You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

My take / suggestions on linux lite

Author (Read 17619 times)

Re: My take / suggestions on linux lite
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 09:45:50 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Thank you for your comments chke419. Some people complain there are too many distros out there. This is one of those examples where choice is a necessity. Arch is a challenge, but a rewarding one once you start and at the end of the day, you'll have exactly what you want.

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 08:32:34 PM »

truckerjay

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel quad core

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel chip
Arch?   From a windows user to Arch?  Hope you like doing a whole bunch of terminal building Arch.  Get to know chroot very well.  Really learn how to edit config files.  Yes you build arch your way but it's all manual and takes a long time.  Even the install isn't all that easy.  If one really wants to learn the inner workings of linux yes build Arch it's a really good way.  If you don't like the looks of the desktop linuxlite uses you know it can be changed.  I myself prefer fast and light so xfce is one of my favorites plus it's stable.  You could try Mate.  Instead of building Arch you could install ubuntu mini and pick whatever desktop you wish or as much of a desktop as you wish and you get bare bones with only software you choose.  Linux has so many options.  But what I found here at Linuxlite is a light fast OS with just a touch more than I would put in it.  It still is small on the hard drive takes very little resources to run.  It is very stable.  Currently on the 2.8 Beta for the last few days and I have had no problems with it.  Haven't even logged into 2.6.

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 07:23:15 PM »

chke419

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel 2.53ghz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M

To have a full modern desktop operating system like Linux Lite, with its preloaded apps, and all the other apps I've added, take up 1/3 to 1/4 of the space of a bare Windows install makes me scratch my head when I hear the word bloatware.  I have a ton of apps installed in my Linux Lite build, and it still takes up 7GB or less on my root partition.  I don't know if it's even possible to do that with Windows and still have it do much.  I guess I have a different idea of what constitutes bloat.

I respect your thoughts and thanks for your reply. I know all these new OS's have grown greatly in size beginning with Vista and up. I had XP 32 bit plus extra software running on a 4 gig thumb drive booting in a ramdrive and 2.5 gig was temporary storage of that 4. I would be still using it if it were still supported but it's not. I am just unsure what will be my next OS. I will say LL is a good change from the 2 dozen disto's I've tried already. I figure I will give Elementary OS a go and possibly give Arch a try also since it's a build your own type distro. I'm starting to think the days of the smaller OS's are all gone especially when I think back to the great Windows 98 SE which was their best in my opinion.

All's I know is I would like to thank everyone for there thoughts and suggestions on here, you've all been very nice. ;) I may be back!

Thanks again and may god bless

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 05:26:09 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

There are many things which attract and keep me in the Linux camp.  But the main thing that made me really take notice was this.  I have a home lab I was building.  It contained a server with just one 250GB hard drive.  In addition to some VMs running router images, I had some Windows based VMs and Linux based VMs.  As I was running out of space on that 250GB hard drive, I noticed the Windows VMs (with a bare install, ie. no office suite, DVD burner tools, etc.) took up 3-4 times the space as my Linux based VMs which came preloaded with usable, productivity based, vetted software...AND the Linux VMs performed better.  It was then that I began to seriously investigate how much I could move Linux more to the front seat and put Windows in the back seat.

To have a full modern desktop operating system like Linux Lite, with its preloaded apps, and all the other apps I've added, take up 1/3 to 1/4 of the space of a bare Windows install makes me scratch my head when I hear the word bloatware.  I have a ton of apps installed in my Linux Lite build, and it still takes up 7GB or less on my root partition.  I don't know if it's even possible to do that with Windows and still have it do much.  I guess I have a different idea of what constitutes bloat.

Again, I'll mention Elementary OS.  The readability of their panel is very nice, and it has the ability to transition with a maximized window or a changed wallpaper.  Though its image file is several hundred megabytes larger than Linux Lite's, it does come as bare as a naked installation of any Windows desktop OS.  You get to install nearly everything on your own, your applications menu will have less clutter, and your hard drive usage can be optimized as a result.

I'd prefer you stick around, but based on what I'm reading, that distro would seem to suit your comments.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 01:41:35 PM »

chke419

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

chke419, LL's look is quite deliberate. We have explained before in many posts why we 'look the way we do'. We don't want eye candy to be the focus of LL. Usability, Software and Support is what sets us apart from Windows. Customization should be the individuals choice, not dictated by the OS. We give you a basic set up, and excellent guidance to change it to your tastes. That should be celebrated.

We are here to show people there are alternatives to proprietary operating systems. The software that we bundle is very carefully chosen. Let me give you two examples. LibreOffice. Does Windows give you Office preinstalled and for free? No. When I used Windows, there were certain video and audio formats that you couldn't play on Media Player. That issue disappears on linux. These are strengths, not hindrances.

