You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

[SOLVED] Help! I cannot bear Win 8.1 - Installing LL 2.2 on Lenovo U530?

Author (Read 30101 times)

Re: Help! I cannot bear Win 8.1 - Installing LL 2.2 on Lenovo U530?
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2015, 01:44:19 PM »

anon222

• Muted
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Pentium E5700 3GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce GT 430
Be carefull about that ppa.
Please read the warnings first. https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
I've had some trouble with those drivers before. Fixing the Xorg was tricky.
It's safer to use tested drivers.
You can open software-properites-gtk and install nvidia drivers that way.
Code: [Select]
/usr/bin/software-properties-gtk --open-tab=4

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2015, 01:12:20 PM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Well , considering everything that you ve done , I guess I have no guarantee on that for sure .

Also , if you add the xorg ppa & a dist-upgrade , you d have the latest drivers for intel integrated gpu without nouveau s , if you re not a gamer of some sort it would be ok .

If you want to try it out , add to Synaptic ppa s : deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu trusty main

than , update & d-u in Terminal .
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 01:14:44 PM by altman »
HP DV7 i7 2670QM 500.1GB 8GB Ram Dual-Boot LL2.4 Beta / Extix 15.1.1 64-bit 
Dell Inspiron 1720 CrunchBang 11

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2015, 01:08:48 PM »

amandasabroad

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • MyBlogMess
Will installing the newest kernel and updating grub have any negative affect on the new grub bootloaders that I installed last night? Just got them to boot together, would hate to accidentally break them :P

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2015, 01:03:41 PM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
As an aside here , I would try Jeery s latest kernel in the forum in order to see if it solves your issue .

Here s the kernel :

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-linuxlite-3.18.0 linux-image-linuxlite-3.18.0 ; sudo update-grub
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 01:07:10 PM by altman »

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2015, 01:00:43 PM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2015, 12:41:21 PM »

amandasabroad

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • MyBlogMess
Thanks altman! After doing a bit of research I haven't quite found the necessary steps to install on my machine so far. I remember when it came to installing the proprietary Nvidia drivers on my Compaq it ended up being so screwy that I gave up, but I wanna make sure I get it right on the Lenovo.

My graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GT730M N14M-GS doesn't seem to be pulling much up besides advertisements when searching, so now I'm looking around to see if any other similar setups will give me some clues. Got completely sucked into reading this thread:

https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/bbswitch/issues/78#issuecomment-48768044

I'm currently on the GeForce forums poking around now :P

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2015, 11:43:04 AM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Glad that it worked out for you !

As for the Nouveau driver issue , I would try after update , sudo apt-get install nvidia-current , supposed to be in Ubuntu s list , let see what it will do .

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2015, 11:28:25 AM »

amandasabroad

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • MyBlogMess
Ok Update! You guys are freakin' amazing! <3 <3 <3

As of last night, I've dual booted in UEFI mode Linux and Windows 8.1 on my Lenovo U530, AND the Broadcom site needs an update, because installing the bcmwl-kernel-source package instantly fixed my wireless issue! :)

Now here's the cliffhanger, I haven't restarted since then, so there is still a chance it may have issues/disappear/turn into a flying spaghetti monster when I boot up again, but crossing my fingers that won't happen.

The only thing I've yet to do so far is install my graphics drivers. Currently inxi -G is showing:

Graphics:  Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau Resolution: [email protected]
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3

I've got an Nvidia GT730M Driver ver 327.62, going to poke around and see if I can't get this last bit installed ok :)

Thanks again everyone! Will update with results!

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2015, 02:22:23 AM »

amandasabroad

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • MyBlogMess
Thank you for the clarification, I would have totally messed that one up :P Thanks for all of your assistance, have a nice night!

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2015, 02:14:25 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Should have emphasized in last post to eliminate possible confusion:  use Boot-Repair conversion to UEFI instructions I posted before, NOT the "recommended repair" as seen in that link you posted.

Good luck.  Getting late here, so signing off for the night.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2015, 02:01:23 AM »

amandasabroad

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • MyBlogMess
yeah I realized that right about the moment I booted into Windows, usb=legacy only. :P

Well hell, I've got usb keys for days, might as well give the 14.04 experiment with Rufus a shot :)

I'll have a read through the Rufus FAQ, create the drive, conduct crazy scientific experiments, and post back with results soon.

