You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

[SOLVED] Help! I cannot bear Win 8.1 - Installing LL 2.2 on Lenovo U530?

Author (Read 30096 times)

Re: Help! I cannot bear Win 8.1 - Installing LL 2.2 on Lenovo U530?
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2015, 09:07:34 AM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Glad that you got it working .
HP DV7 i7 2670QM 500.1GB 8GB Ram Dual-Boot LL2.4 Beta / Extix 15.1.1 64-bit 
Dell Inspiron 1720 CrunchBang 11

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2015, 09:07:10 AM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Ah just found out , it was the oibaf repo I found on Phoronix years ago ; http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?50038-Updated-and-Optimized-Ubuntu-Free-Graphics-Drivers

I was years with Aptosid , Siduction , stuff like that , so I don t really mind about crashing or stuff like that , usually reinstalled after hours of hell trying & fixing stuff around if things were too bad . But here it s not the same mindset I think even if some are able to fix things ( installs , softwares etc ) if too bad .

Sorry about that op & other people .

Thats ok, I'm still happy for all the help! :D

I think that you re working with your lappy right ! I m not & I don t really mind reinstalling even if it s a pain sometime .

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2015, 02:02:35 AM »

amandasabroad

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • MyBlogMess
No problem, I'm glad I didn't have to switch to anything else, this distro is my favorite :)  Thanks for all your help! Marking this one solved. :D

« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2015, 01:32:55 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
amandasabroad,

Thanks for all the info.  Cleared up some questions I had myself.  I knew that doing the Boot-Repair conversion from a live USB/DVD needed to have the live medium booted in UEFI mode first; but I was not sure if that was necessary from the installed system too.  The Ubuntu page did not specify that from what I could tell.  Now I know for sure thanks to your efforts.

I also suspected that the video was essentially doing the same thing as the Boot-Repair conversion, so was hoping Boot-Repair solution would work when doing from installed LL to give people an easier option for UEFI installs.  Turns out Boot-Repair does work, but not from installed LL -- only if people go through additional hassle of making a live Ubuntu USB.  It's not an ideal solution, but we now know it works if people have a hard time following the video.  So thank you very much for being a trooper and testing all this out.  Really appreciate it!

Regarding graphics errors -- I don't have much experience messing with graphics.  Have been fortunate in never having run into major issues with them myself -- so really only have a basic level of knowledge on that.  Hopefully others here will be able to help with this.  Aside from things you're seeing in dmesg, have you experienced any problems with the graphics performance?  Or have you not really had a chance to fully test things yet?

Probably best to mark this install thread as solved and start a new post for the graphics issue in the graphics section of forum.  People who know more about graphics might not read through the install section, or might not have read this whole thread to see that this is a potential issue now that the install is done.

P.s.  The boot setup should be fine now.  I have read that some computer manufacturers' UEFI implementations are quirky and may automatically revert to Win 8 booting automatically after Win 8 updates sometimes.  So just be aware of that possibility.  Here's a link about that with a fix for it if you end up needing it:  http://www.zdnet.com/article/uefi-and-windows-8-update-on-windowslinux-dual-boot-systems/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:42:12 AM by gold_finger »
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2015, 01:12:38 AM »

amandasabroad

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • MyBlogMess
Ok looks like my dual boot is going to stick! :) Hopefully it stays that way! Thank you all so much for your help.

The Nvidia installed ok (i think), but still seeing errors in dmesg. I'm getting the same error as a few of these posters are on launchpad:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/lpbugreporter/+bug/752542

Output of dmesg:
http://pastebin.com/Vk5kFW6q

Anyways Im happy as long as the boot sticks and nothing catches fire :P

Thanks again everyone!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:22:09 AM by amandasabroad »

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2015, 10:00:27 PM »

amandasabroad

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • MyBlogMess
Ah just found out , it was the oibaf repo I found on Phoronix years ago ; http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?50038-Updated-and-Optimized-Ubuntu-Free-Graphics-Drivers

I was years with Aptosid , Siduction , stuff like that , so I don t really mind about crashing or stuff like that , usually reinstalled after hours of hell trying & fixing stuff around if things were too bad . But here it s not the same mindset I think even if some are able to fix things ( installs , softwares etc ) if too bad .

