)

Copy full output of command and paste it back here to forum for us to see along with your answers to questions above.

bring home to new 2.2
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 02:59:23 PM »

iwar

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi

I have home on a hd by it self on  a LL 1.06 can i just mount it under /home in my 2.2  who is in one new disk? wanna be sure itś ok.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section