You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

SURVEY: What's your experience of LL installed in UEFI mode - good, bad or ugly?

Author (Read 5284 times)

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
ASUS mo board. My guess would be AMI with Aptio. If that is the case there should be an ESP on board, updates possible, modifications possible. If Aptio is not present windows may be booting from media load. It's worth understanding your situation. These links may help you in future situations with your machine.

https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI

https://ami.com/support/bios-uefi-firmware-support/

Trinidad

All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)

Sorry Coastie that you found my post unclear.  ... - tell me if that still sounds like gobble-de-gook and I'll change it accordingly. ... I'm assuming, Coastie, that you choose Legacy either because UEFI didn't work for you, or you went straight for Legacy at the outset? ...

Regards
Mike

Not your post, it is just me. Your post and video is more technical than I want to learn.  :-[ I don't think this computer even booted the live DVD much less install LL so I called ASUS for help. Never tried UEFI and have no plans to do so. If I had understood the UEFI problem before I bought this computer, I would probably have bought a computer with Linux already installed and installed LL. Second choice would have been a computer with BIOS instead of UEFI. With ASUS's help, I am very satisfied with this computer now.

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
Don't understand all the details you are requesting.

Sorry Coastie that you found my post unclear.  I was just curious to know who had installed LL with UEFI, on what PC, in single LL or Win/LL dual-boot set-up, and finally, whether it worked or not i.e. what difficulties experienced - tell me if that still sounds like gobble-de-gook and I'll change it accordingly... :-[

The reason I'm curious is that the tutorial I posted at https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/tutorials/tutorial-how-to-set-up-a-winll-dual-boot-with-uefi-fully-enabled/ , which represents a transcript of Wani's fast-moving (and at times difficult-to-follow) YouTube video, has received more than 6500 hits, and would like to know what users' experience of LL in UEFI was, assuming they tried it... 

I'm assuming, Coastie, that you choose Legacy either because UEFI didn't work for you, or you went straight for Legacy at the outset?

Thanks for any further feedback Coastie, or from anyone else reading this on any LL UEFI set-up you may have installed... :)

Regards
Mike
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 07:18:28 AM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
 :-[ Don't understand all the details you are requesting. Will help of ASUS, I set this new computer to boot in legacy and installed Linux Lite 2.something. Recently installed 3.0 without problem.

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
I have...
SET-UP:   Win8.1/LL2.8 UEFI dual boot
PC:           Asus G750JS
PROBLEM(S): see Tutorial post#1 Section F, problem3 at https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/tutorials/tutorial-how-to-set-up-a-winll-dual-boot-with-uefi-fully-enabled/
                        Occasional sticking at start-up screen - solution in tutorial applied seems to work, though sometimes may need to repeat it more than once when the 'sticking' arises
LEVEL OF SATISFACTION: good
WORTH IT ?      Yes, only if it really does potentially protect my PC against any malware (e.g. 'rootkits'), otherwise it's use is probably questionable... 

Please  indicate your dual-boot or single-boot Linux Lite UEFI set-up (distribution release used), the PC make/model you run it on, and any problem9s) with it's smooth running, and your level of satisfaction with the set-up and whether you think it's worth the trouble to set-up. 

I'm sure this will be useful for anyone interested in Linux Lite & UEFI
Many thanks :)

Regards
Mike

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 07:20:28 AM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section