You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

New "Install Additional Software" look needs improvement

Author (Read 3935 times)

Re: New "Install Additional Software" look needs improvement
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 07:49:26 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
I had a 12.04 version of Xubuntu that started messing up on me. I used BleachBit, then everything was right as rain again. Couldn't tell you what was causing it to mess up (didn't spend any time digging), but cleaning with BleachBit did the job.
It can happen, and when it does, they will blame the distro for being messed up.
I deal with older ones all the time, I know how they think.

Thanks for getting back with that and my apologies for taking so long to respond.  There are a number of reasons why I don't find it useful personally, but on seeing your post back and thinking a bit more about it, you may be right in saying that it could be something useful for new users coming from Windows -- so, I believe I stand corrected.

Adding Bleachbit to the "Install Additional Software" menu and the manual would stand a better chance if it was known that many others felt as you do.  It might be a good idea to make a separate post asking for people's opinions on it.  Maybe describe it briefly and give brief instructions for installing (sudo apt-get install bleachbit) for those who may not be familiar with it.  Ask them to try it and report back what they think.  Who knows?  You could be on to something here.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 10:57:55 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
We rely on feedback to strengthen the outcome of Linux Lite, if an idea is strong, has wide appeal, and is user friendly we'll look at it seriously, and perhaps even implement it. Never be afraid to offer suggestions :)

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 10:41:22 PM »

AndyOpie150

I had a 12.04 version of Xubuntu that started messing up on me. I used BleachBit, then everything was right as rain again. Couldn't tell you what was causing it to mess up (didn't spend any time digging), but cleaning with BleachBit did the job.
It can happen, and when it does, they will blame the distro for being messed up.
I deal with older ones all the time, I know how they think.

This is just a suggestion and feedback sub-forum, so if it's added great. If not, I'm not going to loose any sleep over it. I can always install it thru synaptic for those who's computer's I install this distro on.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:44:24 PM by AndyOpie150 »

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 12:16:34 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
If the system isn't cleaned it eventually will start to slow down and start developing all sorts of glitches, FC's, and freeze up a lot.
It needs some really in depth instructions though.

That's definitely a problem in Windows-based computers, but I've not seen/experienced that in Linux.  Generally speaking Linux does not accumulate mountains of miscellaneous garbage files like in Windows.  When programs are un-installed, they are un-installed.  Little bits are not left running background processes and making calls home across the internet.  (Some Linux dependency packages that were installed to support a program might be left on the system, but they are not "doing anything" and can easily be removed later if desired.)

Out of habit (from Windows days), when I first started with Linux I did install and run BleachBit.  But I haven't bothered with that at all for the past few years and haven't experienced anything like what you described above.  Can you go into a bit more detail on what you believe is building up over time that causes those problems?  Maybe I'm missing something.

Personally, I don't really see the "need" for BleachBit.  But that's just my opinion.  The number one culprit for accumulating things in the system is the web browser.  Just periodically clear the cache, that's all.  Better yet, set it to clear the cache on every exit.  Flash cookies are another thing, but there is a browser extension in Firefox that can be set to delete those on exit as well.

P.s.
Regarding your initial post:
Quote from: AndyOpie150
...when they just see a box with a blue bar going back and forth like a Cylon Warriors optical array and it's been over 5 minutes and they see no indication of progress, they are apt to cancel the download then have me remove the Linux operating system in favor of their security swiss chessed Windows XP.

That being said: If instead of the current indicator a download indicator like Synaptic or even the terminal would be a better choice. Something with a connection speed indicator as well as time to complete download indicator. An automatic view of the details wouldn't hurt either.
Something to let them know everything is working properly (not knowing leads to fear and doubt).

I agree completely with that.  Just seeing a bar going back and forth vs. seeing actual progress level can leave the impression that nothing is happening and it's stuck.  You sparked my curiosity, so I tried changing one of the scripts to see if I could get it to do that, but couldn't -- probably because I really didn't know what I was doing.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:42:37 PM by gold_finger »
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 10:00:21 AM »

AndyOpie150

Ooops. Missed the synaptic intructions in the help manual. Sorry.

BleachBit is a must have for sure. If the system isn't cleaned it eventually will start to slow down and start developing all sorts of glitches, FC's, and freeze up a lot.
It needs some really in depth instructions though.

All my suggestions are made with the New Linux user (those coming from Windows) in mind. To make the transition to Linux as enjoyable as possible.

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 02:27:21 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

There should be a distinct difference in names for the new installer and synaptic. Maybe an explanation of how to use synaptic as well.

Explanation on how to use Synaptic in the Help Manual.

I really like to use synaptic over the New Installer, but thats because I have learned on my own how to use it. Most older people (even younger ones as well) get frustrated super easy, so exacting instructions on how to use synaptic would be a good thing.

EDIT: All most forgot. BleachBit needs to be added to the New Installer as well (instructions for sure on both of them).

Will look into BleachBit thank you. I'm mindful of letting the the Install Additional Software menu balloon out of control, there needs to be some smart decisions on what gets added. Cheers.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 08:47:08 PM »

AndyOpie150

Your welcome.

By the way. I just thought of one other thing. There should be a distinct difference in names for the new installer and synaptic. Maybe an explanation of how to use synaptic as well.
I really like to use synaptic over the New Installer, but thats because I have learned on my own how to use it. Most older people (even younger ones as well) get frustrated super easy, so exacting instructions on how to use synaptic would be a good thing.

EDIT: All most forgot. BleachBit needs to be added to the New Installer as well (instructions for sure on both of them).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 08:54:25 PM by AndyOpie150 »

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 05:04:47 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Thank you for the feedback there AndyOpie150, I'll add your post to our list of things to consider. Cheers :)

New "Install Additional Software" look needs improvement
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 10:45:55 AM »

AndyOpie150

Nothing major, but pretty significant.

Some downloads are pretty big. Most people with a Windows OS on a low resource machine are going to be older. They probably have slow connection speeds (they don't like change very much). Most still have there internet service from a cable run from the telephone poles (no high speed fiber optics).

This is what I see on a regular basis as I try to upgrade my spiritual brothers and sisters older machines to a faster more secure Linux operating system.

Keeping in mind they don't like change (I usually have to go thru a lot of explaining to even get them to try Linux), when they just see a box with a blue bar going back and forth like a Cylon Warriors optical array and it's been over 5 minutes and they see no indication of progress, they are apt to cancel the download then have me remove the Linux operating system in favor of their security swiss chessed Windows XP.

That being said: If instead of the current indicator a download indicator like Synaptic or even the terminal would be a better choice. Something with a connection speed indicator as well as time to complete download indicator. An automatic view of the details wouldn't hurt either.
Something to let them know everything is working properly (not knowing leads to fear and doubt).

Because of this I am forced to have only one Linux OS in my arsenal to help get Windows XP off their low resource machines (single core processor with 256MB to 512MB of RAM).
I would really like to use Linux Lite as well. It has a lot going for it, but all they will see is that one imperfection.

Also: Could Midori be added to the "Install Additional Software" list? Chrome/Chomium and Firefox are just to resource hungry to work very well on low resource machines. I have found the Midori does the job way better.

Other than that a good music player like Audacious, and a good E-pub reader like Calibre will also be something to put in "Install Additional Software" (putting "Install Additional Software" into the task bar wouldn't hurt either).

Keep up the great work.
AndyOpie150

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section