Thats ok, I'm still happy for all the help! :D

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2015, 09:54:09 PM »

amandasabroad

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • MyBlogMess
gold_finger - On converting LL to UEFI - It was a combination of both  the video and the link you posted in the end. I created a UEFI enabled 14.04 on a USB device which is shaped like a shark. Created the install with the Rufus program you suggested, it was super simple to use (which of course makes it incredibly dangerous if you aren't careful, especially considering some of the advanced options in there!). I just installed to the shark using a 14.04 ISO and checked the UEFI box and voila (a regular usb device would do, as the animal shaped usb wasn't crucial to the process, just highly amusing to me :P ).

BIOS settings were set to allow for both USB and UEFI booting, and the Lenovo booted up just fine with UEFI shark. I downloaded boot-repair while connected on ethernet cable, and played the video you had posted from youtube. That's when I started going "aw, balls." He's got fast hands, and it was a bit hard to follow. But I started up boot-repair, clicked the GRUB Location tab, saw that the checkmark next to "Separate boot/efi partition" was already checked, and that the correct EFI partition was selected in the dropdown. Clicked apply, and suddenly ran into this:

I didn't think anything but one setting would be changed, and after sweating it out for a second, I started playing the youtube vid again. Careful squinting allowed me to see that his commands were essentially the same process as boot-repair's semi-GUI steps were, so I followed the steps, crossed my fingers, and once it was done, I shut it down, booted into the BIOS Menu, and disabled legacy Boot support (allowing only for UEFI, but leaving Secure Boot off).

Worked like a charm booting back up into both :)
 but have not turned it off since :P

Ok going to try and install  Nvidia driver and hope for some more good news (the 2GBs of dedicated Graphics ram & Nvidia card with Integrated Intel graphics is a large part of the reason I bought the computer for my work).

« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2015, 03:51:06 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

To make the story short , I didn t removed the nouveau driver or whatever that I had on my install , it was left there after rethinking about it .

Ok -- thanks for clarifying.  That's pretty much what I thought, but wasn't sure because I've never had to deal with it.  If it were an already existing NVidia driver on the system, then for sure one would need to purge that ahead of time; but not the nouveau driver.

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2015, 03:30:44 PM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
To make the story short , I didn t removed the nouveau driver or whatever that I had on my install , it was left there after rethinking about it .

If it s working as Misko wrote , leave it that way .

I have a AMD card on my lappy & it s not in use right now  .

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2015, 03:27:23 PM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2015, 03:18:43 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@altman -- ok thanks.

@amandasabroad -- one more thing:  personally, I'd recommend not messing with new kernels right now.  Just get graphics sorted out and then as long as all is working well, there's no need to take a chance messing up the EFI boot or other things with a different kernel.

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2015, 03:08:56 PM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
From what I ve read in the forums or whatever it was recommended , I don t know what I ended up doing on my end when I did the xorg-edge ppa , sorry went with it & it s working find for now . & forgot the link to it also .

From what I saw you had to remove it 1st & then add the repo & d-u & so on .

Gee , I never saved the link for future refs .
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 03:13:18 PM by altman »

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2015, 03:04:40 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Ok Update!

As of last night, I've dual booted in UEFI mode Linux and Windows 8.1 on my Lenovo U530, AND the Broadcom site needs an update, because installing the bcmwl-kernel-source package instantly fixed my wireless issue! :)

That's awesome!  Good to see the wireless working -- eliminates what might have been a major headache.

Do you mind me asking -- what method did you end up using to get the conversion to UEFI mode?  The live Ubuntu DVD or by using that video link?

Graphics:  Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau Resolution: [email protected]
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3

Forgive me if this is a dumb question (not really up on latest graphics stuff):  you say you have an NVidia card, but all I see listed here is the integrated Intel graphics.  I thought that systems with dual graphics cards listed both when running the inxi output.  Are you sure there's an NVidea card in there?  If not, then your "FAILED: nouveau" is nothing to worry about.  If you do have a hybrid combo, did you look at this section of the Help Manual?  https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/hardware.html#optimus

Would I need to purge or disable the nouveau drivers first, or is that taken care of during the installation of the nvidia drivers?

I didn't think that was necessary, but I could be wrong.

@altman -- are you absolutely sure on the need to purge nouveau?  Is that something you have had to do with similar setup to this one?

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2015, 02:35:26 PM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Yep , you would need to remove , purge nouveau 1st

It s the ppa I m using for over a week , no problem yet , doesn t mean I wont have any .

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2015, 01:49:07 PM »

amandasabroad

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • MyBlogMess
Would I need to purge or disable the nouveau drivers first, or is that taken care of during the installation of the nvidia drivers?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section