You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

lighten Lite?

Author (Read 5997 times)

Re: lighten Lite?
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 02:04:12 PM »

smhardesty

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A8-6410 APU

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon R5 Graphics × 4
I guess I just don't understand how anyone can believe their info/data is safe and private when it's housed on a server located God only knows where. I'm old school, for sure, and I go to great lengths to protect my data. My really sensitive stuff is housed on a desktop server behind a hardware firewall. It's only turned on when I decide I need to do something with data that is located only on that machine. I do all my general communicating on this laptop. Nothing on here would be considered critical info. All my photographs for my photography hobby are on the desktop. I don't even want a copy of one of my originals getting free on the 'Net. Anything I post is usually a reduced resolution type image with copyright info attached and sometimes includes a watermark. So to be forced to store all my data on a server somewhere out in cyberspace just gives me cold chills.

The same is true for being forced to use an application on a cloud server. I'll just never do it. The real driving force behind doing such a thing is greed, pure and simple. If word processors, spreadsheets, and web browsers are no longer made available to install on locally and personally owned hardware, the software producers would charge a "per use" fee every time we want to use that type application. We'd be required to provide credit card info and then each time we use that app, BANG, a credit card charge. Nope. Not me!

And let me add. If general computing ever does reach the point where it's all done on a "cloud" device, my monthly contribution to developers that still produce a distribution like Lite will increase considerably. I'd rather pay Jerry and the guys twice as much as it would cost for cloud computing to keep all my apps and data on my own hardware.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:08:37 PM by smhardesty »
Steve

If I was able to help, click my "Thank" link.

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 01:14:52 PM »

rijnsma

• Forum Regular
  • Never give up..
    • View Profile
I'm not fanatic in this, but I feel something like it.  ::) Not 'safe' if that says anything nowadays.

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 11:03:18 AM »

elelme

• Forum Regular
  • Deleted
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 5.x
Computing will be done on servers in the cloud from licensed consumer devices. MSs main competition is Google, and the Android system is going to come to PCs with a vengeance in the consumer PC market soon after the release of Android O. Google chrome book was just a dabble. Ubuntu will follow the model and keep Linux alive.
TC   

Let me be the first to say that if, and/or when, computing is done in the cloud and not on personally owned hardware, I'll be done with computing. Period. I will NEVER store data on a cloud server and will certainly not own a piece of hardware that will only allow me to use software on a server in the cloud. It will be a sad day, but I absolutely will never do it.  >:(

Steve, you and me both, buddy.

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 03:18:01 AM »

bfb

• Banned
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
I particularly like Lite, and use only this distro on all my machines, because of the nice balance between Lite and well-selected ready-to-go software ...

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 10:18:31 PM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

There are plenty of lightweight distros.  Lots of awesome ones!  AntiX and MX14 come to mind instantly.  Then there's a bunch of Ubuntu-based ones, and of course you can get an iso of Ubuntu-core (or Xubuntu-Core, etc) and mix your own ultralight just-right-for-you mixture.

Linux Lite aims to be lite, but also to be good for newbies and novices to Linux.  That's a fine line to walk, and I honestly don't think anyone has done it better than Linux Lite.  Lightweight is easy.  Newbie-friendly is easy.  But combining the two in such wonderful balance is a phenomenal balancing act.  A lighter version of LL would lose much of the wonderful simplicity and easy learning curve that makes LL ideal for newcomers.

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 08:26:03 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
... you guys can always spin up a custom distro under Systemback.

I watched a couple of You Tube videos and read http://linuxliteos.com/manual/tutorials.html#systemback  on Systemback. Having to worry about what to exclude and manual partitioning in order to install on other computers turned me off. When I was originally shopping for a distro, manual partitioning ruled out some distros. I know it should be simple but I am not interested in learning how. If there is not going to be a lighter version soon, I will just use the regular version and uninstall what is not needed and restrict what the guest can use.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:03:19 PM by Coastie »

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 04:14:13 PM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

Note your  basic ethos for LL  Jerry - Agree fully. However technically Addons via Lite Software would in fact be "bundled" albeit just one click away.  Everything in LS would have been optimised for LL, as have the other existing offerings. i.e plain sailing installation   i.e the worry/ hurdle of having to use synaptic has been removed??   Not more difficult  really than the new user having to download  updates ?
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 02:04:50 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Also keep in mind that we are Linux Lite. The 'light' is a core part of our name and brand. Making something lighter that is already light, will have it's consequences for the original brand. Please give that some thought. There are other considerations like the fact that we bundle an office suite and MS doesn't. We beat MS in many, many areas.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 04:26:08 PM by Jerry »

