Hardware - Support > Video Cards

[SOLVED] Nvidia Geforce 8400GS Rev.3 - Driver

<< < (7/8) > >>

anon222:
Bad things can happen when you install the drivers that way. If you wanted 340.24 you should have installed drivers from xorg-edgers ppa.
https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

--- Code: ---sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-340 && sudo apt-get upgrade
--- End code ---

bitsnpcs:
Hello,

I followed a guide but am still having difficulty installing the driver

--- Code: ---wget us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/340.24/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-340.24.run
sudo chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-*-340.24.run
sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm stop
sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-*-340.24.run
sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm start
--- End code ---

In the terminal I got to lightdm stop and get a black/blank screen and so was unable to continue to enter the remainder of the commands, and used reset/power button on the tower.
I then tried CTRL+ALT+F1 beginning from line 2 of the code.
I get an error message saying Nouveau is in use and is not compatible with Nvidia, I agreed to allow Nvidia to add mod files and followed the instructions to reboot and try again.
After reboot on trying again I get the same error message plus, Nvidia is unable to instal, the mod files are unable to close Nouveau.

Prior to this I tried Synaptic and Ubuntu Software Centre to see if I could locate the driver.

bitsnpcs:

--- Quote from: Valtam on August 03, 2014, 05:09:45 PM ---Try the legacy driver, the bottom option, you won't be able to use any of the other drivers as they are for newer cards. Your card is classed as a legacy card. BTW, theres no guarantee this will work, more often than not, the open source driver, the one you are currently using, is the better choice for legacy cards.

--- End quote ---

I have change to this driver, bottom option now.
The Ubunutu 14.04 splash screens have now returned on shutdown, and on boot.
Quite a lot of text is appearing on them, I have tried using the Pause/Break key it has no effect so I am unable to read it fast enough to supply the text here.
Video playback, video goes blocky and then swirls the colours on the video and freezes. It did not crash VLC or the OS but I only gave it 15 seconds after it froze.
I will change it back to the open source driver for now.

anon222:
Valtam I don't think it's a legacy card.
Wikipedia:
"During mid-2009 NVidia released another revision of the GeForce 8400 GS based on the GT218 chip.[6] It has a larger amount of RAM, is capable of DirectX 10.1, OpenGL 3.3 and Shader 4.1. This card is also known as "GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 3"."
GT218 is the same chip as in GeForce gt 205 and 210 cards.
And Nvidia's latest driver 340.24 is supporting 8 series

GeForce 8 Series:

GeForce 8800 Ultra, GeForce 8800 GTX, GeForce 8800 GTS 512, GeForce 8800 GTS, GeForce 8800 GT, GeForce 8800 GS, GeForce 8600 GTS, GeForce 8600 GT, GeForce 8600 GS, GeForce 8500 GT, GeForce 8400 GS, GeForce 8400 SE, GeForce 8400, GeForce 8300 GS, GeForce 8300, GeForce 8200, GeForce 8100 /nForce 720a

Jerry:
Try the legacy driver, the bottom option, you won't be able to use any of the other drivers as they are for newer cards. Your card is classed as a legacy card. BTW, theres no guarantee this will work, more often than not, the open source driver, the one you are currently using, is the better choice for legacy cards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version