You are Here:
Linux Lite 7.0 RC1 Released - See Release Announcement Section

Is the 'dd' command absent from LL4.6?

Author (Read 1922 times)

Re: Is the 'dd' command absent from LL4.6?
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 07:27:58 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x

A mate asked me to prepare the USB stick for him on one of our LL machines (see sig), and this happened to mention another distro.
You took offence and said I was "kinda rude".  I'm beginning to find this very stressful.

Well I will say in the politest possible way that I'm truly lost for words, especially since I've always supported LL & had only very positive things to say about LL, the team and the community generally, not to mention contributing financially in a significant way. 

The folk on here know that I'm a respectful person and I've always been very grateful for their help and advice with LL - I've been here for more than 5 years and only had positive interaction with the friendly community on here. I also try to help out where I can, even though my linux skills are pretty basic.

In the teaching profession, you always praise the child in public, but scold them in private - it's about respect for a person's dignity.
In a similar vein, if you want to reprimand someone on the forum, over a perceived wrongdoing, please do it via a private message - thanks.

You've had your say, now I am going to have mine and we'll leave it at that and move on.

Firstly, you haven't even acknowledged my help, I've provided you with the solution and there's been no gratitude for that. I'm used to that from many new people that I describe as 'post and run' who join, comment then leave without any acknowledgment of the answer. I expect better from long time members.

...not to mention contributing financially in a significant way. 

Hearing this disturbs me. It implies that because you have contributed financially, that you are entitled to some kind of special treatment, exclusion from the Rules or 'diplomatic immunity' from any future wrong doing. Everybody on this Forum gets treated the same, regardless of contribution, background or even if they are a Mod.

In the teaching profession, you always praise the child in public, but scold them in private - it's about respect for a person's dignity.
In a similar vein, if you want to reprimand someone on the forum, over a perceived wrongdoing, please do it via a private message - thanks.

We would not be having this back and forth if you had simply applied good judgement to your post, and previous posts with regards to other Distros. There's no intention here to embarrass you or ridicule you publicly. People just aren't getting the message here and I've asked for people to stop making these kind of posts before and it all seems to fall on deaf ears. If there is no public example, then people will continue to ignore basic courtesy's. I look forward to future contributions from you, I don't hold grudges unless there has been regular, sustained or deliberate flouting of the Rules. I encourage yourself and others to read over the Forum rules again and be at the very least, familiar with basic posting guidelines. Cheers, now let's all move on. I consider the matter closed :)

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 12:39:45 PM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
Do you get any output for the following?
Code: [Select]
man dd

Thanks torreydale - yes, the output describes what 'dd' does, so it would seem to be there.

@Jerry
A mate asked me to prepare the USB stick for him on one of our LL machines (see sig), and this happened to mention another distro.
You took offence and said I was "kinda rude".  I'm beginning to find this very stressful.

Well I will say in the politest possible way that I'm truly lost for words, especially since I've always supported LL & had only very positive things to say about LL, the team and the community generally, not to mention contributing financially in a significant way. 

The folk on here know that I'm a respectful person and I've always been very grateful for their help and advice with LL - I've been here for more than 5 years and only had positive interaction with the friendly community on here. I also try to help out where I can, even though my linux skills are pretty basic.

64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 10:58:38 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

I wasn't going to answer this because he's effectively asking how to burn another distro here, kinda rude. Put the bs at the end of the command, and please be mindful that people are here for Linux Lite support. Technically, yes, you could argue that you are because you've asked if the dd command is included in LL. dd is in every distro, it's a core application.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 09:30:27 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

Do you get any output for the following?

man dd
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

Is the 'dd' command absent from LL4.6?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 04:34:28 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
Using terminal, I wanted to create a bootable USB stick with another distro on it - it works fine when I use LL3.8.
But, when I do this in LL4.6, I get the following:

mike@D630:~$ sudo dd bs=4M if=/home/mike/Downloads/antiX-19.1_386-base.iso of=/dev/sdc status=progress oflag=sync
 mike@D630:~$: command not found

I've checked the /dev/sdx designation, and it's correct.

Does this mean that the 'dd' command is not pre-packaged in LL4.6, unlike in LL3.8 ?
I looked in Synaptic Package Manager, but couldn't find any application listed as 'dd'.

So, how do I run the 'dd' command in LL4.6?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 07:28:18 PM by Jerry »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 7.0 RC1 Released - See Release Announcement Section