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2015, 01:48:15 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Have a feeling you'll run into same problem because LL USB can't be booted in UEFI mode (same problem as installed version).

Also, I had a quick look at that tweaking4all link.  Something doesn't make sense to me.  Person boots USB in UEFI mode, but does the installation as if installing to an MBR disk using "logical" partitions.  If that were a Win8 computer using UEFI mode, the drive would be using GPT partitions and "logical" partition choice shouldn't even show up -- they're all "primary" on a GPT disk.

An interesting experiment that might actually work if you feel like trying:  make a live USB of Ubuntu 14.04 (64-bit) with Rufus program on Windows (http://rufus.akeo.ie/).  Since current LL is based on 14.04 and what we're actually trying to do is get Ubuntu's EFI grub on the system, I bet using Boot-Repair conversion instructions from a live Ubuntu (which can boot in UEFI mode) will work.

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2015, 01:19:26 AM »

amandasabroad

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • MyBlogMess
I think I know where I went wrong: I rebooted after installing instead of running boot repair from the live cd, which is why I'm getting that error.

Reference:
http://www.tweaking4all.com/os-tips-and-tricks/uefi-dual-boot-windows81-ubuntu/

When completed, click “Continue” and installation will start.
Ubuntu Setup – Installing ….
Installation, depending on your setting, can take a while, so this might be a good time to walk the dog or get a snack.

At the end of the process, Ubuntu will ask to reboot your computer – DO NOT REBOOT and stay in the Ubuntu Live environment. We still need to tweak a few things, because at this point your computer will boot straight into Windows again.

what I didn't do-->Click “Continue Testing“.

Step 7 – Getting Dual Boot Windows 8.x and Ubuntu to work

When we boot our computer at this point, it will go to Windows right away, which is not what you’d expect from “Dual Boot”. So we need to repair a few things.

Going to try running boot repair from the live usb instead of from the install. If you screwed up and rebooted anyway: reboot your computer and boot from the Ubuntu USB stick.

Thinking if I run it from the usb it may actually finish with no error.

After that, will run the drivers update as well :)

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 01:08:34 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Alrighty, on the LL installed on the HDD, booted into with Legacy mode, and installed updates/boot-repair

Seems like boot-repair doesn't wanna play ball unless I'm already in EFI mode. Not sure how to proceed just yet. Should I try to go ahead as if there were no error, re-enable EFI in the BIOS, and see if both OS's show up?

Booting into legacy went smoothly at least :P

Alright -- that's the only thing I was afraid might happen with that method of trying to convert.  Oh, well -- at least I/we know for sure that won't work.

You'll need to follow directions for conversion shown on this Youtube video (which should work): 

I only started looking at it after reading this (someone with my exact card 43b1 finding a solution):
http://ubuntu.aspcode.net/view/635400140124705175500812/ubuntu-1304-on-alienware-m17x-r5

Think it's worth a shot on my machine?

That article does appear to say that the driver installed by the "Install Drivers" program will work.  It can't hurt to give that a shot and see what happens.  Go ahead and run commands suggested by altman in post #29, which installs the same driver as "Install Drivers" from the Menu.

I would try this in Terminal , wonder if you have bcmwl-kernel-source installed ;

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source

If that driver works, then all should be fine on reboot and that also means the chart we've been basing things on is not up to date because it lists your card as unsupported.

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 12:54:34 AM »

amandasabroad

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • MyBlogMess
Alrighty, on the LL installed on the HDD, booted into with Legacy mode, and installed updates/boot-repair

I went to GRUB Location tab, separate boot/efi partition was already ticked, and had the correct partition for the EFI in the dropdown, so I clicked apply . However, I got the following error:

The current session is in Legacy mode. Please reboot the computer, and use this software in an EFI session. This will enable this feature. For example, use a live-USB of Boot-Repair-Disk-64bit (www.sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd), after making sure your BIOS is set up to boot USB in EFI mode.

Seems like boot-repair doesn't wanna play ball unless I'm already in EFI mode. Not sure how to proceed just yet. Should I try to go ahead as if there were no error, re-enable EFI in the BIOS, and see if both OS's show up?

Booting into legacy went smoothly at least :P

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section