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »

smhardesty

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Computing will be done on servers in the cloud from licensed consumer devices. MSs main competition is Google, and the Android system is going to come to PCs with a vengeance in the consumer PC market soon after the release of Android O. Google chrome book was just a dabble. Ubuntu will follow the model and keep Linux alive.
TC   

Let me be the first to say that if, and/or when, computing is done in the cloud and not on personally owned hardware, I'll be done with computing. Period. I will NEVER store data on a cloud server and will certainly not own a piece of hardware that will only allow me to use software on a server in the cloud. It will be a sad day, but I absolutely will never do it.  >:(
Steve

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 01:59:30 PM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

My concern re "Androidification" of PCs becoming the norm is the security aspect.  Already Andoid phones are become vulnerable to exploitation through "infected" apps. 
Secondly I have no desire to go via the cloud when writing  etc.  want to keep security "at home"
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:58:51 PM by newtusmaximus »
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 01:46:17 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Consumer home and personal small business computing is at an event horizon know it or not. I'd be surprised if Intel moves much beyond i7 on PCs in the next few years, while exponentially increasing server cpu speeds. I also expect Windows 10 on consumer boxes to be through with consumer owned software within five years. Computing will be done on servers in the cloud from licensed consumer devices. MSs main competition is Google, and the Android system is going to come to PCs with a vengeance in the consumer PC market soon after the release of Android O. Google chrome book was just a dabble. Ubuntu will follow the model and keep Linux alive.

TC     
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 01:26:12 PM »

Ottawagrant

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Duo Core 2 E8400 @ 3.00GHz

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43
I am big, big, big time in favor of this. I would like to see LibreOffice, & CUPS moved to Lite Software. It would be fantastic to have the installation of Linux Lite as JUST the OS, & a web browser. This is not to be critical of Jerry & team in any way, shape, or idea. It's just that there is a very true truth about Linux. It's easier to add something than it is to remove it (because of dependencies). By removing some of the built-in software, features, & their daemons this would help older, slower (or we just plain want it) computers on limited memory & CPU's. LibreOffice is not too hard to remove, but boy! can you brick your computer when it's time to remove CUPS. I think Jerry's suggestion that it be a fork of the regular LL is a great idea. Maybe by "Linux Lite 4.0" we can have "Linux Liter 1.0".

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 01:18:04 PM »

smhardesty

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I'm hoping what you guys are discussing would be a second, optional type ISO as opposed to making the only available ISO a "Super Lite" version. Since one of Lite's "purposes" is to be an easy to use Linux distribution for Windows users it would seem to me that a stripped down ISO would be a certain turn off to those users. Even users of some other distro might be a bit taken back be the lack of what is normally considered basic, everyday use, packages like Firefox, LibreOffice, etc.

If I misunderstood, just ignore me. I read over the thread a couple times and I just didn't get a real clear idea that this was supposed to be a second, optional ISO.
Steve

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 01:15:29 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

32 bit support for Deb Jessie will be around until at least 2020. That's not to say it won't continue well beyond that point. Unfortunately this is not the case for Deb Stretch. For the average user I wouldn't count on 32 bit support beyond five years from now for Deb based DEs of any ilk. This does not mean 32bit will not still be around as there are some specialized necessary uses for only 32 bit. 32 bit machines will still be able to find OSs to run, but Deb security support will formally end for Jessie in 2020. The Ubuntu window is shorter for some older hardware because the LTS is Deb Stretch based.The next stable branch of Deb will probably end 32 bit development and support in Ubuntu completely though a 32 bit spin off may still occur in say for instance Lubuntu though I doubt Xubuntu.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 01:07:34 PM »

bayoubooger

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: ASUS X541SA

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 405
Coastie:

I may have some suggestions for you by the end of today. I am currently working on a specific project of my own building an Ubu ISO with specialized EFI boot tools, ntfs tools, certain forensic tools, and virtualization tools, that will allow testing and/or installation from stored ISOs, among several other features. Basically a one time install that will facilitate any future modifications to dual boot systems eliminating grub and efi issues once and for all with enough reach using a virtualized Ubu server to handle multiple domains and an HDD installed  footprint of 30g or less. I have had success with these things from full system but customizing and/or building an ISO is time consuming for my hardware and myself. I drank so much coffee the other day, I had to drink a six pack of beer before trying to sleep.

TC

Try Guinness Stout, you only need three...
changed from Windows 10 to a REAL OS

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section