On linux distros, there are no limits to what you can do to your system. You will come to appreciate this feeling of empowerment and freedom over time.

I certainly value your feedback, in fact, we rely on it to make LL better. Thank you :)

Hopefully none of this is taken as offensive as that is not my intention at all by any users. And thank you for your response.

I know I am not good with explaining myself near as well I some but when I was referring to the visual side of LL I meant the basic readability of the tray icons mostly. I did say yes the rest of the icons were bland, dull and flat in appearance as the gray on gray or black and gray is still hard to see speaking of easy usability. The eye candy part I care less about as again like I've said earlier I've used windows all these years and never changed the look the whole time. I just stated that possibly some colors instead would make the readability more efficient. Sorry for the confusion. Yes I did say the bar was also flat and dull but it's true, it could stand a little time giving it some life.

Secondly, yes I do know office wasn't installed with windows and to me it was a blessing because those whom don't use it has the option of saving allot of space. Not that it was good or bad but having that option as many of users expressed over the years in windows is very important. I took the time to install and try both 32 and 64 bit software offered by LL and noticed references to gaming was even added when not needed in the 32 bit. I'm sorry but to me this is only known as bloatware. If I want it then it still resides in the repositories.

Now I am no programmer but one thing I have noticed is with other distro's and windows is that the 32 bit install is nearly half the install of the 64 bit yet when I downloaded your versions they were both the same size.

Now on to the good side of this distro, I have to admit that this is amazingly stable. I also very much appreciated that the easy access to what I call the control panel was something others could learn a thing from. Instead of a pile of confusing apps lined up in a menu bar you went the step further. No I don't expect this to be windows but it helps to kinda see similarities to help people like myself that's used windows for so long that are considering switching due to windows 10 (The biggest disaster of MS).

To me what makes a great OS is one that's very light, stable, secure that gives the users options to install optional software and the readability is easy. I am happy to spend all day installing software I use instead of spending time to visually change the desktop just for easy readability as I even know little about that in windows. I have enough to learn just switching into a new OS.

I was one of those power users in windows that used XP lite and n lite and scripts to take the bloat out of it among other things. I even at one point ran it entirely from a ramdrive saving files wanted through the network. Now days light is so much better especially with all those prying eyes.

So again, these are just my thoughts. Many may disagree, many may not but I took my time to say my piece. But this is what I am looking for in the OS of my choice. Yours does come closer to what I look for then the one's I've tried so far.

If anyone does know of a linux distro that is closer to what I look for please feel free to add a comment.

Thanks for your time and consideration,

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 08:14:56 PM »

truckerjay

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel quad core

• VIDEO CARD: Intel chip
I love the simplicity LL starts with.  Easily customizable search around and find themes and wallpapers you like I have alot of wallpapers and have it set to change every 5 minutes.  I do agree I used to build my own from a mini install of ubuntu.  I also don't like alot of software I don't use.  I don't use office software.  It all can be uninstalled.  Personally I install lubuntu software center just for the ease of uninstalling software I don't want.  Lite and fast is what I like and LL does it.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 02:32:45 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

chke419, LL's look is quite deliberate. We have explained before in many posts why we 'look the way we do'. We don't want eye candy to be the focus of LL. Usability, Software and Support is what sets us apart from Windows. Customization should be the individuals choice, not dictated by the OS. We give you a basic set up, and excellent guidance to change it to your tastes. That should be celebrated.

We are here to show people there are alternatives to proprietary operating systems. The software that we bundle is very carefully chosen. Let me give you two examples. LibreOffice. Does Windows give you Office preinstalled and for free? No. When I used Windows, there were certain video and audio formats that you couldn't play on Media Player. That issue disappears on linux. These are strengths, not hindrances.

On linux distros, there are no limits to what you can do to your system. You will come to appreciate this feeling of empowerment and freedom over time.

I certainly value your feedback, in fact, we rely on it to make LL better. Thank you :)

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 02:22:45 PM »

chke419

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

So this is what I mean, this person has the bar icons in a clean, colorful look that you can easily see. This is what the default should be. The bar is still the drab, flat grey but it's a beginning. BTW, I've not seen anyone who changed the bar yet. If only the internet connection icon ect. were as easily seen.

http://postimg.org/image/o97wpnd2l/

This is so much better then the gray and gray look that is so hard to read.

Again this is not to be insultive but hopefully constructive criticism to better the distro into something much more enjoyable. And thanks so much for welcoming me to the forum.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 01:42:21 PM »

chke419

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Linux Lite looks worse than Windows 3.11?  Ouch.  That hurt.  Perhaps your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th impression will be different.  If not, an Ubuntu LTS based distro I can recommend that meets your take would be Elementary OS.  It's often hailed for its looks and doesn't come pre-installed with the things you mentioned.

