You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

[SOLVED] Upgrading to LL2.0+

Author (Read 3372 times)

Re: Upgrading to LL2.0+
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 09:09:55 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

If you have an external or network HD to back up to, you can use Redo Backup to back up the entire drive. That way, if it gets messed up, it'll be VERY easy to get it back to the way it was to begin with.

Using Redo Backup, I can back up a 250GB SSD to a USB 3.0 external HD in under an hour, and restore it in 15 minutes...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 04:16:55 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
I have read other posts on here about how to do it and it is just too overwhelming to back up my whole computer, format the space where LL is and attempt a re-load.

I feel like if I could just get it up to date to the latest it would fix everything....

Any shortcuts to do this that anyone has found?

There's no good way to "upgrade" from one version to the next.  Best thing to do is a fresh installation over the old one.

As ChrisL stated, it's always a good idea to keep some kind of backup for your important data files at all times -- whether you're installing/upgrading OS's or not (and whether or not you end up using just Windows or both OS's).  If something ever happens to the hard drive you'll be glad you have stuff backed up.  Backups can be something as simple as copying/pasting your data off to a USB stick, or external drive; or you can do a full clone of the drive if you've got a spare of equal or greater size.

If you go slow and pay attention to what you're doing you shouldn't have to worry about anything getting damaged on the Windows side of computer.  If you post back with info requested below, we can guide you through doing the new install pretty easily.  (You'll be surprised at how easy it is to do.   :) )

Boot into LL and open a terminal.  Enter these two commands one a time (they show us your partitioning):
Code: [Select]
lsblk
sudo parted -l
(Last character is a lowercase letter "L", not a number 1.)

Copy/Paste full output of both commands back here for us to see.

Do you have important data files on the LL side of the computer?  If "yes" and they are not on their own partition (separated from the Root partition), copy them to a USB stick.  If you have a separate /home partition, then don't worry about it -- we'll just keep that and re-use it during new install, so your data will still be there.

Do you have a Windows recovery disk set made?  If not, do that.  There should be a built-in method for doing that in the Windows menu.  This is something you should do no matter what -- whether you install another version of LL or not.  Somewhere along the line you're bound to need it.

Are you happy with the amount of disk space that you've been using for LL?  Or would you like to change that (allot more or less space for LL)?

Have you installed a lot of extra software to your current LL installation?  If "yes" can you remember what you installed and make a list of the important programs you'll want to add again to the new install?

Do you use Firefox (or a different browser) and/or Thunderbird?  If "yes", you can back both of them up easily by doing the following:
  • Open file manage to your Home folder
  • Go to View -> Show Hidden Files (or just type Ctrl+h)
  • Look for these two folders that begin with a period (.):  ".mozilla" and ".thunderbird"
  • Copy the entire folders and paste them onto your backup USB stick.
  • We'll describe how to restore them to new install later

While waiting for our reply back, download LL 2.2 and make a live DVD or USB.  Boot from it and test out to make sure it works well on your system before we attempt the install.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 04:19:28 PM by gold_finger »
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 12:22:57 PM »

ChrisL

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5

• MEMORY: 8Gb
I have to say that I love Linux Lite....I loaded it on my PC earlier this year with a dual boot with W7 and almost always go directly to LL. It's faster and so much nicer to use.

Now the problem...I have been trying for months to upgrade from 1.06 to the latest with no luck. I am not that computer savvy, so getting it on in the first place was a challenge. Also, when I did an update several months ago, it updated me to 1.08 and now nothing works right. The software Install/uninstall program no longer works, I get an error message and even Chrome that was working fine, is now telling me it's out of date. I have read other posts on here about how to do it and it is just too overwhelming to back up my whole computer, format the space where LL is and attempt a re-load.

I feel like if I could just get it up to date to the latest it would fix everything....at this point, I'm ready to go back to W7 (which I need for some certain softwares i use), but don't want to give up this great SW! If I didn't need W7 for some things I use (Itunes, Garmin, etc.), I'd just overwrite the computer with all LL...but I'm really concerned about doing that. :-\

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Well, I am sure it seems overwhelming, but I am pretty new to Linux and have no problem with doing installs now.  Don't forget you have the support of the great and bright folks on the forum here. You really should have your systems backed up anyway if you have valuable stuff on there anyway, so that process is a good 1st step anyway.  I have to say I have never had an issue where I had to restore due to a install, but I take it carefully step by step so I don't do anything stupid.

You might want to post your machine specs here and see if anyone has any concerns about LL 2.2, and you can create an .iso disc of it and try it live 1st as well.

I am sure when you are done you will be happy with the results and will have learned a few things in the process.

Chris

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 05:29:57 PM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
Hi Steve,

I have been trying for months to upgrade from 1.06 to the latest with no luck.

LL doesn't support upgrading from one version to the next. Instead, try a fresh install and you should be good.

Scott

[SOLVED] Upgrading to LL2.0+
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 05:11:30 PM »

ultrastevep

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I have to say that I love Linux Lite....I loaded it on my PC earlier this year with a dual boot with W7 and almost always go directly to LL. It's faster and so much nicer to use.

Now the problem...I have been trying for months to upgrade from 1.06 to the latest with no luck. I am not that computer savvy, so getting it on in the first place was a challenge. Also, when I did an update several months ago, it updated me to 1.08 and now nothing works right. The software Install/uninstall program no longer works, I get an error message and even Chrome that was working fine, is now telling me it's out of date. I have read other posts on here about how to do it and it is just too overwhelming to back up my whole computer, format the space where LL is and attempt a re-load.

I feel like if I could just get it up to date to the latest it would fix everything....at this point, I'm ready to go back to W7 (which I need for some certain softwares i use), but don't want to give up this great SW! If I didn't need W7 for some things I use (Itunes, Garmin, etc.), I'd just overwrite the computer with all LL...but I'm really concerned about doing that. :-\

Thanks,
Steve
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:24:51 AM by Scott(0) »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section