You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Installing new software confusion and redundacy

Author (Read 4573 times)

Re: Installing new software confusion and redundacy
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 02:30:01 PM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
One of the first things I do for user convenience when setting up LL for someone is put launchers for Updates & Synaptic on the Panel.
The Menu structure remains unchanged with those entries still there for use if desired, and the Windows converts have the advantage of a single click to open each instead of navigating a menu structure.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 08:58:14 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
I'm not sure about that. It's not a location Windows users would expect to find it.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 08:44:53 AM »

Ottawagrant

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Duo Core 2 E8400 @ 3.00GHz

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43
Jerry - I do have a suggestion for you, for future LL versions. Put the 'Install updates' button on the bottom taskbar. For example. I have Install updates, Terminal, lite tweaks, home folder on it (as well as other frequent use items). It seems a simple logical solution to an LL item that gets used every day, or should be. I realize we can't put every LL item on the taskbar, but 'install updates' is an important one. Just a suggestion & I hope it's a useful thought.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 12:12:39 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

I of course encourage feedback, over half of what Linux Lite has is due to community suggestions.

In the Menu, we are bound by a combination of both how Whisker Menu is programmed, and how Ubuntu names it's software. Outside of these two factors, we can improve. Below I will outline these limitations. FYI the comparison to Windows in regards to typing eg. 'install' in the Menu is relevant to this discussion.

Install RELEASE - WhiskerMenu (will bring up every application with the word 'install'. Also Ubuntu naming)
    Run Install - WhiskerMenu (will bring up every application with the word 'install'. /usr/bin/)
    Lite Software - has to be there, no excuse needed
    Software & Updates - WhiskerMenu (will bring up every application with the word 'install'. Also Ubuntu naming)

IMO, we are no worse no better but we are certainly conscious of this and will always look for ways to simplify - providing it is within our power to do so.

P.S. going there :)

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 09:38:11 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hey torreydale,

Maybe the emojis I used didn't show up on your screen.

I didn't call you a communication killer. I was talking about the kind of reasoning.

I didn't call Windows the worst example, I was talking about worse, meaning relative to Linux (Lite).

My post was not meant to be personal. Otherwise I would have contacted you via PM. It was a response to a public reply of yours. Or did you send me a personal message I didn't receive?
More importantly, I do see discussions about ideas of making Linux Lite even better, specific things even less confusing etc. a very valid discussion that needs to be held in public.

What does that all have to do with your donation status? Do you feel it gives you permission to call someone contributing to a discussion a schmuck?

No idea, maybe you had a bad day that you felt like having to slash out like this - even as a forum moderator. Sorry, if there has been a misunderstanding or you felt attacked on a personal level. That was not my intention.

I'd suggest to go back to the topic on hand and our distribution at heart - Is the menu a possible area for improvement?

:)

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 07:29:15 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

LL-user.

I am not a communication killer and Windows isn't the worst example of an OS on the planet.  You can get multiple options from Windows or Linux Lite if you open up their respective menus and type in words like "install", "software", "document", or even "print".

I am a donator to and somewhat of an ambassador for Linux Lite.  I know about seeing things from the mom perspective because I've installed Linux Lite to my mother's desktop and laptop.  I've also installed it to the laptops of two of her sisters.  It is because of Linux Lite's focus on ease of use and its comprehensive documentation that I look to it first as the distro of choice when helping others making the transition to Linux.  It is because I want to keep the project going and to see it improve that I made it a goal to be the top donor.  I'm not there yet, but I am currently the top donor of my country.

Your post would have been better served in a personal message, but you decided to stick out your tongue publicly in the forum.  You didn't have to be a schmuck.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 06:30:08 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
You mean, you had to go deep, deep down there, don't you? :P

If we talk about improvements, it's an easy communication killer to refer to worse examples on this planet. If we go there, we easily can stop improving in any areas of life.

I'm looking upwards, to people, products, projects who/which do it better and learn from them. Or come up with something myself if I see room for improvements and nothing exists out there yet. And well, there is always room for improvement. :)

Sorry, I had to go there :D

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 06:10:29 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

What do you get when you click on the Start button and type install in Microsoft Windows?  Sorry, I had to go there.   :D

The application descriptions in the menu already provide some distinctions between the 7 options you present.  The distinctions are further detailed in the Software section of the Help Manual (Menu > Favorites > Help Manual).
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 04:32:10 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Welcome to Linux Lite and the Forum, skube! :)

I agree with you that the menu, not only in regard to "install", could do with some clean up and logical reordering.

Linux Lite has come a long way and is meanwhile an outstanding, rock solid distribution, also due to many tweaks & improvements in the background implemented by Jerry and the team. The more these rough edges have been smoothed out, the more important are becoming these "little" things like menu, design, consistency, etc. to take such an awesome distribution to the next level!

Enjoy Linux Lite, skube :)

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 03:51:48 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
Could Install RELEASE and Run Install (not sure what it does) be removed or hidden in menu like Lite Upgrade was until it was needed?  :-\

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

Installing new software confusion and redundacy
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 02:57:51 PM »

skube

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
As a new user with a fresh set of eyes, one thing I find really confusing is the myriad of ways to go about installing software.

If I open up the menu and start typing: install

I'll be presented with at least 7 different options to choose what to install.

• Install Updates & Install Drivers both kinda make sense and seem appropriate
  • Install RELEASE however seems out-of-place since I've already installed
  • Install/Remove Software seems ok and self-explanatory but appears to make the next three options redundant
  • Run Install offers no clue to what it does
  • Lite Software seems like it could be a tab within Install/Remove Software
  • Software & Updates perhaps simply a poor naming choice as it seems like it should be covered with the very first option

Of all the options, I would think Install/Remove Software would be the one most would choose. And yet after selecting it, the user is presented with Synaptic Package Manager and a very confusing interface.

If the goal is make using LL easy for anyone, especially someone like mom, then I think this process could be more clear.

Just my opinion though.  :o

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section