Well I didn't mean for it to be taken harshly but I was just trying to be on the honest side. Like I said earlier, I do like this distro. I like the menu and the fact that it has the "control pannel" like button on the bar and it is very stable. The desktop lacks color for icons and maybe even some 3Dish buttons, something to liven it up some and make it more visible. I've played with this distro for a week so far and I've not broken it yet.  :P

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 01:31:15 PM »

chke419

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

On the subject, Libre office has some inter-workings within LL; from recollection it shouldn't be removed (if you're planning to do so)...

I am only speaking from past tries with other distro's but others just install some small "word" programs in offices spot. I just like starting out with something I can change to my needs instead of having started with something being shoveled down my throat that you can't uninstall. That is one reason MS Office isn't installed by MS by default and of course "they need the money".  :o Imagine the space saved if it weren't installed with the distro for those who don't use it.

As for the drivers, I installed all needed drivers for the laptop. The only thing I am not sure of is if there is a list of drivers installed somewhere to see if they are all installed instead of just some. This computer comes with security features most don't have like Credential Vault Device ect.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 01:17:04 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you stay a while and continue to feel free to post. 

Linux Lite looks worse than Windows 3.11?  Ouch.  That hurt.  Perhaps your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th impression will be different.  If not, an Ubuntu LTS based distro I can recommend that meets your take would be Elementary OS.  It's often hailed for its looks and doesn't come pre-installed with the things you mentioned.

For the record, there is a section of this forum where users post screenshots of their Linux Lite desktops.  Perhaps you can give that a gander.  If you see something you like, you can connect with that user and maybe they can help you get your desktop to look like theirs.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 01:20:01 PM by torreydale »
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 12:58:12 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

Welcome... I too am new to Linux although still have to use Windows today...

Remember LL runs very well on older hardware and not as resource intense...
The XFCE (the desktop) is a lighter environment but can still do a lot, see some members stuff: https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/screenshots/
There's info among the pages (I installed PLANK but find myself using default)

I agree with the OS and app argument more can be less.. and less can less...
Firefox comes standard, if I want I can install Chrome.... Not everyone needs both - - But out of the box you're ready..
The office app does it need to be there when you can download it or another variation? Me, I'd like if Windows came with office and I had the option to remove it (I typically install it anyway). On the subject, Libre office has some inter-workings within LL; from recollection it shouldn't be removed (if you're planning to do so)...

Something else; check "Install Drivers" from Menu if you haven't, you may have updates for some of your drivers... Look under the Additional tab

There's lots of knowledgeable friendly folks on here, should you run into questions...

« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 02:06:34 PM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

My take / suggestions on linux lite
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 12:31:19 PM »

chke419

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

First off let me say this is the first linux distro that I've tried that I am actually impressed with being a windows user since the dos days with the 286 computers. Yes it's linux and I know very little about it then just the very basics but this has to be one of the simplest transitions I've found so far.

I downloaded it, transferred it to the thumb drive and installed it to another and off I went to setting it up on my Dell M6400. I was not surprised linux still lacks in drivers nor the desktop still looks flat and the icons are boring but I got the basic drivers installed and just put up with the dull desktop theme for now.

The main suggestions I have for this distro is:

1.) Explaining my thoughts ........ MS Windows started messing up when they started confusing a OS with packing it down with mandatory software from the company. Linux lite could learn from this right along with most other linux distro's out there. If your gona push a distro then push it but don't push the programs. Another words, I know all OS's need some software to be able to work the OS however the office software, multimedia software ect. doesn't need to be there, like I said earlier push a clean distro, that's what the repositories are on the OS for which I should add are very easy to use, even for me.

2.) The extremely plain and flat icon's and bar will have some people killing themselves to figure out themes which I won't mind saying is more of a headache then one deserves. On that manual it says to go to several sites and find a theme and I found more themes then not that will not work with a default linux lite. With mostly flat 2 color grays and blacks it's even hard to see some of the default icons on the bar not to mention depressing. Even though some will disagree MS Windows uses vibrant colors and 3D effects to liven up a dull desktop, I hate to say it but even Windows 3.11 looks more interesting then this distro visually. Not to mention you can easily see it.

I know this is only just my thoughts but I would rather spend time installing software I want then going through the major headache of killing myself trying to find a colorful theme so I can see an exciting distro especially being new to linux.

So in summery this is a well put together distro that I find I could switch to however stripping it down to a true only distro and making it look more lively, easier to see and more exciting could be major improvements.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section