You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Firefox End of LEGACY Addons with v57

Author (Read 4207 times)

Re: Firefox End of LEGACY Addons with v57
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 06:46:10 AM »

Yoru3

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Server2 - AMD E2KM1I-DELUX ITX, 1.6Ghz dual core

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Integrated HD 6310

• Kernel: 5.x
Note this is intended as short term, and at owners risk
to disable Firefox at the application level, (in addition to system level) so that it won't
try and update when running.

From Firefox browser in address bar
about:config

Then seach for these settings and double click to change.
app.update.auto - false
app.update.enabled - false
app.update.silent - false

and be advised of Jerry's warning
I know you believe you understand what you think I said. But I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
:Communication Theory

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 06:03:11 AM »

Yoru3

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks Jerry,

I fully appreciate what you are saying about vulnerability, but for myself, and I suspect many others, without the 'hold' on Firefox it would also stop me doing any updating until I had got a more permanent solution sorted, which may be beyond 14th Oct 2017.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said. But I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 05:35:11 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-mark hold <package-name>
but I wouldn't recommend it. If a new vulnerability appears on the version you are using, you place your computer at serious risk.

Firefox End of LEGACY Addons with v57
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 05:31:37 AM »

Yoru3

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi all,

Most will probably know that with Firefox version 57, expected to be released on 14 Oct 2017, the LEGACY Addons, which everyone relies on, will no longer work (marked LEGACY in the 'Tools/Add-ons' menu view. The extensions are expected to be replaced by a new approach, but so far, the number of replacements is not looking good.

Since for years the whole strategy of Firefox has been to rely on the Addons, to create a usable, configurable modern browser, without them, it will turn Firefox into a very basic browser overnight, and will be like turning a fully functioning word-processor into notebook.

It may be that there will be a last minute surge of equivalent new Adons, or it may cause some to change to another browser, if they haven’t already done so, and many of those may choose a browser that supports Firefox Addons, such as Pale Moon etc.

The point is after 14 Oct 2017 the LEGACY Addons will not be made available, as a matter of policy.
And software browsers that are compatible with Firefox, such as Pale Moon, require Firefox and its Addons to be installed (addons and compatible version), which will be zapped by the version 57 update. Note that 'Add Bookmark Here2' has already become incompatible with version 56.

So the question is, how do you stop individual package, such as Firefox being updated, when you periodically select to install updates?

Thank You in Advance

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section